Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I have to admit, I liked that scene. Wish there was a clearer version so I could the music better, though from what I could hear, sounded like good menacing stuff. They might just pull off the whole Sauron business in this film (unlike AUJ).

The people at TORN seem quite critical of the films often to me, seeing as they love the books so much.

You haven't read it, right? Do you plan to? It's baffling if you don't intend to considering your enthusiasm for the films.

The people at TORN seem quite critical of the films often to me, seeing as they love the books so much.

Certainly.

They are however not exactly experts at judging film music if my visits there are any indication.

Yeah... like most places on the internet that aren't JWFan, the discussion of music is painfully elementary.

Yay

Have this been posted before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicwV1Bmcqk

Is that Shore's music at the Beorn stuff?

Yes, in the thread for the films themselves:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11433&p=952419

It's the trailer music.

No, it's some other music. I mean the stuff that starts playing at the Beorn stuff, not the opening. It sounds strange and not like Shore but I had to ask!

Stuff, stuff ;)

Edit: Ah I see.

I have to admit, I liked that scene.

I agree. However, it points out again why I think Tauriel is useless in this story. Would have worked just as well with Legolas and Thranduil alone.

60 pages of discussion before the first real samples have even been released. Pretty impressive.

For comparison, when the first samples for AUJ showed up on qobuz.com last year on November 7th, we were only on page 14 of the AUJ score thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22197&p=856234

Also of note is that Amazon.com put up samples for AUJ on November 9th last year

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22197&p=857650

Where are our DOS samples this year?

What? Where? Who? Why? Have samples come available somewhere? What have I missed? Where am I? What day is it?

EDIT: Oh darn I misread your post Jason.

Wheh!

You haven't read it, right? Do you plan to? It's baffling if you don't intend to considering your enthusiasm for the films.

Certainly.

They are however not exactly experts at judging film music if my visits there are any indication.

Yeah... like most places on the internet that aren't JWFan, the discussion of music is painfully elementary.

Yay

I sense you have some issue with what I said, but between an endorsement for a book and sarcastic derision, I can't imagine what it is.

So, where is everybody ordering their special edition from? Is it limited, by the way, or could I wait some months before picking it up? (Or will it not drop in price?)

So, where is everybody ordering their special edition from? Is it limited, by the way, or could I wait some months before picking it up? (Or will it not drop in price?)

I ordered from Amazon UK. And I don't think it is limited. The AUJ SE is still around and probably at a reduced price compared to what it was sold for last December.

Well, right now, AUJ ist 2 bucks more expensive than DoS ...

Well blimey GK, looks like I was wrong after all about the price, which is considerably more expensive at Amazon UK (nearly 10£!!!). But it is still in stock though, which means that it is not that limited. Especially compared to the The Two Towers Complete Recordings. ;)

I wanted the samples :(

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the samples that are given us once they arrive. There are other forces at work in this world Bilbo Skywalker, besides the will of evil. Water Tower Music was meant to release the music. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

I wonder when you will stop with the wizard shop talk and start to do some real magic!

Pick a card! Any card!

I ordered it from Amazon US

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFT1BJ0

The AUJ SE version is still in stock everywhere, I imagine DOS's will stick around for a good while as well. But nobody really knows.

I wonder when you will stop with the wizard shop talk and start to do some real magic!

Pick a card! Any card!

I did. So what now?

Ta-daa! It was the queen of diamonds, wasn't it? Wasn't that marvellous!?

Plus I will never reveal the secrets of the trade to outsiders.That my boy is between the wizard and his hat!

And there are greater forces in this world than wizards, sadly and even we cannot change the weather of this world or bring the release date of the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack closer any faster that it is. Sorry.

Certainly.

Yay

I sense you have some issue with what I said, but between an endorsement for a book and sarcastic derision, I can't imagine what it is.

I did have something sarcastic to say, but I do agree with you...just decided not to say it

I wanted the samples :(

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the samples that are given us once they arrive. There are other forces at work in this world Bilbo Skywalker, besides the will of evil. Water Tower Music was meant to release the music. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

IT'S OURS! AND WE WANTS IT!!!!

Where do we think these precious samples will appear first? Qobuz, Amazon, ITunes, or some other magical source? Would be interesting if Empire streamed the whole thing before we got any, though at this stage I can't see that happening again this year.

Based on past experiences, it usually appears at some less prominent German site which a fan happens to stumble upon and share.

You're talking about this site:

http://www.cinemamusica.de/

They've premiered a lot of Sony Classical-released scores there, but last year AUJ showed up on qobuz and Amazon before anywhere else, plus of course RollingStone.com premiered the entire end credits song and Empire streamed the entire standard-edition OST.

All of that had happened by November 12th, too! Bah!

There'll obviously be samples available. But I don't think we'll get the entire score in advance, not like last time.