Star Trek Insurrection Expanded from GNP expected August 6th, 2013

Ollie

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Oh man! After reading that I had to get away from my computer and walk around to keep my composure b/c my excitement for this release is overwhelming.

:joke:

But in all seriousness I'm very much looking forward to this release. I was expecting this to come out around the holiday season or next year.

YAY!!!! I'll definitely be buying. Man if LLL's Matrix Reloaded comes out about the same time next month it's gonna be an expensive time. It comes out right after I get paid so I can order it directly from GNP's site.

That explains their Riker Maneuver post on Facebook this evening. Excellent.

I saw that and it didn't quite connect with me. Didn't they do the same thing for Generations and First Contact?

I think I'll get this with the First Contact (sadly I have not had an opportunity to buy it sooner, probably my favourite ST score after TMP). Actually I should start colleting these ASAP since I have not bought any of the new ST releases yet due to budgetary reasons. :blush:

I think I'll get this with the First Contact (sadly I have not had an opportunity to buy it sooner, probably my favourite ST score after TMP). Actually I should start colleting these ASAP since I have not bought any of the new ST releases yet due to budgetary reasons. :blush:

That's completely understandable. Ya I think all the Star Trek film scores should be collected...well the complete versions that have been released. :)

I'm not holding my breath on Varese doing Nemesis anytime soon.

Neither am I...

I don't remember, Trent. Their post only comes a few months after the Internet first made light of Riker's bizarre way of getting into and out of chairs. As it stands, it was not random after all.

Good! Finally!

The talk was about having all the Trek film scores remastered (and supposedly expanded). I imagine that excludes the Giacchino scores (I'm not even sure if the first one was out when they started the expansion series), but by any logical interpretation it should include Nemesis.

Good! Finally!

The talk was about having all the Trek film scores remastered (and supposedly expanded). I imagine that excludes the Giacchino scores (I'm not even sure if the first one was out when they started the expansion series), but by any logical interpretation it should include Nemesis.

TWOK was released a bit before Star Trek (2009).

Not sure if there were already plans at that time to do all of them.

I think this score has the best recording of Goldsmith's theme in the end credits.

Certainly the most reverby one.

Certainly the most reverby one.

Wasn't it reported that the remaster is going to have a drier, less reverby sound? I always lied the spaciousness of the album, so I hope I won't find the change distracting.

It thought it was Bruce Botnick who said that. Something about the Insurrection getting a drier sound if the reissue should happen. Can't remember why.

Karol

It would be nice if it did get a lot better remaster job. The sound on the original album never sat with me very well. If Bruce Botnick said the remaster job would be better than I trust his judgement. I forgot who remastered The Motion Picture for LLL....same guy wasn't it?

I hope the artwork for this score is better than First Contact's.

It thought it was Bruce Botnick who said that. Something about the Insurrection getting a drier sound if the reissue should happen. Can't remember why.

I don't remember who said it, only that I read it somewhere (probably here). If Botnick is doing the remaster, then everything should be fine (at the worst). If he can make it sound like STV, that would be incredible. I have a new Arcam receiver on order, and STV will be my first test disc.

The mix on the Insurrection OST, to me, seems to have reverb in excess.

Star Trek V has significant reverb, but at a reasonable level.

It's not that insurrection sounds bad, just that the reverb is too much.

I have to disagree on Star Trek V strings sounding synthy. There is a lot of synth in Star Trek V, but the strings always sound like strings to me.

It has that digitally shrill sound without much bass that was so typical of the 80's. Not bad, but far from Botnick's best work which came earlier and later (POLTERGEIST, THE EDGE etc.)

Yup I thought it would be November timeframe, great news!

Is this the last of the Star Trek titles that GNP would have the rights to?

Yup I thought it would be November timeframe, great news!

Is this the last of the Star Trek titles that GNP would have the rights to?

If you don't count the TV scores, then yes.

What Steef said. Ya, unfortunately Varese has the rights to Nemesis through Into Darkness

STV sounds a bit tinny and the strings synthesized. INSURRECTION has, to my ears, a vastly better mix.

It has that digitally shrill sound without much bass that was so typical of the 80's. Not bad, but far from Botnick's best work which came earlier and later (POLTERGEIST, THE EDGE etc.)

Listen to Plot Course - it has perhaps the smoothest, deepest, cleanest bass I've ever heard in a (partly) orchestral recording. I'm listening through headphones, and yet I could swear I can feel the floor vibrate when the bass drum hits.

GNP just posted the cover artwork for the score on Facebook and here is what it looks like...

StarTrekInsurrectionGNP.jpg

They also said this...

Well, here we go, guys. Thank you for your patience and support. As many of you noticed, Insurrection showed up on our site with an availability date of 8/6. That will be the ship date, and I will be making the album available for pre-order soon.

Well at least the artwork looks better than First Contact. It almost looks like Mark Banning's work...looks similar to Generations.

Obviously I knew this covers the last of the movies GNP has rights to..... I was specifically asking about the TV scores.

I know Best of Both Worlds was wonderfully expanded by them, and LLL's TOS Box superceded any TOS CDs they had.... was just curious if there were any TNG or beyond scores they've released that people were hoping would get expanded.

They own rights for the TNG pilot "Encounter At Farpoint" which that too is missing music from the original album.

They also have rights from these episodes too...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Television-Unification/dp/B000001P17/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373509219&sr=1-2&keywords=Star+Trek+The+Next+Generation

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Soundtrack-Recordings/dp/B000009COK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373509219&sr=1-1&keywords=Star+Trek+The+Next+Generation

I asked on Facebook when they meant "soon" for putting up pre-order for Insurrection, GNP said either tomorrow or most likely Friday.

Lukas Kendall posted this on FSM in this thread regarding for suggesting keeping the original album...

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=3&forumID=1&threadID=90048&archive=0

Hi Gang - hope everyone loves the new Insurrection CD from Crescendo. Just a heads up to KEEP your original CD for the album program, and the few album edits/takes that are unique to that disc—it's still in print and sounds great, which is why the new disc is a 1 (and not 2) disc set. The new album is a unique program of the score as heard in the film, plus some extras.

Also Lukas Kendall chimed in at FSM and mentioned everyone should hang on to the original album because the new release will be a

unique program of the score as heard in the film, plus some extras.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=8&forumID=1&threadID=90048&archive=0

Also Lukas Kendall chimed in at FSM and mentioned everyone should hang on to the original album because the new release will be the film version.

Unless we posted at the same time I think I ninja'd you. :P

Lukas Kendall just explained why GNP Crescendo's Generations set contained a second disc with the OST presentation, but Insurrection won't

Crescendo still has on hand lots of stock of the original Insurrection CD whereas for Generations they did not. This is one of those practical things that makes sense so I hope people support the decision, as I do.
Lukas

So all this time, we should have been buying up all the inventory of the OST to compel them to release the expanded version sooner, bundled with the OST?

Would that work with other labels, hmm? Pray... Star Wars and Harry Potter maybe?

Lukas Kendall just explained why GNP Crescendo's Generations set contained a second disc with the OST presentation, but Insurrection won't

Crescendo still has on hand lots of stock of the original Insurrection CD whereas for Generations they did not. This is one of those practical things that makes sense so I hope people support the decision, as I do.
Lukas

I've got the original album so it's fine by me. Rarely listen to OST versions of these sets anyway.

Karol