Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

There appears to be some waterphone under the sprechstimme vocal swells - 4:15 may be the most obvious, but I think it's omnipresent until the end of the piece from this point. The density of the piece makes it difficult to isolate!

I love that whole sequence. Shore on acid.

I have been repeating the vocal segment from Feast of Starlight for about 20 minutes now. Could this be the most gorgeous theme from all six scores? I think so.

Not really. There are more beautiful melodies in the original trilogy. But I think this is likely the most beautiful new theme in the Hobbit trilogy, especially the A-phrase that opens "Beyond the Forest". I wish we had more of that!

What theme from Twilight and Shadow? I haven't listened to the OSTs in years.

The Evenstar theme. Simply sublime.

But to be honest, Beyond The Forest, and especially when the Tauriel/Kili theme comes in on full chorus, was pretty much the first piece that recreated the feeling of hearing some LotR highlights for the first time. It convinced me that Shore still has it.

Indeed. It was the same for me. I just wish there was more of the opening A phrase. It doesn't enough time in the spotlight. :(

The Evenstar theme.

I like the tone of Twilight and Shadow better. And Fleming's voice.

Even though the a capella singing of Isabel Bayrakdarian over Elrond's foretelling of Arwen's fate is for me the most poetic moment in all five films thus far. And about the only tracking choice PJ did not screw up.

Shore never lost it IMO.

He didn't. But when I first heard Beyond the Forest (in the 1 minute samples I think), it took my breath away like the highlights of LotR did.

Indeed. It was the same for me. I just wish there was more of the opening A phrase. It doesn't enough time in the spotlight. :(

What's more, I think Shore's music made the conversation between Tauriel and Kili in the dungeon work. Especially Tauriel's monologue about starlight.

The Evenstar theme.

Even though the a capella singing of Isabel Bayrakdarian over Elrond's foretelling of Arwen's fate is for me the most poetic moment in all five films thus far. And about the only tracking choice PJ did not screw up.

That scene is haunting in a way I can't really articulate.

What's more, I think Shore's music made the conversation between Tauriel and Kili in the dungeon work. Especially Tauriel's monologue about starlight.

+1

The Evenstar theme.

I prefer the more defined structure in Two Towers, but I also prefer Fleming's voice. The two combined would be awesome. Also, the flute renditions of the theme are beautiful and were sorely missed in RotK.

But to be honest, I never really compared the two renditions. I've always looked it as the whole, and loved the way the theme developed across the two films.

The Evenstar theme.

It's spelled "movie magic". Remember the days when there still was some?

Or the short shot at the beginning of RotK, when Arwen rides back to the gorgeous Rivendell in autumn, with the Evenstar-related theme playing with every string player available. It may be a stretch, but IMO the whole Arwen stuff in all subsequent films to FotR is at least 50% more believable because of Shore's scoring. Why else would I tolerate mumbo jumbo about Elrond the Fortune Teller and Arwen's breath of life fading?

Yes! This was what I was trying to clarify with BloodBoal. When Shore's beautiful choral music started playing, the lines worked and almost elevated the scene to the heights of LotR's most poignant scenes.

But even the music couldn't save the cringeworthy healing scene.

Whats funny, is that there is a similar really short melody, that appears in almost every Arwen appearance, it sounds similar to the bit that plays underneath the lines "Use Well The Days" in well.... "Use Well The Days"

The Evenstar theme.

It's spelled "movie magic". Remember the days when there still was some?

I dunno, I think for me the frequency with which films affect me in some ineffable way hasn't changed all that much. It's the relative elusiveness of it that makes it so special to me.

Yeah. But the D Major/Bb Major progression of the A phrase (not the descending Lion King-esque soprano line) has a very attractive quality to it. Needs more screentime I tell ya!!

It was Georg who said that ;) But Fleming was my favourite vocal soloist.

Well, it's such an uncomplicated melodic line to begin with, even when I heard for the first time in the movie, I wanted it to be a bit "more", whether by harmonically suggesting the doomed status of this affair or just by continuing and varying it. It's a lovely piece, mind; the addition of Arwen Revealed doesn't hurt at all, even though it's done a teensy bit abruptly.

I agree that the B-phrase goes for simplicity (which certainly works) but I think the A-phrase is a beautifully crafted melodic line that puts it on par with LotR themes.

Ironically, I like Fleming's voice the least out of all the solo vocals for LotR...

I've just fired a missile on your position.

I have been repeating the vocal segment from Feast of Starlight for about 20 minutes now. Could this be the most gorgeous theme from all six scores? I think so.

Are you suffering from Alzheimer or what? Let me introduce you to the Gondor theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C4sFuTWgOQ

Well, it plays right before the Leggy ballet moment on the barrels, so naturally it scores the moments before that. HOWEVER, I believe the sequence was expanded a bit, so it would probably score something else.

In that Tall Tale Radio show (http://www.talltaleradio.com/episode-193-doug-adams/) Doug confirms that Shore wrote some choral renditions of the Company (Misty Mountains) theme for AUJ that never materialized (around the 23-24 minutes mark). I'd love to hear these again for TABA, especially when the wall comes down and they emerge for battle.