Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I have no earthly idea what people mean when they say "Spider theme".

You will ... :)

Oooh another possible new theme! I hope it has some kind of hint at the Shelob music!
It's not new! It was in AUJ!
It might be the section of music you mean from AUJ or it might be not. We can't know for certain until we hear the new score.

Indeed. Well said.

:banghead:

Oooh another possible new theme! I hope it has some kind of hint at the Shelob music!
It might be the section of music you mean from AUJ or it might be not. We can't know for certain until we hear the new score.

Indeed. Well said.

;)

That doesn't count much I think. In early AUJ reviews, it was mentioned how an integral part the score was and how greatly integrated LotR themes were. I remain sceptic towards the film version of things.

But I doubt those reviews were from TORN. Anyway that report is about it sounding epic, which anyone can hear (without needing to understand the LOTR themes).

The word "epic" is so overused, it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Indeed. Well said.

You obviously know something we don't. Unless I have badly missed some obvious clue that is buried somewhere in these myriad Hobbit threads.

Fanboys saying that the score sound epic. That was unexpected...

Completely unexpected indeed. Also they once again use that most horrid of words, "epic", which obviously can mean same as good, great, giantly bombastic and everything in between.

The only motif that could be spider material is this darker passage at around 2:40 in Radagast the Brown track. Would that be the one?

Karol

Oh yes that angular rhythmic repeating passage. You might be onto something there.

I mention that because it reminds me a bit of the old Cronenberg-like Shelob music.

Karol

Indeed it does! Which is of course a good thing! I love that particular section of RotK! :)

He's not complaining. He's saying that compliments from overly-eager fans who were excited to get any new bits from the film, are no indication of the actual quality of the score. So a comment like that, isn't exactly something to be excited for, or to change our current feelings about the score (which are certainly more than positive).

The Shelob underscore reminds me of Shore's THE BROOD. Wonderfully expressionist.

Never heard this score, but sounds good!

Fanboys saying that the score sound epic. That was unexpected...

We hear positive things and you still complain!

That bit at 2:40 of Radagast the Brown sounds like Shore's Shelob music? I don't hear it. I remember the Shelob music had lots of frantic strings.

Actually there is the wonderfully creepy 8-note motto for Shelob, which sounds to my ears like a close cousin to that motif in Radagast the Brown. :)

Indeed. Well said.

You obviously know something we don't. Unless I have badly missed some obvious clue that is buried somewhere in these myriad Hobbit threads.

Jason is about to get a brain aneurysm.

He's not complaining. He's saying that compliments from overly-eager fans who were excited to get any new bits from the film, are no indication of the actual quality of the score. So a comment like that, isn't exactly something to be excited for, or to change our current feelings about the score.

Exactly.

The people at TORN seem quite critical of the films often to me, seeing as they love the books so much.

Certainly.

They are however not exactly experts at judging film music if my visits there are any indication.

The people at TORN seem quite critical of the films often to me, seeing as they love the books so much.

You haven't read it, right? Do you plan to? It's baffling if you don't intend to considering your enthusiasm for the films.

Certainly.

They are however not exactly experts at judging film music if my visits there are any indication.

Yeah... like most places on the internet that aren't JWFan, the discussion of music is painfully elementary.

Critical of the film, but no so knowledgeable/critical with the music. I'm sure anything that sounds decent would excite the hell out them.

Can't this thing be released already? I really want to hear those 120 minutes of score.

Honestly, before the press release of AUJ, did we really think we would get two hours of music for each film right from the start?

Honestly, before the press release of AUJ, did we really think we would get two hours of music for each film right from the start?

Not in a million years. Which is why this is so fantastic! :)