2015: The biggest year in the history of blockbuster films?

Jay

Fifty Shades of Gray will make 100 million. It might be HUGE.

based on bad material but loved by so many sexual unsatisfied women?

Ted made $218 million, but then Million Ways To Die tanked. It's not clear how well Ted 2 will do.

Those films aren't mutually exclusive. It's a sequel to a well received film, and doesn't even need to make half as much as the first to break $100.

It will appeal to the generic "Americans looking for a summer popcorn flick" crowd. It does come out while Avengers 2 will still be going strong (opening 2 weeks after it), but then it doesn't face any competition until Jurassic World opens 4 weeks later, so I think it will easily hit $100 mil.

Whose the film for Jason? Well see how it goes. It looks like garbage to me. But maybe I'm off base.

Stefan you're sounding ignorant suggesting it's aimed at the Fast and Furious crowd. If you'you'd seen any other last 3 films you would understand how bad your comment was.

What else are people looking for a summer escape going to see between May 15 and June 12, Koray? Are Tomorrowland, Spy, and Pitch Perfect 2 going to be big draws?

What else are people looking for a summer escape going to see between May 15 and June 12, Koray? Are Tomorrowland, Spy, and Pitch Perfect 2 going to be big draws?

Wasn't Pitch Perfect really popular? Either way, just because there aren't any other big movies to see doesn't mean people will still go to the movies. And people will see The Avengers 2 multiple times.

Maze Runner 1 made $101 mil!

It may not be a guarantee the sequel will do as well or better, though.

Do any of these stand the chance of cracking $100 mil US?

St. James Place

I feel like this one's chances are 50-50. Could do really well and bring the Hanks/Spielberg collaboration in style, or it could underwhelm and end up in the $50m-80m range. It might depend on if it's R-rated too.

• 5 weeks later...

Add another big franchise movie into the 2015 pile:

Disney has moved Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book remake (starring Christopher Walken, Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Giancarlo Esposito, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong’o and Neel Sethi) from April 15 2016 to Oct 9 2015

This should not be confused with Warner Brother's The Jungle Book: Origins, directed by Andy Serkis, written by Steve Kloves, and starring Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan, Peter Mullan, and Rohan Chand, coming out in 2017.

• 1 month later...
20th Century Fox has altered its summer release schedule, slightly delaying Jake Schreier’s Paper Towns and Paul Feig’s Spy, but moving Poltergeist (an MGM co-production) a full two months earlier than initially planned. Of the three, Poltergeist will now hit first, arriving in theaters May 22. Spy, which was originally slated for that date, will see release on June 5, in turn bumping Paper Towns to July 24.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/416235-20th-century-fox-swaps-shifts-dates-for-spy-poltergeist-and-paper-towns

• 1 month later...

Well Joey hasn't made a summer box office thread so I guess I'll put this here

Furious 7 Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide in Just 17 Days

Crazy. You have to wonder if the original version of the film released when originally planned in a world where Paul Walker never died would make nearly as much