Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

They probably meant "bonus tracks".

Also, I doubt the interactive score sketch is some stupid program, considering it is signed by him.

But who knows? Maybe we'll get a Hans Zimmer style app where you can make your own LotR music sketch! :P

Well, the sketch is signed by Howard, so it must be a physical object, like a piece of sheet music you can fold out. Perhaps just the themes from AUJ and DOS?

They probably meant "bonus tracks".

Also, I doubt the interactive score sketch is some stupid program, considering it is signed by him.

But who knows? Maybe we'll get a Hans Zimmer style app where you can make your own LotR music sketch! :P

Please don't mention Hans Zimmer and LotR together :blush:

I assume the signed thingy will be similar to the "signed sheet music" from the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 score where it was just a facsimile of a signed piece of sheet music.

If it has time markings, you can use the sheet music while listening to the music. Is that interactive enough? :P

For potential European customers of the WaterTower edition via Amazon.com:

Standard shipping rates for Europe are to be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596194

Delivery times are to be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201118410

EDIT: members from another region can find the shiping rates here and the shipping times here.

Is this in case we get another cardboard version in Europe?

Yes. The regular version is already appearing in various European webshops, but I haven't seen the special edition appear anywhere yet.

Thank you, Doug. That was an insightful and level-headed post!

And though it's getting silly, I will reiterate, Shore is entirely healthy. Saw him last month, and he looked better rested than I do on the Hobbit appendices ...

I know that these threads last longer and are more entertaining when we all resort to exaggeration, in-character posts, and negativity that requires responses, but please try to remember that this is how ugly rumors get started. And rumors are strong currency in the fan community. Making a joke of a person's health is never cool; there's no way to sugar-coat that.

I don't stop by here that often -- though I stop by often enough to see who's making fun of me ... gotta keep the "naughty list" up-to-date! ;) But, if you have questions -- the type that I can actually answer -- feel free to flag me on Twitter (@DougAdamsMusic) or on the blog (www.MusicofLOTR.com)

I don't want to dissuade conversation here, but maybe all these "curious," "suspicious," "doom," posts could give way to actual material discussion if you'd just ask! I'm not scary. Just look at me in the appendices doc ... I'm really just a scrawny musician-type with access to interesting people.

I tend to simply not take seriously anything that originates at JWFan, but I think you're right in suggesting we might be a little more cautious. After all, this forum is still visible to the outside world and not everyone understands our silly in-characater charades. So well said. :)

P.S. Your book rocks.

Is this in case we get another cardboard version in Europe?

Yes.

Oh dear. Now do I import a nicer US release or do I bow to my OCD needs and keep my collection of Hobbit SE releases all in the same packaging? Hmmmmm...

Oh dear. Now do I import a nicer US release or do I bow to my OCD needs and keep my collection of Hobbit SE releases all in the same packaging? Hmmmmm...

I'm buying the US release. I don't really care whether it's the same edition or not - it'd be nice if both were the same, but I don't think it's worth it buying the inferior EU release when you can buy a superior edition for only a few euros more.

I'm in exactly the same position! As annoying as the cardboard is, I want DOS to match it. Maybe I endure cardboard SEs and then wait for the luxorious Complete Recordings (please happen).

I don't care about AUJ matching DOS in CD case design, I want to get the damn CDs out of the folder without either breaking my nails or the packaging.

I'm in exactly the same position! As annoying as the cardboard is, I want DOS to match it. Maybe I endure cardboard SEs and then wait for the luxorious Complete Recordings (please happen).

I don't care about AUJ matching DOS in CD case design, I want to get the damn CDs out of the folder without either breaking my nails or the packaging.

I recommend removing them from the cardboard sleeve altogether then. I evacuated the CDs to the safety of a regular 2 CD jewel case as soon as I bought the SE last year.

That's of course possible.

But the point is that you are paying for a product which you ideally should be able to use.

Naturally but I doubt that the US version of the SE will be any more practical. As far as I can remember from the pictures Jason posted last year the CD sleeve pocket on the US version is just angled up instead of curiously inward as in the European Decca version. Neither is a good solution for storing CDs. Even the CR rubber knob was a better idea. ;)

Honestly my CDs left the sleeves once to go into my computer to rip, and I've listened to it electronically ever since. But still, the US packaging for the SE was loads better than the European, for some reason (I guess Decca is cheaper than WaterTower, who doesn't seem to have an international presence?)

Honestly my CDs left the sleeves once to go into my computer to rip, and I've listened to it electronically ever since. But still, the US packaging for the SE was loads better than the European, for some reason (I guess Decca is cheaper than WaterTower, who doesn't seem to have an international presence?)

I really wonder why did they choose to change the design at Decca for European release in the first place.

The sleeves pointing upwards in a lot more practical, especially the attached booklet in the middle. With the Decca version, when you want to grab a disc, and tilt the case sideways in order to let the disc slide out, the whole booklet is falliing out of its sleeve. So you have to either hold it or keep the case horizontal, and hyperextend the sleeves.

It's .... exhausting.

The sleeves pointing upwards in a lot more practical, especially the attached booklet in the middle. With the Decca version, when you want to grab a disc, and tilt the case sideways in order to let the disc slide out, the whole booklet is falliing out of its sleeve. So you have to either hold it or keep the case horizontal, and hyperextend the sleeves.

It's .... exhausting.

I know. I own the same damn version as you do. Hence the CD evacuation. ;)

Decca design team has some rethinking to do perhaps?

It's .... exhausting.

Which is how my copy of AUJ got to have a tear in its front cover... ):<

Why don't you guys just sell your copy and use the money to buy the WaterTower version? Do it or stop moaning about it!

We will! So you can stop moaning about us moaning about it!

The special edition is up for pre-order here!

Of course it's finally up now that I have to pay extra sales tax. Oi.

Hmmm, the Standard Edition can't be pre-ordered yet. I'll wait to order both in the same order.

Well, there's certainly no guarantee that just because the AUJ Standard OST had over 2 minutes of music not on the Special Edition OST, that the DOS OSTs will follow suit....

Well, there's certainly no guarantee that just because the AUJ Standard OST had over 2 minutes of music not on the Special Edition OST, that the DOS OSTs will follow suit....

You're probably right. I'm not going to double dip anyway. I'm not interested in less music, or just 2 minutes of extra music, which can be heard elsewhere.

When there are 12 extended score cues - which in itself is far more than in AUJ - I don't think the "regular" cues are artificially edited down versions. Not all of them anyway. I think, like in AUJ, there will be some alternates, and some instances of theatrical vs. extended cut, with the special edition presenting the extended version (like The White Council).

I'm most curious about the digital sketches, though. It sounds like an intriguing idea. What exactly is it though, precious? Just an image of a page of sheet music would be kind of lame. I hope for something interactive, or maybe some kind of MIDI player, where you can play back a cue and watch it at the same time, like a Sibelius or Finale file.

OK, I'm here. What's going on? Is this music going to be any good?

Hey is it you Christian?!! Welcome! And no we have not heard any music yet but Doug Adams says it is going to be awesome! Even though he might be a bit biased I believe him. :)

Kuhni! The lurker finally comes out of the shadows! Glad to see you've come to the light.

It's a shame that you missed 30 pages of high drama and crazy paranoia...or maybe you didn't.

Aside from the false rumours, things seem to be looking quite good for the music.

KK I tried to stop them! I tried to stem the flood of paranoia with positive thinking but alas I failed! It had grown more powerful than I expected and was beyond me. It took Doug Adams to stop it.