John Williams in San Francisco!!! September 16, 2013

Hmmm...this isn't impossible for me. I might actually have a chance at arranging a trip at this time. I'll have to check though...

I can't but admire and marvel the man. He is 81 and still going strong. I guess this is his way of connecting with the fans since he isn't the social media (or computer) kind of guy. :)

It better not be!

San Francisco is great, btw -- by far the highlight of my California trip last year. I would love to return, but probably in a few years. So the combination of SF and Williams is potent right there!

I've been to San Francisco, several times, it was like I was drawn there for some reason as if it was some strange mecca!!!

I can't but admire and marvel the man. He is 81 and still going strong. I guess this is his way of connecting with the fans since he isn't the social media (or computer) kind of guy. :)

I believe these concerts are not a "farewell" tour but rather a gift to the orchestra since these concerts are typically at reduced rates or donated time from the maestro but will sell out. I understand there is a long series of concerts planned for this purpose. Baltimore symphony concert two weeks ago was an example. I'm playing with them now and they were all blown away by JW. I'll right up some of the comments I heard when I return but they are in total awe of the experience.

• 1 month later...

I am going to have a fucking heart attack. Tickets went on sale 18 minutes ago. I had the two best seats in my cart. Ready to pay. And then the server crashed I think. The site is super slow and the phone lines are jammed. Anyone else have any luck getting tickets? I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed!!!!!

Dammit to hell. Well the server came up but I lost my perfect seats. I am fucking pissed. But I have pretty good seats so I can't complain too much. Still it is bittersweet.

Yes I think I should have logged in first. Maybe that would have helped. I guess it is good to know this is common experience. But who are the lucky folks who got my tickets??

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to have a fucking heart attack. Tickets went on sale 18 minutes ago. I had the two best seats in my cart. Ready to pay. And then the server crashed I think. The site is super slow and the phone lines are jammed. Anyone else have any luck getting tickets? I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed!!!!!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. Took about 10 minutes for the site to recover. I ended up getting seats just 4 rows back from what I initially had, but more to the aisle side of center. Frustrating. But still, I cannot wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Program!!

Richard A. Whiting Hooray for Hollywood (with film)
Williams Suite from Far and Away
Williams Three Pieces from Harry Potter
Hedwig’s Theme
Nimbus 2000
Harry’s Wonderful World
Williams “Dartmoor, 1912” from War Horse
Williams Star Wars Main Title

-Intermission-

Steven Spielberg host
Williams Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind (with film)
Techniques of Film Scoring
Williams The Circus Train Chase from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (with film)
Williams “The Duel” from The Adventures of Tintin (with film)
Williams Theme from Schindler’s List
Williams “Adventures on Earth” from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

http://www.sfsymphony.org/About-Us/Press-Room/Press-Releases/Steven-Spielberg-and-John-Williams.aspx

I'm most excited for Far and Away, I don't think I've ever seen it live. And I can't remember if I've seen the "Indy's First Adventure" live or not.

I guess this means no Book Thief teaser (although I guess he could be saving it for an encore).

He premiered also "The Imperial March" and "Yoda's Theme" in one of his very first Pops concerts in 1980, a few days before the film was released.

However, it's not up to JW to perform a piece from a not-yet-released film. Permission must be accorded with the movie studio and production company, as they have publishing/performing rights on the music. Considering how sensible they became in recent years to give out much details from upcoming films, I guess it's quite unlikely JW will perform anything from The Book Thief before the film and soundtrack album are released.

Very similar setlist to the Atlanta concert I attended last year (which also had Spielberg present for the second half). Also, at that concert I had hoped he'd premiere something from Lincoln, but no such luck.

I remember hearing Summon the Heroes live, before it was available on cd , when I went to see JW conduct in London in the summer of 1996. The cd release 'Summon the Heroes' tied in with the concert performance to some degree as I recall buying the cd that night after the show. It was then a few weeks later that I recall seeing JW conduct the theme live at the opening ceremony of Atlanta Games. Happy memories.

JC