Star Trek Insurrection Expanded from GNP expected August 6th, 2013

Ollie

Really? Odd. I've only ever heard Goldsmith conduct the crescendo version live I think. Or probably not when he did the STTMP suite, but I'm pretty sure Nemesis with the LSO had the crescendo.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're putting it onto an iPod anyways, just swap out the film version for the album version of "Children's Story". That's what I did since I wasn't too keen on the shorter film version. Although it was a bit odd they chose the shorter version for that cue on the actual CD itself...

Anyone in the UK already got this? I'm still waiting.

(Extending "the UK" to "Europe") Mine arrived in Chicago on August 10, which means it should probably have arrived late last week or this Monday. No trace of it so far, so it's either delayed, stuck at the customs office or otherwise lost. If it's not here tomorrow I'll check with the post office.

Mine shipped around two weeks ago. It has happened before with GNP, when I ordered First Contact, so I'm not worried yet. But it would be nice to have it already.

Karol

Well, my parcel is supposedly waiting for me at the post office. I got a note that I have been charged £13.85 custom and handling fee.

I wonder why. It has never happened before and some of my orders were twice and sometimes even thrice as expensive.

Anyone knows why that might be? Maybe GNP screwed up the declaration or something?

(I mean: I know how this generally works, but never happened to me before and I'm not sure if I should even order stuff from non-EU countries anymore, because that wouldn't be affordable, to be honest).

Karol

Well, my parcel is supposedly waiting for me at the post office. I got a note that I have been charged £13.85 custom and handling fee.

I wonder why. It has never happened before and some of my orders were twice and sometimes even thrice as expensive.

Customs caught my SAE package as well. 33,60 customs fee for the whole batch (sans handling, as I picked it up from the customs office myself). They hadn't taxed an SAE package for me in years. I hope it was just a one off thing.

Man it sucks when customs nail you for something as simple as a a CD or CDs.

But if all you do is swap them out you lose "Warp Capability" and "The Planet."

Not unless you know some basic editing. :P

Yes, especially if it is an equivalent of that CD's price.

The VAT fee doesn't bother me, though. It's the Royal Mail fee that comes with it, given that it's more than I paid for the actual shipping.

Karol

But if all you do is swap them out you lose "Warp Capability" and "The Planet."

Not unless you know some basic editing. :P

I just added the OST Children's Story after that cue; didn't bother editing it. I think it's a difference performance, rather than just micro-edited, so I felt it worth keeping.

Well, surely he's written the crescendo into the score. So technically he changed the arrangement.

I rather like the effect. It only gets troubling when the crescendo gets so extreme that the brass get insecure, as in several live performances (I don't recall if Nemesis has that problem, or if it's just all down to the general unexcitement there). But then, the whole piece seems to be a real workout for the brass section. The LSO at least always had trouble getting it right live.

Is this about the muted note in his Star Trek theme?

It was in his 2001 performance of First Contact with the LSO too,

Easier? Harder, is what I was trying to say. Though perhaps it's not the crescendo that's the problem. I don't know anything about brass playing, but it seems to me that those few measure weren't easy to begin with, and adding the sudden change in dynamics might have pushed it over the edge.

Does anyone know how many copies this is limited to? It doesn't say on any of the pages on their site:

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=231&osCsid=a48cf8342f6b840c25b7aa4bac736956

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/

http://gnpcrescendo.com/insurrection/

Does it list a number on the back of the actual CD?

Hmmm.

They said First Contact was limited to 10,000. Why not say what Insurrection is limited to?

Does Generations of Best of Both Worlds expanded reissues say a #?

Oh I completely agree - First Contact is essentially unlimited.

I just have no idea how quickly I need to jump on Generations, Insurrection, and BOBW.

Oh I completely agree - First Contact is essentially unlimited.

I just have no idea how quickly I need to jump on Generations, Insurrection, and BOBW.

I'm sure they'll be around for a while.

If it comes out and I can afford it I jump on it so I don't have to worry about the whole limited thing.

If you mean the expanded version of Insurrection, the CD is out now.