What do musicians think of JW?

It's fairly common knowledge that many in the "classical" music community don't have a very high opinion of John Williams and his music.

This is for a variety of reasons. For example they think his music is too derivative of that of other composers. The fact thay most of his music was written for film, and therefore by definition is inferior etc etc.

However John Williams has worked with some of the best musicians in the world. Yo yo Ma for example has worked with him both on film projects and an concert music, and seems to hold him in high regard.

Itzhak Perlam has been a soloist on two films for him and performed in concert with him.

There are numerous examples of JW working with a famous, established musician.

Does this mean that amongst those who actually perform the music, JW is better regarded then the "classical" music critics?

All the interviews, reports and discussions that I have read that contained the musicians' opinions of JW have been very positive. Those who have played under him usually have very high regard for his skills and music and some admit that even though they had been doubtful or dismissive of Williams' work in the past, their concert experiences had really opened their eyes and ears. Williams also counts among his friends many of the top musicians of the today's classical arena who seem to very much value and respect him as a musician.

I thought that the consensus was a little different. I thought the musical community generally respected JW for what he does. He is not a Mahler or a Tchaikovsky but he is great at creating fantastic film scores with musical viability. Something more than simple ear candy.

I also thought the music community felt that if he has a weakness, it is definitely his conducting. I do not subscribe to that but I have heard that many times.

Perlman and Ma like performing with Williams because they know it raises their profile. Critics like deriding Williams because they know it increases their cachet among the cognoscenti.

Basically, it's a good career move.

They don't call it the music business for nothing.

Next.

I also thought the music community felt that if he has a weakness, it is definitely his conducting. I do not subscribe to that but I have heard that many times.

Actually, I've heard that from one of our own members after the Boston concert we attended. His conducting not very easy to follow.

Actually, I've heard that from one of our own members after the Boston concert we attended. His conducting not very easy to follow.

Interesting comments. This kind of criticism is rarely voiced in any interviews though, which is to be expected. It is more the personal opinions voiced in private.

Interesting comments. This kind of criticism is rarely voiced in any interviews though, which is to be expected. It is more the personal opinions voiced in private.

Criticism is the one thing you never, ever hear in interviews. You get endless backslapping and saying how the person was an inspiration and a joy to work with, regardless of what actually happened.

Hence I can't imagine anyone speaking publicly about Williams and being any less courteous than he is about others.

As much of an arrogant twit Horner was in Schweiger's interview, I enjoyed how frank and bullshit-free it was. I wish we could hear something like that from or about Williams.

Does this mean that amongst those who actually perform the music, JW is better regarded then the "classical" music critics?

Don't forget that the LSO, one of the leading orchestras in the world, always seemed to hold Williams and Goldsmith in high regard.

I've only noticed one big thing about Willaims and musicians.
Having talked to several of the Boston Symphony musicians about it, they LOVE it when he comes. He's friends with just about all of them. He has not only worked with, but is or was friends with ALL the great, Bernstein, Jessye Norman, Ozawa, Pearlman, Ma, Shaham, the list is endless. Those are just the best known among his recordings.

What i've concluded it that the people who usual say Williams is just some hollywood joe blow, is usually (not always) but most of the time, a musician who thinks that they are the best in the world, pompous, ect, and they usually havent gotten any higher than playing in a community group.

Williams truly is a genious, his recordings are unbelievably flawless, from EVERY aspect. From a technical standpoint, its impossoble to say he's anything less than one of the worlds top musical minds.

I've just learned to brush these people off, because in the long run, none of those people are cutting albums with Deutche Grammophon any time soon.

I'm sure there is a lot of professional jealousy.

On the other hand his concerts are very popular which is good for the composer/conductor and the individual musicians.

Whoever said he's hard to follow must be blind. I could follow him anywhere, escpecially in comparison to others. Bernstein was one of the best and i have no idea who they followed him alf the time.

how*

I'm sure there is a lot of professional jealousy.

On the other hand his concerts are very popular which is good for the composer/conductor and the individual musicians.

very true

Just reprinting my post from the BSO thread - they LOVED him:

Hello,

I spent the past week in Baltimore talking to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra who had just played the John Williams concert. I had the opportunity to talk to various members of the orchestra about their experience not realizing that for most of them, this was the first time theyd ever played under JW.

Members of the orchestra said at first they were surprised by how wonderful an experience it was. There were so many nuances and small touches in his phrasing that truly differentiating the experience of working with Williams from playing the same music under someone else. They found the music just came alive with an unexpected authenticity. This might seem obvious to us, but they were in awe.

I got so much joy from hearing these comments from usually stoic professional musicians, I thought Id share some comments from the performers:

"It was incredible! I just had to keep pinching myself. "

"The audience went NUTS!! It was a wall of thunderous applause we rarely heard before."

"When the strings played the first classic Williams melody of the night, I just turned into a giant goosebump. What I liked most is how he conducts his music with the pacing and musicality of a great conductor doing Brahms or Tchaikovsky -- perfect pacing and rubato, quick pace when called for, room for the solos to breathe. Just really cool. And of course, a whole Williams concert is really a challenge to play for bass trombone (a million high G's, a few A's and Ab's, Bb's, then low stuff). It really solidified my feeling that he'll be remembered not just as a great film composer but America's greatest composer, period, for decades to come."

"He was tremendously gracious and waited without complaint for any of us who wanted to have our picture taken with him. "

"Sometimes someone would sneak backstage and ask for an autograph and he obliged with a smile and grace as long as schedule permitted."

...One more story I just remembered...when it came time to rehearse Star Wars, JW said "You all know how it goes, lets skip it." The orchestra did not rehearse it at all. They played it straight through at the concert and it sounded perfect. This shows the skill level of pro orchestra and the unique composer/conductor/performer bond when you are dealing and communicating with the top level pros.

Well, there's one musician who had a say in this:

Kanye West: Yo, John Williams, Imma happy for your 5 Oscars and Imma let you finish, BUT JERRY GOLDSMITH IS THE GREATEST FILM COMPOSER OF ALL TIME!!!

1318956910_KANYE_SHRUG.gif