Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Guys, I already answered the spider question and gave the exact timestamp in AUJ where you can hear it!

I haven't looked at the time-stamps you posted but I assume it's the music in the film when we see the spiders?

Great song. A vast improvement over the over-produced songs of the last 4 films.

Is this your kind of sarcasm?

No. So let me repeat myself: Great song. A vast improvement over the over-produced songs of the last 4 films.

I really enjoy how subtle and mellow it is. I can imagine hearing bits and pieces, echoes even, of the guitar in pubs and inns and even towns in the evening around Middle Earth.

It's not perfect. A little tweaking towards a more Irish/medieval soundscape, and this would be near perfect.

Gkgyver, why are you confused? Why is anyone confused about the spider theme? Was I not clear? Did you not watch BloodBoal' s video where it syncs to the two shots of the spiders outside his house?

Great song. A vast improvement over the over-produced songs of the last 4 films.

Is this your kind of sarcasm?

No. So let me repeat myself: Great song. A vast improvement over the over-produced songs of the last 4 films.

Over-produced? How so? Too much melody? Too much orchestra? Too memorable? Too much effort made?

How someone can rank this Sheeran garbage over any LotR song ... It may be "catchy", but so is my alarm clock.

No matter what you say about some things just being right, these things are always subjective.

Calling it garbage seems like you're just over exaggerating to try and counter the positivity.

I'm not countering positivity, I'm making my negativity known.

Having a random guy, based on his popularity with Jackson's daughter no less, produce a random song in one day is just careless, and it shows. If making an effort, considering musical choices, craftsmanship and showing a great deal of musicality counts as being "overproduced", then please let every song be that way.

To me it seems like on this whole project, the only person still putting the LotR-level of care into music is indeed the composer. So far, the whole thing was nothing but a musical mess.

I get if you don't like the song but have no right, no right to accuse him of not putting in effort or not caring. Saying he is a random guy is completely unjustified as you could say that for any of the previous singers, except he is more known.

I don't accuse him, I accuse the director and producers of letting a guy walk into the studio, record more or less the first version of a song, walk out the day after, and calling it the title song, based on how popular he is with someone's daughter. If you look at the care and details going into other areas of this production, this is extremely careless.

And since his name was thrown into the round by Katie Jackson, Sheeran is a random guy because nobody apparently thought about what they wanted for a title song and in how far it should relate to the film, and chose the artist accordingly.

Annie Lennox wasn't random because Shore and the writers had an idea of what kind of voice they wanted, and made a list of people who could fit the bill, just like Torrini wasn't random for Gollum's song. And both recorded several versions, or in Lennox' case two different songs altogether. It's called refinement.

Popularity has nothing to do with the artistic result you imagine in your mind.

Recording the initial reaction to the film is a cute idea, but it doesn't replace musical ingenuity. At most, it would support it if there was any.

I have no earthly idea what people mean when they say "Spider theme".

You will ... :)

Oooh another possible new theme! I hope it has some kind of hint at the Shelob music!

Oooh another possible new theme! I hope it has some kind of hint at the Shelob music!

It's not new! It was in AUJ!

It might be the section of music you mean from AUJ or it might be not. We can't know for certain until we hear the new score.

It might be the section of music you mean from AUJ or it might be not. We can't know for certain until we hear the new score.

Indeed. Well said.

I honestly don't believe the song will make much of a difference on the album sales. If people who want Sheeran's song see the film and like the score, then they'll buy the album. If they don't see the film/see it but don't like the score, they'll just focus on getting just Sheeran's song, one way or another. End of story.

Precisely.

No matter what you say about some things just being right, these things are always subjective.

Calling it garbage seems like you're just over exaggerating to try and counter the positivity.

Having a random guy, based on his popularity with Jackson's daughter no less, produce a random song in one day is just careless, and it shows. If making an effort, considering musical choices, craftsmanship and showing a great deal of musicality counts as being "overproduced", then please let every song be that way.

To me it seems like on this whole project, the only person still putting the LotR-level of care into music is indeed the composer. So far, the whole thing was nothing but a musical mess.

I don't care for the circumstances of the song, nor do I take its backstory into account for my judgement of the final work, which is lovely. The fact that a day was spent on it has no relevance to its quality.

But, you have a right to be as bitter as you like. It's your forté 'round these parts!

I don't care for the circumstances of the song, nor do I take its backstory into account for my judgement of the final work, which is lovely. The fact that a day was spent on it has no relevance to its quality.

+1