Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I'm sure the ideas going into Kong influenced other works of his. I can't imagine that a composer is able to just put all of that hard work aside.

Imagine, maybe what we call Smaug's theme was originally a theme for the T-Rex fight ;)

I don't know how the copyright situation is on Kong, but I assume it won't be easy getting the rights, and not very cheap either.

Really? Doug was involved with the King Kong score?

Yep, I was on my way out the door to visit the sessions NZ when the phone call came in telling me to unpack my bags.

Later the following winter, Shore had me over to hear his full Kong score, but only so we could talk about it on a personal level. He asked me to please leave specific details out of the public discussion, and so I honor that request.

I will tell you that it was astonishingly beautiful, and that it had a great deal of heart ... I hope that everyone has a chance to hear it one day.

So does that mean then that not every thing he wrote got recorded?

Correct. Some of what we listened to was mock-ups.

Doug, since you are here, could you shed some light on the alternate versions of tracks between the OST and SE of AUJ? or are you still contractually obligated to keep silent?

Doug, since you are here, could you shed some light on the alternate versions of tracks between the OST and SE of AUJ? or are you still contractually obligated to keep silent?

Ask away, but I probably have very little to add at this point. The differences are there because there was a lot of material generated and this seemed like a good way to present a bit more of it. There's really nothing linking the decisions, I'm afraid.

#1 was the standard version of Roast Mutton written first, or was the deluxe edition version written first?

#2 did the standard version of Old Friends (with the Shire theme on the Whistle) score the same section of film the deluxe version did?

#3: in the documentary on the AUJ score that was posted by WaterTower music, there is an unused cue being rehearsed by Shore, its also in the EE appendices, what was it for?

and #4, there was a bit of extra percussion from the Warg-Scouts in the EE documentary The Epic of Scene 88, was it an original version of the ending pre-decision to add the Lothlorien theme, or a unused portion, or is it just the drum track that plays underneath the Orchestra, that were isolated from the rest for the documentary*?

*If any timestamps are needed I can provide them.

Thanks!

and to bring this discussion back on topic a little more:

Hopefully Sting gets a theme ;)

Hey and Sting could provide vocal wailing for every moment when Bilbo uses his "letter opener". ;)

Karol

Is it just me, or do those low bass tones in Inside Information sound electronic? There's also something at the very end of A Liar and a Thief that sounds not-acoustic.

I think you're pointing out the various Asian instruments being used to create Smaug's sound.

Is it just me, or do those low bass tones in Inside Information sound electronic? There's also something at the very end of A Liar and a Thief that sounds not-acoustic.

I think you're pointing out the various Asian instruments being used to create Smaug's sound.

Maybe, maybe... I don't mean the clanging Tibetan gongs, but the two low drones in the first case. There's something about them that sounds curious. Same with a tone at the very end of the second sample that sounds almost like an ondes martenot. Probably just imagining things.

If you go on www.thehobbit.com you'll hear Feast of Starlight playing in the background. It doesn't seem like the full track but it's more than the preview.

Cool!

Maybe, maybe... I don't mean the clanging Tibetan gongs, but the two low drones in the first case. There's something about them that sounds curious. Same with a tone at the very end of the second sample that sounds almost like an ondes martenot. Probably just imagining things.

I have a suspicion that it might be a superball mallet dragged on a bass drum. That can create a very low, drony, almost electronic sound. I remember Peter Maxwell Davies using that effect in The Devils.

The Ondes sound - that could be a bowed saw or rubbed singing bowls.

Very very cool!

A part of it remind me of the Beyond the Forest theme. Could be a stretch though.

I don't think you misheard. I heard it too.

100% Shore in Middle-Earth mode. Every time Shore does something for cor anglais, for some reason it goes straight into my heart.

I have a suspicion that it might be a superball mallet dragged on a bass drum. That can create a very low, drony, almost electronic sound. I remember Peter Maxwell Davies using that effect in The Devils.

The Ondes sound - that could be a bowed saw or rubbed singing bowls.

Could be. Probably more likely than Shore suddenly adding electronic elements.

3sf3vn.jpg

6646af994542e13adef189390453287f55744c23

Strange, all the other locations have music from LOTR (Gandalf's Farewells, Balins Tomb etc.) you would expect Dol Guldur to have Shore music as well.

Such a beautiful theme is "Feast of Starlight" and yes, Howard Shore is the best composer making great solos for english horn, also I love the sounds of cello+bassoons, another of his special trademarks.

Ok I had no idea what this was going to be and it freaked me out.

Is there some objective? I just keep getting effed up by the Necromancer.

That Rivendell one is beautiful, with that music. Very neat.

Anyone in the US tried this yet?

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/free-song-hobbit?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+drafthouseblog+%28Drafthouse+Blog%29

I suppose we should hear 'The Woodland Realm' soon at least.

Don't know if this is also offering a download of 'The Woodland Realm' or something different:

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-tickets-and-regal-super-tickets-now-on-sale-743973.html

"Quite cool" won't do justice to that moment Faleel!

It's only 'Cool!' if we actually hear something.

What superlative will we be using in the event of some site streaming the full soundtrack?

The very coolestest?

Where is the good old squeeeefart!!111!!!! from these discussions I ask. Nobody uses that anymore.

But perhaps that is for the better... of mankind.