Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Dark are the days ahead of us Incanus. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of moderators fail, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of bloody boals and conspiracy theories, when the age of JWFan comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Middle-Earth, I bid you *stand, followers of Shore!*

Dark are the days ahead of us Incanus. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of moderators fail, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of bloody boals and conspiracy theories, when the age of JWFan comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Middle-Earth, I bid you *stand, followers of Shore!*

YES! FOR HOWARD!!!!

FOR HOWARD!!!

What's positive thinking? (I'm German...we lost two wars and one world cup, so...)

Yo KK - I guess I broke down. You young whippershnappers need some not-so-adult supervision...

I won't be heavily involved in the discussion, as I've been out of the loop for too long and, as I have said before, it became so in-depth at some point that it actually took away from my enjoyment of the music. And in case of TDoS, I wanna go in as "blank" as possible.

Understood. Sometimes I wish I could approach the new scores that way. Just because all of our theoretical knowledge of the constructs of Shore's work tends to set certain expectations for how things will play out, to the point that we demand it be so. Then when massive screw-ups like the tracking and bizarre thematic statements in AUJ pop up (in film of course), it's all the more devastating.

But ultimately, knowing the theory behind it makes me appreciate it all the more.

Bad news for those who wanted to buy the vinyl release!

Bootnote: A quick update on the vinyl release story that we posted a week or so ago. A well-placed anonymous source tells us that Water Tower currently has no plans to release the DOS score on vinyl. Our source also adds that:

1) While it would be cool, it would be very expensive given the number of hours of music.

2) Since vinyl has a lot of lead time, WT would have had to start production months ago, but the Desolation of Smaug score has only just been been finished.

That doesn’t entirely explain why there was (and still is) an Amazon page… but unfortunately and disappointingly, it may simply be a rumour and nothing more. If we discover anything more, we’ll let readers know.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/01/81403-artwork-for-the-standard-and-special-edition-of-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

The score for Twilight: Eclipse by Howard Shore was also released on vinyl...

As I did not have any intention of getting an LP of this score anyway this is nothing earth shattering to me. But it is a shame for those fans who wanted one. Given the length of the OST (2 CDs) it might have taken at least 3 vinyls to cover that much music anyway.

Bootnote: A quick update on the vinyl release story that we posted a week or so ago. A well-placed anonymous source tells us that Water Tower currently has no plans to release the DOS score on vinyl. Our source also adds that:1) While it would be cool, it would be very expensive given the number of hours of music.2) Since vinyl has a lot of lead time, WT would have had to start production months ago, but the Desolation of Smaug score has only just been been finished.That doesn’t entirely explain why there was (and still is) an Amazon page… but unfortunately and disappointingly, it may simply be a rumour and nothing more. If we discover anything more, we’ll let readers know.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/01/81403-artwork-for-the-standard-and-special-edition-of-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

Hours of music? I like the sound of that!

Wow, Christian has joined us! Don't skimp on the emotional, political incorrectness is always welcome here ^.^

It's the opposite on Amazon.co.uk.

Karol

That was the vinyl edition when I pre-ordered it but it has curiously changed and dropped all references to Vinyl.

EDIT: Just read this page and that explains that then. They changed the Amazon vinyl page to the regular CD edition. I'll probably cancel that and re-order when the special edition goes up on Amazon UK.

Typical "I don't give a shit because this doesn't affect me" Incanus bullshit!

I want the people to know that even if it doesn't affect me I am sorry for those who were excited for the prospect. Bummer I say. Nice to see you war mongering and belligerent as always BB. Keeps that nice rosy pink hue on the cheeks doesn't it.

Well, look at the posts above yours.

I did, see my edit :P

I did, see my edit.

Then I guess everything's wrapped up in a neat little package!

Yo, Mikko - I finally followed the whispers of a nameless, uh, forum. Can't leave all the hard work to GK, now can I? I also believe this music is going to be awesome, but like Doug, I'm heavily biased. I also believe everything he is saying/allowed to say, but I heartily dislike that NDA nonsense (not a fan of corporate mentality).

I'll add an opinion or two where I feel it's substantiated enough. Otherwise, you'll get emotional reactions that may not be going to be politically correct. :lol:

The NDA thing isn't really all that nonsensical or nefarious. In a nutshell, it just states that I can't go out blabbing about the plot. It's kind of just the ultimate spoiler warning ... "give away the story and you owe us a billion dollars."

Yes, NDAs are corporate things, but they're derived from showbiz instincts. There's a reason stages have curtains.

NDAs don't cover people's personal lives, or details regarding production workflows. Sometimes I just don't answer questions or give details because it's not my place to do so. I'm enough of a bigmouth as it is ...

Doug while you're here, any idea why Shore wasn't asked to write new music for the new EE scenes that hadn't previously been scored (such as the Young Bilbo/Fireworks, Marketplace, or Thranduil jeweled necklace scenes), as had been done for all three prior EE films?

Doug while you're here, any idea why Shore wasn't asked to write new music for the new EE scenes that hadn't previously been scored (such as the Young Bilbo/Fireworks, Marketplace, or Thranduil jeweled necklace scenes), as had been done for all three prior EE films?

My theory (and maybe Doug will confirm it) is that there was never any plan to do so. The EE is 13 minutes extra. Some of this score is found on the SE of the soundtrack so I assume that music was intended for those extra scenes. The Goblin song takes up some of that extra time and so does that Man in the Moon. I would also guess that Flaming Red Hair was intended for the party scene and we know the Valley of Imladris was extended. When you take all of that there doesn't seem to have been need for Shore to score what was left.

Maybe Doug will prove me wrong but that's just my guess.

While I don't know for a fact that he wasn't asked, I'm guessing the thought of a seven-figure price tag (fees, studio, musicians, etc.) for less than a minute of music didn't look too good to the accountants.

Young Bilbo was always going to be source, btw.

And the three LOTR films have plenty of tracking as well. People tend to forget that.

My theory (and maybe Doug will confirm it) is that there was never any plan to do so. The EE is 13 minutes extra. Some of this score is found on the SE of the soundtrack so I assume that music was intended for those extra scenes. The Goblin song takes up some of that extra time and so does that Man in the Moon. I would also guess that Flaming Red Hair was intended for the party scene and we know the Valley of Imladris was extended. When you take all of that there doesn't seem to have been need for Shore to score what was left.

This is all essentially correct!

While I don't know for a fact that he wasn't asked, I'm guessing the thought of a seven-figure price tag (fees, studio, musicians, etc.) for less than a minute of music didn't look too good to the accountants.

Young Bilbo was always going to be source, btw.

And the three LOTR films have plenty of tracking as well. People tend to forget that.

This is all essentially correct!

Thought so :lol:

I'd have loved more music from Shore but I can understand why they didn't do it this time.

Seven figures is surprising but I guess it makes sense when you factor in all the various elements.

Thanks again Doug.

Bootnote: A quick update on the vinyl release story that we posted a week or so ago. A well-placed anonymous source tells us that Water Tower currently has no plans to release the DOS score on vinyl. Our source also adds that:

1) While it would be cool, it would be very expensive given the number of hours of music.

2) Since vinyl has a lot of lead time, WT would have had to start production months ago, but the Desolation of Smaug score has only just been been finished.

That doesn’t entirely explain why there was (and still is) an Amazon page… but unfortunately and disappointingly, it may simply be a rumour and nothing more. If we discover anything more, we’ll let readers know.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!

I bought five copies of his book, does that count? :mrgreen:

You have 5 copies on your shelf eh? 4 for show and 1 to read?

1 right next to the computer, to correct the uninformed.

That's where I keep my copy.

Implying a lack of encyclopedic knowledge of it. How quaint!

In this day and age such encyclopedic knowledge is replaced by google anyway. Why remember anything when you have google? Go google!

What's positive thinking? (I'm German...we lost two wars and one world cup, so...)

Yo KK - I guess I broke down. You young whippershnappers need some not-so-adult supervision...

I won't be heavily involved in the discussion, as I've been out of the loop for too long and, as I have said before, it became so in-depth at some point that it actually took away from my enjoyment of the music. And in case of TDoS, I wanna go in as "blank" as possible.

Welcome! You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Karol

Why make do with one copy when you can have boxes of them? One for every room of the house! :biglaugh:

books.jpg

Crikey!

Implying a lack of encyclopedic knowledge of it. How quaint!

No, only implying the lack of memory of the page numbers

Welcome! You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Karol

Oh he'll fit right in Karol!

Obviously the music for the extended Rivendell scenes were recorded in Oct 2012; I was talking about the extra prologue scenes, which were never scored by Shore. Would been cool if he scored them, they even could have been recorded at the start of the DOS sessions to save money.