Star Trek Insurrection Expanded from GNP expected August 6th, 2013

Ollie

Still not got that one. It's a good excuse to buy both. Or even three, if you count the recent Ron Jones disc. I enjoy the old GNP album.

Karol

It's just a shame that GNP Crescendo didn't think to put their Insurrection OST on sale at any point over the past 15 years to try to move some of that stock..... or even offer it at a discounted price when bought with First Contact, Generations, or Best Of Both Worlds.... then maybe they would have been on board with remastering it and including it as Disc 2 of their new set.

I don't think the Insurrection OST needs remastering. It sounds great. Sure, you can always squeeze out a little more quality in a technical sense, but would it really make a difference to the listener?

I don't think the Insurrection OST needs remastering. It sounds great. Sure, you can always squeeze out a little more quality in a technical sense, but would it really make a difference to the listener?

For the most part not really.

Glad to see the usual nitwits at FSM are complaining as usual.

It's always easy to spend other people's money and tell them how business should be done.

The sound on the original Insurrection album is fantastic and was hailed as so by many when it was released if my memory is correct.

Any CD mastered in 1998 can sound better when mastered again in 2013 technology.

You will hear the difference in the tracks on the new CD that are the same as tracks from the OST.

The CD doesn't sound bad enough to where it needs to be remastered. You can only do so much. The album for Generations was bad, that needed remastering.

The CD doesn't sound bad enough to where it needs to be remastered. You can only do so much. The album for Generations was bad, that needed remastering.

Agreed.

Insurrection has a bit of reverb to it...although I guess if it's that way with the original master tapes or how they recorded it then is nothing they could really do. I'll be doing a good comparison of the two albums in terms of how they sound when I get my CD.

I could see the legit of Jason's question about why they didn't bundle the OST with it for those who may have never owned it. However, if they did they may have marked up the CD a few more bucks and people would bitch about that....

To me it doesn't matter, I have the Insurrection OST on CD. That along with the Trek 09 OST so far are the only two OST presentations I have kept. The others I tossed because they were obsolete, yes even tossed the original OST for The Wrath Of Khan.

Any CD mastered in 1998 can sound better when mastered again in 2013 technology.

You will hear the difference in the tracks on the new CD that are the same as tracks from the OST.

If the new release is really going to have a drier sound, I don't think you'll be able to easily compare them, objectively.

I've always found the OST mix a bit too wet and echoey, and I only bought it digitally, so I'm fine with a drier mix.

The original album can be purchased from Amazon for less than £1, so while I can understand some FSMers wanting it remastered, it still sounds perfectly fine. Some of them are acting like the OST is suddenly being stolen from.

I think "Unlikely Captors" is actually "Warp Capability". The cue names are very similar if not the same from when the boot first surfaced YEARS ago. I assumed those cue names were wrong but it appears they were correct.

The boot MAYBE worth keeping if cues can't be cleanly separated.

BTW....it was pointed out to me in the press release announcement of this...

"GNP Crescendo\’s new Expanded Collector\’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes."

Yet the track list shows just over 71 minutes. If the track list is incomplete whoever posted the track list NEEDS to correct it, if the press release is accurate.

Do we have a cue list for this film? And does anyone have a guess as to why GNP decided to put both versions of "The Healing" right next to each other before the End Credits (as opposed to including one as a bonus cue after the credits)?

The cue list they have used for Generations, First Contact and now Insurrection are their ORIGINAL cue titles. Actually ALL the Star Trek film score releases thus far have used their original titles for their respective scores.

Alright, well how about Silvestri's "Mambo" music -- do we know where it should go chronologically on the new album?

GNP replied to my post on Facebook...

"Hey Trent, I saw this a little earlier on FSM and will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. For now, assume the track listing is correct!"

Correct track listing:

1. Ba'ku Village 6:53
2. Out of Orbit / Take Us In 1:44
3. Come Out 2:34
4. In Custody 1:14
5. Warp Capability / The Planet / Children's Story 2:33
6. The Holodeck 4:35
7. How Old Are You / New Sight 6:14
8. Lost Ship / Prepare the Ship 2:39
9. As Long as We Can 1:40
10. Not Functioning / Send Your Ships 2:55
11. Growing Up / Wild Flowers / Photon Torpedo 2:55
12. The Drones Attack 4:15
13. The Riker Maneuver 3:15
14. Stay With Me 1:48
15. The Same Race 2:50
16. The Collector 1:10
17. No Threat 4:18
18. Tractor Beam 0:38
19. The Healing Process (revised) 5:04
20. The Healing Process (original version) 7:17
21. End Credits 5:30
Total Time: 71:37
Bonus Tracks
22. Ba'ku Village (alternate ending) 3:53
23. The Holodeck (alternate opening) 1:12
24. Growing Up (alternate) 1:21
25. Tractor Beam (alternate) 0:38
Total Time: 7:25
Total Disc Time: 79:02

Available to order at:

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=231

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M08938/star-trek-insurrection/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8234/.f

Okay, the illegally produced CDR, aka boot. :)

I also noticed that the film version of The Holodeck started differently, with this synth chromatic rhythm as data enters the water.

Until I paid closer attention to the film, I thought the boot was complete.

I'll be glad to retire it in favor of its new matrix.

Okay, the illegally produced CDR, aka boot. :)

I also noticed that the film version of The Holodeck started differently, with this synth chromatic rhythm as data enters the water.

Until I paid closer attention to the film, I thought the boot was complete.

I'll be glad to retire it in favor of its new matrix.

I think I made those notations on FSM but ya "The Holodeck" on the boot for the opening of it is an alternate. Kinda of cool that they'll be including that on the album. One of the versions of "Tractor Beam" is on the boot but it'll be interesting to hear both versions.

Although I do wonder if I'll be able to do a fade in for "The Healing Process" I mean after where it picks up in the film again from the revised action music. Oh and I too watched the film the other night to get reacquainted lol.

Although with the bridge having slightly redesigned, Data being able to remove his emotion chip (despite showing he couldn't before) and the mention of the Borg and the Dominion but the Enterprise not having any weapons upgrades....I consider that film to take place in a SLIGHTLY alternate timeline. As we know it Nemesis it showed the proper weapon upgrades she would have received during the Dominion war.

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to the release.

• 3 weeks later...

I think GNP got their discs in earlier than expected. I say that because I got shipping notification from them a few hours ago for my copy. :)

I think GNP got their discs in earlier than expected. I say that because I got shipping notification from them a few hours ago for my copy. :)

Me too. :)

GNP posted on a wall reply of mine to their facebook page about 3 hours ago that I made last week.

CDs are shipping today as planned. Sorry for any confusion!

So ya just be patient it's comin'. In the mean time we have the boot to pass the time.