2015: The biggest year in the history of blockbuster films?

Jay

I must say I want Hollywood to succeed. I love movies, I have always loved movies, and I want that to never change.

I am not sure if I'll bother seeing ID-4 2. I'm one of those people who think that movie does NOT need a sequel. Speaking of... I hope the extended edition for ID-4 becomes available on Blu-Ray at some point. There are some scenes that shouldn't have been cut, even though the theatrical release does work well on its own.

Many people want a Tintin 2, Mark. It was a very enjoyable film enjoyed by children and adults all over the globe.

I think some of these 2015 titles will end up being 2016 releases instead. Some of the titles planned for 2015 don't have release dates yet, like Star Wars Episode VII, Tintin 2 and Batman vs. Superman. Others have release dates, but are in the script stage with no directors and/or cast members attached -- like Terminator 5 and The Fantastic Four.

Plus with this overloaded summer schedule with several big budget flops (The Lone Ranger, RIPD, Pacific Rim, After Earth), I think some studios are going to shift a few pics into spring to avoid the competition.

I honestly don't see how Marvel thinks Ant-Man is going to make money?

It would have to be a totally different kind of film then the usual Marvel ones (and they are all pretty much the same)

As a comedy, or a Cronenberg-esque horror film is might work.

I think it's going to be great! A superhero film directed by Edgar Wright? Yes, please.

Edgar Wright does! And he wrote the screenplay himself along with Joe Cornish. So it's probably more like an Edgar Wright movie set in the Marvel universe than a Marvel movie directed by Wright.

Again, if it's a comedy. It could work.

But the thing is, so far Marvel has only ever made one type of film. Do they even know how to do anything different?

They're doing that now... James Gunn is directing Guardians of the Galaxy, set for next August. Time will tell if audiences will warm to that kind of tongue-in-cheek comedy, as well as Ant-Man.

Since Marvel took over they've all been funny anyways. And I am sure they realize the need to diversify their portfolio.

With DC going for the darker angle with MOS and Superman/Batman, it's smart for Marvel to have some more lighthearted fair.

They'll be fine through the end of Phase 3 at least. By the end of that though the profit margins will probably be pretty slim.

I love the first ID4. It's one of the better summer films to come along and it features an excellent score.

I'll be shocked if the sequel pulls in more than half of the originals gross.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on Tintin, I'd be more concerned about getting a domestic audience on board first, unless the production was handled by a foreign studio completely.

Full motion capture films are still lukewarm as far as audiences go. There has yet to be one that really grabs everyone.

As far as Marvel goes, until they stumble badly you have to give them the benefit of the doubt, while not everyone has heard of Guardians, it's got a pretty good cast attached to it.

I'm surprised 2015 doesn't have a Fast And Furious sequel.

The development cycle of a Fast and Furious movie is shorter than all the other movies already attached to 2015 dates. Universal greenlit Fast and Furious 7 earlier this year before F&F6 came out; It's release date is in 2014.

That's the thing with the 2015 titles mentioned so far - these are just the ones we already know about. There are movies, probably some exciting ones, that haven't even been written yet, that will also come out in 2015.

The development cycle of a Fast and Furious movie is shorter than all the other movies already attached to 2015 dates. Universal greenlit Fast and Furious 7 earlier this year before F&F6 came out; It's release date is in 2014.

That's the thing with the 2015 titles mentioned so far - these are just the ones we already know about. There are movies, probably some exciting ones, that haven't even been written yet, that will also come out in 2015.

They'll probably be sequels too. :sarcasm:

Well you're probably aware that I really want this film to succeed because I'm such a huge fan of the first film. Not only that, I want the movie to be as good as the first.

How many bad movies sprung from this line of thinking? The first ID4 was cheesy fluff, but at least it was a new kind of fluff back then. Now what is a sequel playing against? (is there a story desperately waiting to be told after ID4? Hmmm)

Well you're probably aware that I really want this film to succeed because I'm such a huge fan of the first film. Not only that, I want the movie to be as good as the first.

How many bad movies sprung from this line of thinking? The first ID4 was cheesy fluff, but at least it was a new kind of fluff back then. Now what is a sequel playing against? (is there a story desperately waiting to be told after ID4? Hmmm)

Well I'm aching to see how Emmerich and Devlin will illustrate how the world coped for 20 years after such a dramatic worldwide disaster as was depicted in Independence Day. This aspect will probably serve as a backdrop to the main story, but I'm intrigued by this alternate history of the last two decades. It's easy to say that the alien technology acquired after the first film would have made the recovery and reconstruction phase a smoother process, but there would have still been many other difficulties like re-establishing governments and infrastructure, as well as dealing with the social issues that might have manifested. I'm excited!

Maybe, but let's keep in mind, the new Star Wars trilogy will be about real locations and actual model work and less CGI.

How high are people's expectations anyway regarding a new Star Wars film?

In 1999 expectations were super high, A SW film made in the 90s was going to be the most epic film ever!

But these days?

I will probably see Star Wars ONLY for the Williams score, if i do.

other than that, i have no interest whatsoever.

Aren't them kids movies? *alexmodeoff*

If Abrams is able to introduce some more cool protagonists it will be fine, but in contrast to ST, SW never was in trouble - at least financially speaking - so he may get less free reign than on ST.

Maybe, but let's keep in mind, the new Star Wars trilogy will be about real locations and actual model work and less CGI.

How high are people's expectations anyway regarding a new Star Wars film?

In 1999 expectations were super high, A SW film made in the 90s was going to be the most epic film ever!

But these days?

I never forgot the disappointment that as ROTJ, so I wasn't so sure it was going to be good. Lucas was no longer a god in my eyes. That being said, I've always been interested (something I've expressed several times at the forum) to see a Star Wars movie seen through the perspective of a different director and without the involvement of Lucas. What would Nolan, Lynch, Fincher, Spielberg or Scott do with this universe? Episode VII is a baby step closer to the answer.

Aren't them kids movies? *alexmodeoff*

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back had a lot of teenager cool, but things got a lot more childish with Return Of The Jedi. 'Childishness' was the main reason why I wanted to see a Star Wars movie from a different perspective.

Alex

Personally, all I really need to see in 2015 is Jaws 19.

LOL, you win the thread!

Joey loves movies ... but only if they are from Hollywood AND when they are conceived as blockbusters.

so the idiot gets it wrong again. for something that thinks it's so smart it's amazing how stupid it is.

what happened to Jaws 5 through 18?

Joey loves movies ... but only if they are from Hollywood AND when they are conceived as blockbusters.

so the idiot gets it wrong again. for something that thinks it's so smart it's amazing how stupid it is.

what happened to Jaws 5 through 18?

The Asylum has time!

It's an exaggeration of the truth. Show me your collection of Hollywood films and then show me your of non-Hollywood films. Well, Joey? Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is?! Or list your favorite movies and let's see how many non-American movies we can find on it.

very few non American film, we just don't see many foreign films in the states, sorry. I suppose I should be intrigued by Belgian cinema, I've heard it's sublime. Considering the large # of films I have I would gather that most are not blockbusters. But almost half of my films are old black and white movies that the great alex cremmers has likely never seen, probably would never bother with. Old B movies are probably beneath you. I do have some old Japanese horror films (50's and 60's), and some Hammer films.

One of my favorite films of the summer was a Chilean film called Aftershock. I had to actively search to see that one.

I know what you mean but Hollywood does by far produce the best output which generally appeals to my own tastes. No contest.

I don't know, some foreign countries put out some terrific films. I personally think a lot of Studio Ghibli's output puts Pixar to shame, honestly.

Its very obvious.

You even dismiss English cinema.

Not always, and only contemporary stuff. I still have plenty of time for classic British film. It just tends to be the newer stuff I vet very carefully for some reason.

I know what you mean but Hollywood does by far produce the best output which generally appeals to my own tastes. No contest.

I don't know, some foreign countries put out some terrific films. I personally think a lot of Studio Ghibli's output puts Pixar to shame, honestly.

I find their films uninteresting, I simply do not like that style at all.