Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I go away for few days and everybody is getting delusions of delusions here! So what did I miss?

Just wondering - when did they usually do additional recording sessions for the LOTR EE's? If they're required for the Desolation of Smaug EE (and surely new music will be needed), I guess we should expect to hear something in the next couple of months. I've no idea how long they'd need. A week?

How many days of recording they would need is directly related to how many minutes of music there will be to record. I'd guess they will record it in one or two sessions. No idea when. Or if it was already recorded during the main sessions - who knows!

I think it used to be March or April that the EE sessions were done.

Doug did mention on his twitter something about the Hobbit and march.... though it could just be referring to something unrelated or the DVD release date.

Doug did mention on his twitter something about the Hobbit and march.... though it could just be referring to something unrelated or the DVD release date.

There's a point he did mention that. Did he do anything Hobbit-related last March?

It's in the latest post on his blog:

At this point, I think I'm due back in Middle-earth sometime in March, so I should be able to post here a bit more regularly ...

How much do we read into the 'in Middle-earth (i.e., New Zealand)' line? And the NZSO's schedule seems to be free for a couple of weeks in March (nothing from the 14th-27th):

http://www.nzso.co.nz/concerts/season/2014/

He is probably listening to the podcast, and typing things as he listens to it, forgetting that we are not all listening to it with him.

Yes it was from the podcast. Of course you're not listening with me! You guys get so worked up about everything.

There's a point he did mention that. Did he do anything Hobbit-related last March?

It's in the latest post on his blog:

At this point, I think I'm due back in Middle-earth sometime in March, so I should be able to post here a bit more regularly ...

How much do we read into the 'in Middle-earth (i.e., New Zealand)' line?

I assumed he meant NZ as well but he could be using it metaphorically. He probably did it thinking "this'll give the JWFaners something to debate over MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

Doesn't PJ cut the theatrical and extended versions at the same time? In which case, couldn't Shore have done it last year already?

With the result of the AUJ EE, I have a hard time believing additional sessions will be done. Plus, there is already extended scenes material on the current OST.

Also, Doug could be filming more stuff for the EE, like he did last year, as Shore's spokesman.

Yea, for the Hobbit tril, the theatrical and EE are cut at the same time. That doesn't mean Shore scores the EE cuts right away though, or even if he did, that that music is recorded with the rest.

Maybe Doug can come by here and help us out?

there is already extended scenes material on the current OST.

Well, I didn't hear anything that could cover Thrain scene (that could be tracked but, lets assume the best here) or the extra Mirkwood stuff.

Has anyone noted yet all the bits on the score that appear to score deleted material? Obviously we have that big chunk in 'The House of Beorn', but is there anything else?

AUJ was a fair bit different, given that only a few minutes of new music was required, and Doug mentioned that additional recording sessions were not cost effective, so they tracked music instead. I suspect we'll get a lot more new footage which needs new music. I trust it will not be tracked from elsewhere, as that would be truly awful.

But there are several unreleased bits on the production videos. There's a good chance that there won't be any new recording sessions for the EEs and that the unreleased music will be tracked repeatedly until the music requirement is fulfilled.

You referring to 1:25-2:33?

That's either dialed out material meant to play at the beginning of the Smaug The Stupendous scene (before the bit at 2:33 starts playing), or it's deleted Thorin/Bilbo stuff that Boyens talked about, I guess (That would play after the 0:00-1:25 bit plays before it cuts back to Tauriel healing Kili). Haven't analyzed fully.

EDIT: Read my notes wrong, that's Tauriel healing Kili stuff.

Anyways, the rest of "Smaug" is fully accounted for.

actually its neither

few seconds are dialed out during the scene where Smaug tries to burn the dwarves when he first sees them

but 1:38 through 2:33 Plays when Tauriel begins healing Kili

the biggest unaccounted bits I found was '2:55-end' of 'Inside Information', but that could likely be dialed out as well like any other smaller dialed out bit in the Smaug tracks

(it could cover the part where Bilbo is revealed to Smaug, before we see Smaug in full)

it is actually

well most of it

I definitely heard the climax when Bilbo turns invisible again and runs up the stairs

and I think the first part of the extended ending plays when the dwarves sneak underneath Smaug as the coins drip down (though that had to be pointed out to me)

there is some Smaug-material in the Hunters track near the end though, which I somehow doubt was meant for Legolas' battle with Bolg

actually its neither

few seconds are dialed out during the scene where Smaug tries to burn the dwarves when he first sees them

but 1:38 through 2:33 Plays when Tauriel begins healing Kili

Ah, yes! I was looking in the wrong place in my notes. The Tauriel healing Kili scene has bits from 2-12 [2:20-2:33] and 2-09 [1:56-end] mixed with other stuff. Woops!

the biggest unaccounted bits I found was '2:55-end' of 'Inside Information', but that could likely be dialed out as well like any other smaller dialed out bit in the Smaug tracks

(it could cover the part where Bilbo is revealed to Smaug, before we see Smaug in full)

I synced that to the film, it still fits (barring some minor edits). So it was just dialed out, not for a deleted scene.

The extended end of "Smaug" is not in the film.

Wrong, it's all used in the film, barring some parts of what I called "Crossing The Bridge" that was replaced by a tracked Smaug's Theme statement. Please see here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23304&page=120entry966918

A scene involving them going through the ruined Dale and perhaps searching more intensely for the pathway up to the Hidden Door might be a good chance to use it, at least in some form.

I highly doubt they will use it since the theme was abandoned in DoS to emphasize the feeling of the main characters going to a new and potentially dangerous territory beyond the edge of the Wild. Or something to that effect. Doug Adams mentioned it in the Tracksounds podcast.

I highly doubt they will use it since the theme was abandoned in DoS to emphasize the feeling of the main characters going to a new and potentially dangerous territory beyond the edge of the Wild. Or something to that effect. Doug Adams mentioned it in the Tracksounds podcast.

Perhaps but still it would be nice to hear it perhaps as they arrive at the foot of the Lonely Mountain and the gate of Erebor, to mark the end of their physical journey at least. Plus for some in the company, this area at least isn't new territory.

The Fellowship theme lenses itself well for that moment. The MM theme might not work as well in such a bombastic, triumphant choral rendition. In a hymn like setting though it works wonders.

Shore could record one of those unrealised choral renditions when the dwarves attack the Orcs. Like a "For Frodo" moment.

That was my thought, as well as maybe something more mournful on the "back again" journey after their losses.

I'm not too bothered one way or another whether the theme comes back, personally.

Oh, it'll be the House of Durin theme in a scenario like that for sure.

If MM returns, it will likely be in some kind of end of movie epilogue type situation.

There's room for all these wonderful themes I'm sure. We'll save the heroic version of the House of Durin theme for

the last stand of Thorin and his nephews, followed by a mournful rendition of the theme when everything goes to shit and a sombre version of Thorin's theme with Khuzdul chorus

You think Fili and Kili will make it to Erebor in Film 3? They won't have an entirely new made up storyline that keeps them in Lake-town for longer?

There's two pieces of evidence to suggest they join the rest of the company in the mountain. Firstly, we know the four actors at Laketown took a helicopter for filming at some high location, which suggests they must leave for somewhere. Secondly, we know Bofur has a conversation with Bilbo the night before the battle (Martin Freeman interview prior to DoS where he spoke about his favourite scenes still to come).

O’Gorman and fellow dwarf actors James Nesbitt, John Callen and Aidan Turner were dropped off on a mountain in New Zealand’s South Island. The four actors, in full costume, made their way up a hill while second-unit director Andy Serkis filmed them from a circling helicopter. It was then, O’Gorman said, that the actors began humming the theme from “The Lord of the Rings” films

Of course there is the chance this was for those walking scenes in AUJ, but it's a bit odd that these four actors were the only ones involved.

Well the real possibility of a drawn-out farewell scene between Kili and Tauriel as a result of this split is certainly no laughing matter. God forbid - those Kili/Tauriel themes might get a real workout in the next film.

Oh, I'm sure Tauriel is going to Erebor as well. There's no way there isn't going to be a huge drawn out sequence of Tauriel and Legolas fighting orcs on the mountain.

You jest of course, but if I hadn't seen them filming a scene involving Legolas and Tauriel meeting Gandalf and Bilbo in the ruins of Dale I'd find that a worrying plausible notion (her actually joining the Dwarves inside). As for her and Legolas doing crazy shit in the battle, well that's a given. And now Thranduil can get in on the act.

Oh, it'll be the House of Durin theme in a scenario like that for sure. If MM returns, it will likely be in some kind of end of movie epilogue type situation.

I don't think there is a chance that the map plus its music will NOT be included in the epilogue.

Hey guys, has anyone else noticed in The Forest River that the two statements of the Woodland realm right before "Tauriel B theme" are swapped in the film?