Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

They're the ones I gave. Jason's timestamp for the Arkenstone theme from the AUJ prologue includes that, so I assumed he counted that as part of the theme. I didn't check if he listed the appearance in On The Doorstep though.

Jason, you listed it correctly.

TGP, the phrase you suggest is not a new motif of its own. It's simple a continuation/extension of the "B phrase" of the Arkenstone theme, giving it more of a melodic structure. Yes, it doesn't appear in AUJ exactly as it is, this extension makes its first appearance in DOS, with the choir singing it atop the familiar choral cluster in On the Doorstep (somewhere I'm the 7 minute mark). But let's not hasty and assign it another name or anything....

BB any more thoughts on the score? I haven't come across any detailed reviews of the scores, like with AUJ, am I just not looking in the right places?

I'm working on one, I'm hoping to have it finished by the week, but we'll see.

Have you read my review of AUJ? There are still some revisions I need to make based on recent discoveries, but it's largely in line with the current school of thought on AUJ's themes.

That's what I was suggesting, it's a second phrase.

This was in response to KK, not you Jason. I think they're categorized fine, I just wasn't sure if you had included that second melodic phrase in your breakdown.

In one of the Smaug cues, the Arkenstone melodic line (B phrase?) Is quoted independently of the choral cluster (a phrase?).

For me it's: cluster, choral phrase, string phrase. Sometimes the choral phrase isn't choral, and/or plays over the cluster. But I've not heard the string phrase appear anywhere except following those two.

Oh I agree at the 3 ideas you've mentioned, but I group that "choral phrase" with the string phrase as the "B-phrase". It just seems like a natural extension of that melodic line.

The other way I'd look at is that the "choral phrase" should be grouped with the cluster as the "A phrase". It's Shore's way of referencing the same phrase without neccessarily taking on the same cluster each time (because the cluster itself isn't a very adaptable idea).

For me it's: cluster, choral phrase, string phrase. Sometimes the choral phrase isn't choral, and/or plays over the cluster. But I've not heard the string phrase appear anywhere except following those two.

So is the string phrase the figure with melody E ^ B A G F# G A B?

The Academy is all burned out for fantasy and especially LotR-related stuff.

What on [Middle] earth do they expect him to do in order to get an oscar nomination???

More Nazgul theme! Metric tons of Nazgul theme!

Get Metric to sing the Nazgul theme? ;)

metric_et1.jpg

The Academy is all burned out for fantasy and especially LotR-related stuff.

Yeah, it all the attention of a life time back in 2001-2003....not that these Hobbit films deserve much attention to begin with.

What on [Middle] earth do they expect him to do in order to get an oscar nomination???

You're talking about Ed Sheeran, right? Seriously, I don't know what the Academy was thinking. Retards!

For a minute you scared me! I thought Sheeran got a nomination...

Did DoS get any nominations by the way?

For a minute you scared me! I thought Sheeran got a nomination...

Did DoS get any nominations by the way?

Sound editing, sound mixing, visual effects.

It also holds the honor of being one of only three nominated movies that I've seen this year - the others being Star Trek Into Darkness and Iron Man 3, both up for visual effects.

The lack of a nomination makes sense, really. The competition's A-phrases just outshine Shore's in every conceivable way. You might say Shore brought his A-game to his B-phrases, but is sadly lacking in the matter of choral clusters. And the melodic lines, oh my god, don't even get me started. "Her" is just the best when it comes to the... the timestamps and such.

Yeah.

If you don't bring your A-game to the A-phrases you don't stand a chance at the Oscars.

What happens if you bring your A game to the B phrases? :o

When A-phrases lack cluster B-phrases won't help and become lacklustre.

It's a controversial position, I know.

Not really. People are saying LotR was overrated for years.

I literally don't know what the hell you're trying to say with A-game to B-phrases and superiority in timestamps and such. WTF?

It's a controversial position, I know.

Not really. People are saying LotR was overrated for years.

I literally don't know what the hell you're trying to say with A-game to B-phrases and superiority in timestamps and such. WTF?

Humour.

Y'know I really wonder what First Age music would sound like compared to Second Age (from what we know based on the Gonder theme statement in the alternate prologue, compressed is the key) and Third Age music...

I really want The Silmarillion, with Music Composed by Howard Shore...