Bernard Herrmann - 20th Century Great Documentary

crocodile

Thank you for sharing this Karol! A truly wonderful documentary. :)

It's alright, but inferior to the 1992 Music for the Movies doc. Goodall adopts his usual smug, patronising tone, and goes off an ignorant, reactionary rant about post-war serialism. That said, at least it's not as awful as his one about The Beatles.

Howard Goodall: the epitome of middlebrow shite.

It's alright, but inferior to the 1992 Music for the Movies doc. Goodall adopts his usual smug, patronising tone, and goes off an ignorant, reactionary rant about post-war serialism. That said, at least it's not as awful as his one about The Beatles.

I've seen the Goodall one, but I've always wanted to the see 1992 docu, especially because it's supposed to include interview/live footage of Herrmann himself, which is very rare. I don't think I've seen him in anything beyond pictures and the cameo in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

I've seen the Goodall one, but I've always wanted to the see 1992 docu, especially because it's supposed to include interview/live footage of Herrmann himself, which is very rare. I don't think I've seen him in anything beyond pictures and the cameo in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

I recommend Conversation Piece: An Unvarnished Chat with Bernard Herrmann released by the Film Music Society - an incredible listen. It's like having Benny and Norma (his third wife) in your own living room, complete with the dog going off. When Herrmann gets irate, you can almost hear the interviewers shitting themselves.

I recommend Conversation Piece: An Unvarnished Chat with Bernard Herrmann released by the Film Music Society - an incredible listen. It's like having Benny and Norma (his third wife) in your own living room, complete with the dog going off. When Herrmann gets irate, you can almost hear the interviewers shitting themselves.

It is an absolutely fabulous and enlightening listen. Benny comes off as a firebrand of an artist, sometimes almost like a caricature with his cantakerous and volatile personality but it is wonderful to hear him and his thoughts. As you say it is the closest thing to hearing the actual intimate discussion between these young and enthusiastic interviewers and Bernard Herrmann right in your own living room.