2015: The biggest year in the history of blockbuster films?

Jay

Seriously, it's crazy. Here's an article I just read about it:

http://www.hypable.com/2013/07/20/reasons-2015-is-going-to-be-absolutely-positively-insanely-incredible-at-the-movies/

The thing is, that article isn't nearly complete in terms of the giant films coming out in 2015!

That article lists:

Avatar 2, Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, Cinderella, Finding Dory, Hunger Games 4, Independence Day 2, James Bond 24, Jurassic Park 4, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Pitch Perfect 2, Star Wars 7, Terminator 5

Other films it didn't mention include:

Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Ant-Man (first Marvel Phase 3 film), Assassin's Creed, Fantastic Four 3 (actually a reboot), Hotel Translyvania 2, Inferno (sequel to Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons), Inside Out (New Pixar movie from Pete Docter), Kung Fu Panda 3, Peanuts (yes, Charles Schultz Peanuts), Penguins of Madagascar, Smurfs 3, and Tintin 2

How in the WORLD are any of these movies expected to make good money, with so many of them all coming out in the same year? This sounds like exactly what Steven Spielberg and Lukas Kendall are talking about. Things could change drastically after 2015 people!

... Of course, as a fan of many of these franchises, it's going to be fun year to be a fan at the cinemas!

I honestly don't see how Marvel thinks Ant-Man is going to make money?

It would have to be a totally different kind of film then the usual Marvel ones (and they are all pretty much the same)

As a comedy, or a Cronenberg-esque horror film is might work.

I agree with Jason. The Avengers will probably be fine, as will James Bond 24. I wonder if lightning will strike twice with Avatar. Knowing Cameron, it probably will.

Marvel is also wasting a huge amount of money on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Avatar 2 won't likely hit in 2015. Not at James Cameron's pace. And with JJAbrams at the helm of Star Wars 7 it's sure to underwhelm, not as much as if GL was directing but still.

I count 18 sequels:

Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Avatar 2, Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, Finding Dory, Hotel Translyvania 2, Hunger Games 4, Independence Day 2, Inferno, James Bond 24, Jurassic Park 4, Kung Fu Panda 3, Penguins of Madagascar, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Pitch Perfect 2, Smurfs 3, Star Wars 7, Tintin 2

3 Remakes/Reboots:

Cinderella, Fantastic Four, Terminator

And 3 "new" films based on existing franchises:

Ant-Man, Assassin's Creed, and Peanuts

Is Pete Docter's Inside Out going to be the only original film in the Top 20 Highest Grossers of the year?

There's also a new Tim Burton movie planned (Peregrine's Home for Peculiars), a Seth Rogen/Melissa McCarthy vehicle (B.O.O: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations), and possibly American Sniper or maybe Robopocalypse from Spielberg.

Schedules aren't set in stone. I expect some heavy moving of release dates, especially when some underperform in dreaded screenings.

Seeing TINTIN 2 on the list, i expect some of those productions already eagerly watch and court foreign markets - especially when countries like China have a 'summer quota' with only a handful of american films getting release permission between the crucial months of June and August. On the other hand, with surefire hits like SMURFS 3, how can u go wrong?

Robopocalypse is probably/hopefully dead. B.O.O sounds like R.I.P.D. Assassin's Creed is fanboy material only, very limiting it's potential boxoffice.

burton sounds perfect for Peculiars.

Schedules aren't set in stone. I expect some heavy moving of release dates, especially when some underperform in dreaded screenings.

Well, there's no chance that more than 5 of these 25 films mentioned will be pushed back to 2016. Too much money at stake

I read somewhere some idiot/brilliant/prognosticator thinks Star Wars 7 will be the first billion dollar grosser (US).

Jacko's gonna suck all of the fun out of the Tintin franchise with a cut that will obviously be the left overs of a hasty last minute hatchet job in the editing suite coming in at just under two and half hours.

I read somewhere some idiot/brilliant/prognosticator thinks Star Wars 7 will be the first billion dollar grosser (US).

This franchise hasn't got anything more to prove.

Jacko's gonna suck all of the fun out of the Tintin franchise with a cut that will obviously be the left overs of a hasty last minute hatchet job in the editing suite coming in at just under two and half hours.

That's ignorant, you're being ignorant, he's not Jacko, I'm Jacko, heee heeeeeee, sha mon, ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe in some other summer, but not this summer!

Abrams Star Wars will be an extremely safe crowd pleaser. Probably a tad dull in the long term after the initial spectacular novelties have wore off.

People will be relieved it never reaches the awfulness of the Prequels. Some will proclaim it be be on TESB levels because of that. But after a while it's won't be remembered all that much.

As long as JJ and his usual staff writters are kept away from the script, some hope remains. He's a competent action director and good with actors. Kershner's work isn't particularly stellar outside ESB and couple of other films

Actually, on the other hand John Williams might help raise Abrams' bar and enable him to punch through with a satisfyingly rounded adventure. His movies lack cohesive glue for me, they lack heft, a sense of progression. Michael Giacchino will be unable to hold him back this time perhaps.

Actually, on the other hand John Williams might help raise his bar and enable Abrams to punch through with a satisfyingly rounded adventure. His movies lack cohesive glue for me, they lack heft, a sense of progression. Michael Giacchino will be unable to hold him back this time perhaps.

Yes....yes!

JJ has got the real thing now!

Abrams Star Wars will be an extremely safe crowd pleaser. Probably a tad dull in the long term after the initial spectacular novelties have wore off.

People will be relieved it never reaches the awfulness of the Prequels. Some will proclaim it be be on TESB levels because of that. But after a while it's won't be remembered all that much.

Are you saying people over a 100 years will always remember Star Trek: The Motion Picture but not Abrams rebooting handiwork?!!!

They will remember the NCC-1701 refit Enterprise more than Abrams rebooted Enterprise.

I count 18 sequels:
Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Avatar 2, Avengers 2, Batman/Superman, Finding Dory, Hotel Translyvania 2, Hunger Games 4, Independence Day 2, Inferno, James Bond 24, Jurassic Park 4, Kung Fu Panda 3, Penguins of Madagascar, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Pitch Perfect 2, Smurfs 3, Star Wars 7, Tintin 2
3 Remakes/Reboots:
Cinderella, Fantastic Four, Terminator
And 3 "new" films based on existing franchises:
Ant-Man, Assassin's Creed, and Peanuts
Is Pete Docter's Inside Out going to be the only original film in the Top 20 Highest Grossers of the year?

ok, the above observations is my answer to those who said in another thread, that sequels/remakes/reboots etc. are getting made in the same rate as before...

WHAT? A reboot of Terminator? didn't know that!

they are being made just like always.

you really need to look at film history. Sequelitis is not new, nor it the knowledge that familiarity = $$$.

Frankenstein, Bride of Frankestein, Son of Frankenstein. Ghost of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Dracula, House of Frankestein, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

The Mummy, The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Curse, The Mummy's Ghost.

E.T. the Extraterrestrial, E.T. 2, Home Alone E.T. 3, Lost in New York, E.T. 4 Elliot vs. Aliens, E.T. 5 ET and Elliot's date with Chuck and Larry.

Are all those (except the false ones of course) released in the same year?

of course if we study 70 years of films, sequels are made.. But the last years, their number has increased considerably.

Are all those (except the false ones of course) released in the same year?

of course if we study 70 years of films, sequels are made.. But the last years, their number has increased considerably.

really they haven't. Not when you consider the sheer number of films.

No sequels are released in the same year except on very rare occasions in the recent past or present.

Well, Joey, the difference is that cheapo Universal potboilers from the 40's never were considered more than one-week-throwaways, now those films are the bread and butter of large corporations.

Not that i will start to lament the current situation again - not risking more wrinkles - but making quality films was the thing studio heads like Zanuck or Mayer considered their pride and they would have been disgusted at the childish sameness of what we now call mainstream cinema.

Biggest year? Maybe. But that also means many of these films will flop. At least in terms of what studios are expecting.

EDIT: Oh yes, Jason. You already mentioned that.

Karol

All of these films will underperform. There's just too many of them in one year, and only so much money to go around from the consumers

Well, Joey, the difference is that cheapo Universal potboilers from the 40's never were considered more than one-week-throwaways, now those films are the bread and butter of large corporations.

Not that i will start to lament the current situation again - not risking more wrinkles - but making quality films was the thing studio heads like Zanuck or Mayer considered their pride and they would have been disgusted at the childish sameness of what we now call mainstream cinema.

yes but they made money which is the point. Of course the economics of the future are somewhat different. Disney will lose money for the Lone Ranger, but will likely make up that loss in DVD and Bluray sales and rentals.

It goes without saying that there is no reason that a sequel has to be poor quality. As you mention pride should play a part but often doesn't.

The economics aside, i think the quality that got lost along the way was the storytelling - and the sequels are even more straitjacketed in what they can and can't do. In a way, all those movies are cloned the JAWS 2 way, meaning the same only bigger faster louder and i think it actually is sad for a lot of talented people working in the industry to waste away their time at another IRON MAN or SUPERMAN - because even if those movies break records, nobody really cares about them.

Maybe, but let's keep in mind, the new Star Wars trilogy will be about real locations and actual model work and less CGI.

How high are people's expectations anyway regarding a new Star Wars film?

In 1999 expectations were super high, A SW film made in the 90s was going to be the most epic film ever!

But these days?

The economics aside, i think the quality that got lost along the way was the storytelling - and the sequels are even more straitjacketed in what they can and can't do. In a way, all those movies are cloned the JAWS 2 way, meaning the same only bigger faster louder and i think it actually is sad for a lot of talented people working in the industry to waste away their time at another IRON MAN or SUPERMAN - because even if those movies break records, nobody really cares about them.

Agreed. Iron Man 3 will be the highest earner this year I guess. It's an OK film. I enjoyed watching it in the cinema.

But is it remarkable in any way? Will it be remembered at all?

There are quite a few movies on that list that shouldn't get made. Is anyone really clamoring for a Tintin 2?

Another Pirates film? I predict ID4 2 will tank, who in their right mind greenlit that?

And while Quint's musical assessments are inaccurate and have nothing to do with JJ's directing ability, I am curious as to the fallout from the prequels and what Lucas has done to Star Wars.

But it's not my money, if studios are willing to throw absurd figures on sequels let them do it. And I suspect quite a few of those films will be rescheduled for earlier and later times during the year or postponed to 2016.

Maybe 2015 be the summer that finally does in Hollywood.

I predict ID4 2 will tank, who in their right mind greenlit that?

Well you're probably aware that I really want this film to succeed because I'm such a huge fan of the first film. Not only that, I want the movie to be as good as the first.

You need only look at the numbers it pulled in 1996 to figure out why it was greenlit. But I think it should be delayed to 2016 for the first film's 20th anniversary and to avoid the crippling competition that will impede on the success of a lot of big films presently scheduled for 2015.

ID4 the sequel is a movie that has the right sequel time line. It would make sense that nearly 20 years since an alien invasion occurred that another might take place considering the vastness of space. Now how many inhabitable planets are within 9 lightyears?

ID4 the sequel is a movie that has the right sequel time line. It would make sense that nearly 20 years since an alien invasion occurred that another might take place considering the vastness of space. Now how many inhabitable planets are within 9 lightyears?

Cue David Arnold's scary aliens approach motif...

yes but this time we are waiting. A lot of reverse engineering has taken place. What was a 4 or 5 generation advancement gap in technology over us has been reduced and possibly negated.

According to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, Tintin 2 starts filming next year, so I don't think it's likely they meet the 2015 date. 2016 seems more likely, which maybe is better for the film itself and for Johnny's schedule, if he ends doing it of course.

http://collider.com/simon-pegg-nick-frost-the-worlds-end-tintin-sequel/

At 6:00 if you're interested.