How much are you looking forward to Minority Report?

Justin

Both Film and Score  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• The score looks awesome, the film looks dumb.
    • The Film looks awesome, the score looks dumb.
    • They both look dumb
    • They both look bloody awesome.
    • I don't care
    • Other

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to my own surprise I don't really care about the movie or the score. Williams has already pulled his best love theme to date, what more can I ask?

How about a huge serving of Williams action music with possible a huge grand theme with a slice of Potter later on for dessert?

Justin - :mrgreen:

I'm really really really looking forward to it.

Musically, I don't know what to expect. I'll probably love any style Williams chooses for it. I think it would be interesting if Williams did some more techno stuff ala AI in it. It kind of grows on you after a while. Either way, this is sort of a unique film for Williams to be scoring and I hope we get something fresh and exciting! Too bad there isn't much news on this one.

The score "looks" awesome. Hmmm. You have a sense I don't have.

Anyway I think the film will be the best of the summer.

Only 3 weeks to go.

Can't wait for another sci fi film from Spielberg, AI was great!

Can't wait for Goldsmithian Williams! Well, maybe.

The score "looks" awesome.  Hmmm.  You have a sense I don't have.

I was thinking the same thing. :mrgreen:

But I am very much looking forward to both the film and the score.

Neil

I had to choose "other." I don't know anything about the score, but I just saw the trailer for the first time last night, and I have to say it looks bloody awful. I have no desire to see this film, and unless it gets good word of mouth, I probably won't. Why must the future always be depicted as grey and rain-soaked? It just looks so -- unpleasant. And the plot? Has anyone seen "Logan's Run?" Yeah, I know, this one's about thought-crimes, but the end result is the same. The hunter suddenly becomes the hunted, blah blah. Unless Peter Ustinov shows up at the end, I'm not interested.

Spielberg is so far above this genre business, there are so many other films he could have committed himself to, why another stupid, futuristic sci-fi movie? With TOM CRUISE, no less! How does this guy keep getting roles? I loved CE3K and "E.T.," but those stories at least had a basis in reality. I have nothing against sci-fi, generally (or at least I didn't until recently), but the last decade or so has not been kind to the genre. ANYBODY could have directed this picture -- at least from what I gather from the trailer -- why does one of the great filmic geniuses of our day feel the need to dabble in what is clearly Ridley Scott/Paul Verhoeven territory?

I've read a lot of Phillip K. Dick, but have never seen a good adaptation of his work. (No, not even "Blade Runner," although that was enjoyable on its own terms.) The production design screams "A.I. 2," and there's NO WAY I'm going to subject myself to THAT again. As a matter of fact, based on the films coming out -- I saw trailers for the effects-laden "MR" and "MIB 2," and a couple of catch-it-on-cable comedies, "Austin Powers" and "Undercover Brother" -- I may soon give up on going to the movies altogether.

I can't believe I would find myself an old man at 35, but God do I hate what is coming out of Hollywood these days.

The score "looks" awesome.  Hmmm.  You have a sense I don't have.

Smart guy. :P I can't say it sounds good now can I?

Justin -Who thinks Joe is too critical... :(

:mrgreen: In Memoriam From Hell (Trevor Jones)

I'm always excited for a new Williams score, I really can't wait! And the movie looks good too. Different but good.

Ray Barnsbury

I can't wait for both the score and the movie. Why can't I wait for the score? Well, I don't know what it's going to sound like, but I do know that it won't be hacked up and it won't contain music from another movie.

~Harry

I think everyone should give the film a chance. From all I know about it, the film is not hardcore sci-fi (it is only set 52 years into the future) and the entire film is not grey and rainsoaked, despite the designer being the artist behind The Crow and Fight Club.

Design-wise (let alone in any other sense) it looks to be light years away from A.I. as well. I bet people are not only going to be pleasantly surprised, but out and out thrilled. This film will put all of the other summer films to shame for story and character, and the concept alone is going to be worth the price of admission (which, for the record, preceeds Logan's Run's source novel by at least half a decade). For those who read Dick's great short story, the changes that have been made will take an already great telling into a whole new level.

As for Williams score, I've been reading a lot of talk about it being very techno (where this comes from, I don't know, as no one who claims to know this as a "fact" names any sources), but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more in the classic vein of Williams' action writing. The action sequence played on Entertainment Tonight contained music that sounded very Lost World-ish, and the bit of intro music to the official website sound to employ traditional orchestra as well. Thank God if this is true, because I don't know how well sci-fish music would play against what we've seen.

Hands down, I bet this movie will be THE movie of the summer for fans who like intelligent, yet exciting moviegoing. :mrgreen:

I voted for awesome movie and score! I trust Steven Spielberg to use his music in the best possible way for the film. As for the movie, I have enjoyed the trailers and am hoping the entire film will live up to expectations. :mrgreen:

This film will put all of the other summer films to shame for story and character, and the concept alone is going to be worth the price of admission (which, for the record, proceeds Logan's Run's source novel by at least half a decade).

Surely you intend to say precedes...

I'll be buying the OST the day it comes out as usual by Williams,but from what I'sve seen of the trailers,the premice of the movie,it seems like a basic action Arnie style picture and not too subtleLot of fights,chases and big explosions.

K.M.

I think I want to do something I've never done: Buy the soundtrack when it comes out, but not listen to it. I've never experienced a Williams score for the first time in a movie theater. Normally I listen to the soundtrack before I watch the movie, and then I know what the music is and I know what to expect. I think this time will be different, however. :mrgreen:

~Harry

Counting the days....... how can anyone not be looking forward to both movie and score?!?!

I can't believe I just saw the trailer for it last night...

IT LOOKED AND SOUNDED AWESOME!

I can't wait. .

I could never buy a soundtrack and then not listen to it the moment I got it. I know it's only 3 days after the soundtrack but I still couldn't wait that long.... ;)

Justin -Posting 200!!! :)

They both look awesome, and I can't wait to see the movie and buy the score (which comes out June 18 I think).

-Jason, who loves his new bigger JP avatar THANKS to NEIL (Indysolo)

As for Williams score, I've been reading a lot of talk about it being very techno (where this comes from, I don't know, as no one who claims to know this as a "fact" names any sources), but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more in the classic vein of Williams' action writing. The action sequence played on Entertainment Tonight contained music that sounded very Lost World-ish

Yes, that is what I am expecting, with a Goldsmithian kind of edge to it.

Sounds like that may be on the money from what Spielberg has said of the score (a great source :), and he's said a lot more than anyone else about the score). By his account, it will be atonal (like Lost World) and we'll "feel" it more than hear it. Cool.

Given the key character of Anderton's background, though, their could be great potential for a great thematic, "tonal" piece, very emotional. Here's hoping.

I don't actually know what to expect from Williams, or Spielberg, this time.

But I don't care so much for the film as for the music.

Always looking forward to a new John Williams score.

It's normally taking some time before I buy the score, but I will - absolutely not affected by any other reviews about the score.

They could be nice or bad, but music is individual.

Remember Figo, Spielberg rarely strikes out 2 times in a row, and hell half the people here don't think he struck out last time either.

Heres betting that Steven still has a little game left in his old bones.

Spielberg rarely strikes out at all. I hope for a home run. Last time he did one was AI and before that Jurassic Park. Last time he striked out? Hmmm, Hook I guess, still it was a close miss.

Spielberg rarely strikes out at all. I hope for a home run. Last time he did one was AI and before that Jurassic Park. Last time he striked [sic] out? Hmmm, Hook I guess, still it was a close miss.

The last time Spielberg hit one out of the park was with "Saving Private Ryan," and before that "Schindler's List," and before that -- I'd have to go all the way back to "E.T."

I liked "Empire of the Sun," but it was no masterpiece. And the "Jurassic Park" films are fun to sit through, but pretty empty. An hour later, I have to wonder what it was I liked.

The last time Spielberg hit one out of the park was with "Saving Private Ryan," and before that "Schindler's List,"

Saving Private Ryan is weak in the story department I thought. Though, it is brilliant at showing why war is bad. It is not a home run, but to 3rd base. Same with Schindler's List, it is extremely good but parts are overly sentimental, not that that is necessarily a problem, but it was just far over the top here.

And the "Jurassic Park" films are fun to sit through, but pretty empty. An hour later, I have to wonder what it was I liked.

Maybe, but I found the whole bringing dino's back to life intriguing and it was a lot of fun. Which is why I call it a home run.

I'll be buying the OST the day it comes out as usual by Williams,but from what I'sve seen of the trailers,the premice of the movie,it seems like a basic action Arnie style picture and not too subtleLot of fights,chases and big explosions.

K.M.

Ok KM, I have seen all the preview and how you think it looks like a Arnie movie is beyond me. Can't think of many big explosions, and while it is a chase picture, nothing seems heavy handed. Looks rather mysterious to me. Besides I would welcome some Arnold type action over the mess that Spielberg dumped on an unexpecting public last year. Terminator, T2 and True Lies were all better films than last summers biggest bomb.

Morn,

You like how they brought the dinos back to life [in the JP films], and that's why you call them homeruns? And then you downgrade the success of SPR (because of story) and JL (because of sentiment)? Are you on drugs? If not for the special effects, JP would scarcely cut it as a segment on "Fantasy Island!" Talk about a crappy story! But I can see how you would think SL was a little over the top. Not quite as understated as dinos being resurrected from mosquitoes trapped in amber, wreaking havoc on San Diego... :roll:

You like how they brought the dinos back to life [in the JP films], and that's why you call them homeruns?

No, also because it had a pretty much solid story and was quite a lot of fun. And it didn't make you go ohh please what is this sappy crap like some of Schindler's List 8O It felt like Spielberg was too inspired and gave it too much.

Not quite as understated as dinos being resurrected from mosquitos trapped in amber, reaking havoc on San

It's really not *that* far fetched you know :( Sciencists are considering trying to bring Wooly mammoths back to life. They have the technology, it's just a matter of ethics and finding a preserved mammoth with DNA fully in tact, they are infact currently searching for that.

It felt like Spielberg was too inspired and gave it too much.

You're right, we mustn't have Spielberg too inspired. No wonder you liked "A.I.!" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What I mean is that he must have found it too moving so he made some of the film very manipulative which would be an echo of what he felt, but it failed in my opinion, it came off as corny and over the top rather than sincere.

SPR was overly sentimental at the end in a needless crying scene.

Schindlers List was virtually unbearable at the end when Oskar Schindler had his hissy fit about how he could have saved more. It was saccarine to the extreme and historically inaccurate. But it was melodramtic.

Apart from those two moments both films were fairly honest, though neither came close to portraying the carnage of the real war.

To me Jurassic Park was a better film that SPR, though not Schindler's List. But neither SPR or SL had a moment as pure and as awesome as Journey to the Island. Indeed one of the greatest scenes in film history.

None of Spielberg's 90's films comes close to his Jaws, CE3K, Raiders, and ET period.

SPR was overly sentimental at the end in a needless crying scene.

Schindlers List was virtually unbearable at the end when Oskar Schindler had his hissy fit about how he could have saved more.  It was saccarine to the extreme and historically inaccurate.  But it was melodramtic.

Okay, I'll give you that. I always complained about that scene in "Schindler," an otherwise excellent film. And I always thought the framing device of "Ryan," complete with distracting CGI facial morph, to be completely unnecessary. Otherwise, both films are full of imaginative visual details. Spielberg also incorporates them into the story more effectively than he did in "Empire of the Sun," which I liked, but definitely had more potential.

To me Jurassic Park was a better film that SPR, though not Schindler's List.  But neither SPR or SL had a moment as pure and as awesome as Journey to the Island.  Indeed one of the greatest scenes in film history.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

None of Spielberg's 90's films comes close to his Jaws, CE3K, Raiders, and ET period.

Agreed.

To me Jurassic Park was a better film that SPR, though not Schindler's List.  But neither SPR or SL had a moment as pure and as awesome as Journey to the Island.  Indeed one of the greatest scenes in film history.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

its a dinosaur thing, plus it was in my honest opinion cgi's finest cinematic moment. But the moment was so real for me. The whole,

what is the french term, mese scene? was absolutely perfect.

The acting, the directing, the editing, cinematography, special(and I do mean special)effects and quite simply one of Johns greatest pieces of music ever, all combined for a perfect moment.

Mise en scene.

If you're talking about when we first get to see the dinosaurs, I'm afraid I have to admit to being greatly underwhelmed. The acting came across in my eyes as the by-then-hackneyed Spielbergian "canned wow." The CGI was not good. (It improved with T-Rex and the velociraptors.) In short, I wasn't buying it. I also didn't love the JP theme. Yes, it's true. I thought it was bombastic and banal, and I had to wonder if Williams was trying to suggest baroque grandeur because he had recently watched the roc scene in "Mysterious Island." Since then, the score has grown on me, but it still makes me ill if I try to listen to the whole thing in a sitting.

The score looks awesome!

The film looks like trash. I cannot imagine a worse combo:

CRUISE AND SPIELBERG!!!

A washed up director meets a washed up film star.

Anyone remember the genius director Spielberg of such films as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Close Encounters?? Now all we have left is some dude who puts out crap like A.I..

Anyone remember the "cool" Tom Cruise you saw back in the 80's with Top Gun? Now you just get a mere shadow of his former self.

It will do 100 million since pretty much all these summer movies do unless they totally suck. However, I don't expect any big waves.

I picked "Other".

I don't know much about either the score or film, but hoping for the best. With the duo of Spielberg & Williams, I am RARELY disappointed....

I always complained about that scene in "Schindler," an otherwise excellent film

That scene to me is so bad it brings down the rating of the whole film.

the lack of respect for Spielberg on this thread staggers me!

I don't know where it's coming from either! It's not like we're talking about Jan de Bont or Jerry Bruckheimer.

I see Ricard has an image of the cover art for the CD but still no track listings! Quite a mystery we have here... Maybe the lack of attention has something to do with what happened with the AOTC release. Dreamworks must not want anyone to know anything about the score before the release date! Well, we have two weeks to go!

NP: Sum of All Fears(very pissed that I couldn't find Spiderman with it yesterday)

I see Ricard has an image of the cover art for the CD but still no track listings!  Quite a mystery we have here...

we don't even know if that is the cover art. we will see.

I search the net everyday for track listings. Heck, I might even find them by June 19th.

Joe.

You guys should search the net everyday for jobs because it's obvious you have way too much time on your hands.

Justin - :)