Star Trek Insurrection Expanded from GNP expected August 6th, 2013

Ollie

Mine arrived a day early and am happy. This set is glorious and that is weird that the liner notes show it as a 2-CD set...

Now let's pray and hope Varèse comes to their senses and releases a complete version of Nemesis (and eventually STID) to round out the scores.

What?

Do you mean "there is not anything missing from the Boot/OST that could be added in a expanded release"?

Wow. Proof that it started as a 2CD set and someone talked them down to a 1CD

It never started out as a 2-CD set and dwindled down to 1-CD. GNP posted on FSM they said it was just human error, there were NO last minute changes.

There really isnt enough material for that.

Eh? I'm confused...

It never started out as a 2-CD set and dwindled down to 1-CD. GNP posted on FSM they said it was just human error, there were NO last minute changes.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge this was a 1-CD set from the get-go. It was certainly never a 2-CD during the period I was involved. I'm pretty sure what we have here is a case of someone working from the GENERATIONS template, forgetting to make the change, and nobody catching the error during the proofreading phase -- myself included!

After a quick listen it sounds a bit dryer, not by much though. The electronics are more prominent in the mixes.

Which Mr. Olivarez, is all it needed.

I've listened to it a fair amount (my scores are my commute music) and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

The electronics at the beginning of "The Holodeck" are more complex than I remembered watching the film, and make me smile a little every time that track starts.

The OST doesn't do the score justice, frankly.

Yup the mixing for this release definitely brings the synths out more and were dialed down in quite a few of places in the film. "The Holodeck" is one example but another comes to mind is the revised version of "The Healing Process". I heard more synths with this than what is heard in the film itself.

Well, depending how you look at it, their previous Insurrection album is a second disc, given that there many differences between the two. ;)

Karol

After a quick listen it sounds a bit dryer, not by much though. The electronics are more prominent in the mixes.

Sounds promising. I should have mine by the end of next week I think.

The OST doesn't do the score justice, frankly.

Definitely not.

You know...a few people deride this score as being repetitive.

Having listened to the expanded release, with a lovely refreshing (slightly drier....not quite down to STV) mix that shifts some focus in instruments....

Jerry took the dominant theme and built an incredible score around and out of it. It's a score with strong musical DNA. Everything else emerges from that DNA. Probably one of the best constructed scores of his late career.

So with this new release, exactly which parts of the OST are worth keeping on our hard drives? Any notable alternates?

Mostly just "Children's Story". It is so weird to hear the short film version after use to hearing the longer one from the OST for so long.

Alright, I'll add that, the Mambo music, and the album version of the End Credits to my edit.

I agree Fal. I really only love the Ba'ku theme, but I bought this anyway as a semi-completist who loves all of Goldsmith's other Trek scores.

This really is one of his strongest late scores. There's some really good action music that is some of his all time best.

Sent from Tapatalk

Mostly just "Children's Story". It is so weird to hear the short film version after use to hearing the longer one from the OST for so long.

Really? Children's Story has always been one of my favourite cues from the score. Guess I'll have to use the old album version in my playlist.

Can't wait for the CD. Good to see it finally seems to be getting the appreciation I've always said it deserves. :)

I really don't like Goldsmith's arrangement of the end credits for Insurrection.

Sounds too much like a concert hall recording.

Doesn't sound any better on this disc either.

Yes. There are certain points where the brass is playing much softer on certain bars.

If I'm not mistaken he may have also used that arrangement in several concerts at the time as well. And the Telarc release, The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith uses the same arrangement.

And although Nemesis' end credit performance is rather a lazy rendidtion of the Trek theme, it goes back to the original arrangement.

Yes. There are certain points where the brass is playing much softer on certain bars.

Thats not an indication of a different arrangement, just a different performance.

Well, surely he's written the crescendo into the score. So technically he changed the arrangement.

I rather like the effect. It only gets troubling when the crescendo gets so extreme that the brass get insecure, as in several live performances (I don't recall if Nemesis has that problem, or if it's just all down to the general unexcitement there). But then, the whole piece seems to be a real workout for the brass section. The LSO at least always had trouble getting it right live.