Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Well I am sure Faleel is an enormous Guy Fawkes fan but I would like to hear his explanation as well.

The EE/Possible Soundtrack Press Release, I don't wanna endure all the speculation, whining, naysaying, spoilers etc.

Obviously I am out of the loop or am too befuddled to remember but where has this possible 5th of November press release stuff been mentioned.

"Didn't you hear our song? haven't we been going on about this for hours!?"

We are only going on last years "schedule", the 2nd or 5th/6th I think it was?

Ok so it seems that the 1-minute previews of each track appeared on 8th November last year, on qubuz. The press release came on the 2nd November, and Radagast the Brown appeared online on the 5th. The Empire full listen was on the 13th I think.

Yep. We had a fairly good idea of how things were going to be around the start of November. Hopefully schedules aren't so far behind that that changes this year. Although I wonder if Empire would even do a streaming score again. Seems like it may have only been due to the excitement of Middle-Earth returning. Now we're already back.

Here are pictures Jason took last year of his copy of the SE. Looks a whole lot sturdier than the European version

Inky's linky

Oh, man. That is so much better than the Decca release. I actually ripped mine, because sliding the CD out on the inside, past the pouch that keeps the booklet, requires you to tilt the disc slightly. I put too much stress on it and now there's a tear in the front cover. Damn.

Here are pictures Jason took last year of his copy of the SE. Looks a whole lot sturdier than the European version

Inky's linky

Oh, man. That is so much better than the Decca release. I actually ripped mine, because sliding the CD out on the inside, past the pouch that keeps the booklet, requires you to tilt the disc slightly. I put too much stress on it and now there's a tear in the front cover. Damn.

I evacuated the CDs to safety of a normal double CD jewel case after I bought the SE.

LotR OSTs were all locked before their respective sessions were finished and thus were missing some of the central set pieces of the trilogy. It is unfortunately a normal part of the hectic scheduling, especially in the case of LotR and Hobbit where the recording sessions last so unusually long.

Honestly, the final film and eventual CR will have the newer revised compositions, I want the OST to have the oldest compositions, highlighting Shore's original plans before director tinkering!

Honestly, the final film and eventual CR will have the newer revised compositions, I want the OST to have the oldest compositions, highlighting Shore's original plans before director tinkering!

It is a bit doubled edged sword as sometimes the film versions are actually better than earlier versions (and sometimes it is vice versa).

Right, but we'll eventually get the revised versions anyway, so let's make the OST as different as possible please!

If there is a certainty of CRs then by all means crank the initial OST full of alternates! ;)

I have a feeling we won't be getting CRs this time around. Maybe some kind of expanded edition, but nothing like the CRs.

I have a feeling we won't be getting CRs this time around. Maybe some kind of expanded edition, but nothing like the CRs.

I have this fear too. Hopefully it won't be the case. I really want film versions of the finale and The Valley of Imladris.

Speaking of which The Two Towers CR is fetching ridiculous prices at Amazon these days. I wonder why there has not been another batch in such a long time.

Just saw that, $1225 or something stupid like that. Glad I bought mine for reasonable prices!

I guess they're expensive to produce and they don't want to do a massive print in case they don't sell through. Which is silly really as they seem eternally popular.

Maybe because WB is planning a Super-Special-Limited Enchillada, with all six Middle-Earth Complete Recordings, the two Doug Adams books about LotR and The Hobbit, all six OSTs, and a hair from Conrad Pope enclosed in a crystal.

The redesigned LotR CR will have the credit "Approved by Conrad Pope".

Well, that's his job to reassure people. He's not gonna say: "Everything is going wrong. The score sounds nothing like Shore's music!"

Since when is that his job? Did I miss something? It's so fun to be so negative all of the time!!!

Maybe because WB is planning a Super-Special-Limited Enchillada, with all six Middle-Earth Complete Recordings, the two Doug Adams books about LotR and The Hobbit, all six OSTs, and a hair from Conrad Pope enclosed in a crystal.

The redesigned LotR CR will have the credit "Approved by Conrad Pope".

It'll have to be three hairs.

Doug would have to hire a bodyguard or two if this happens.

Doug has said nothing at all regarding Hobbit Complete Recordings because he knows this isn't even up for discussion yet, and won't be for a long time.

Are the LOTR CR's profitable? They don't get printed very often, and the profitability of those sets will likely have a big impact on whether or not Hobbit CR's ever get made.

In theory, yes, but assuming everything plays out as it did with the LotR scores, the OSTs will end up being the best source for alternates.

Anyway, in the case of AUJ I couldn't be happier with the deluxe album. It's just a great listen, regardless of what else gets released in the future. Of course, if/when we get more music the completist in me will be very happy, but at the moment I'm really enjoying the album as it is and I would welcome the same approach for the DOS album.

As mentioned earlier (by Incanus, I think), the OSTs for these films are generally locked before the sessions are over, meaning that final versions can't always make the OST anyway.

Doug has said nothing at all regarding Hobbit Complete Recordings because he knows this isn't even up for discussion yet, and won't be for a long time.

Thanks for once again being the voice of reason Doug.

There's really no reason to plan out releasing the CRs and the next book until after the TABA:EE movie is out in late 2015. If things follow the LOTR schedule, we'll have AUJ:CR in 2016, DOS:CR in 2017, and TABA:CR with the next book in 2018.

But then again, we're not sure if they'll be going with the CRs again. I assume putting such sets together is a LOT of work, and with AUJ at least, there really isn't as much music missing as there was in FotR or the other LotR films (not to mention it must be tough to sort out all the butchered/microedited/tracked music). We were given a 2 disc special edition (which was great) which contained most of the original material anyway, so I don't know if they'd find compiling CR sets to be worth the effort.

And SUH, Doug hasn't confirmed if he planned on releasing a similar book for the Hobbit yet (very reasonable considering he has a lot more on his plate right now). And if he is, he doesn't need CRs to refer to.

There's one more thing we need to consider: LOTR soundtracks and CR were released by Reprise. The Hobbit rights reside with a different label (Watertower, is it?). Not to mention films are released by a different studio.

Karol

Perhaps it would be better to let such things roll at their own speed for the moment and not jump ahead too much.

I am reminded of a quote from LotR, a conversation between Gandalf and Pippin, where the wizard explains something and only gets another question as a reward:

"But I should like to know---" Pippin began.

"Mercy! cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is so to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?"

"The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas," laughed Pippin. "Of course, what else?"

It is very much the situation here, where the inquisitive fans are something of a nuisance in that regard that the more the composer and others give, the more we tend to want. :)

with AUJ at least, there really isn't as much music missing as there was in FotR or the other LotR films

Not much music missing? There was 55 minutes of music in the AUJ film that wasn't on the CD!

with AUJ at least, there really isn't as much music missing as there was in FotR or the other LotR films

Not much music missing? There was 55 minutes of music in the AUJ film that wasn't on the CD!

We wants it Precious! We wantsssss it!

Are the LOTR CR's profitable? They don't get printed very often, and the profitability of those sets will likely have a big impact on whether or not Hobbit CR's ever get made.

I remember some time around the release of FOTR CR there was grumbling about the price, and Doug said Howard Shore invested a good amount of his own money into the production of these things. That doesn't mean they're not profitable, even though I strongly assume the goal when producing such elaborate products for a niche industry is to break even.

Even if the LOTR CRs weren't profitable at first, the fact they they continue to sell years and go back into production everytime stock gets low surely indicates they've definitely turned a profit.

While they are pricey I do feel they justify the €50 or so they each cost. 3 CDS + a 5.1 DVD (or 4 in the case of ROTK) plus the great liner notes and the fancy packaging. A lot of care and attention went into them and it shows.