Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Do they submerge the audience in icy cold water on that one?

I don't quite see how there can be a Titanic "ride"...

Is there a Schindler's List ride out there too?

Karol

Avatar wasn't exactly groundbreaking in terms of theme, dialogue, or story to begin with, and how he needs another year?

Avatar wasn't exactly groundbreaking in terms of theme, dialogue, or story to begin with, and how he needs another year?

Avatar has surpassed Titanic as the film most overly criticized. The criticism is more unoriginal than the film's storyline is purported to be.

• 1 month later...

It's a fine score. It's an unmistakably Horner score, and we were hoping for better (i.e., more unique and original) considering he had a year to approach the thing. Given that he didn't come through on that level with the first film, I'm keeping my expectations safely low for the second . . . but it would be nice to be surprised on that account, wouldn't it?

It has some cracking good action cues in there, the best I'd heard in ages and I still haven't heard better since. And the melodies where strong as well, even if one was recycled as par for the course.

It's a fine score. It's an unmistakably Horner score, and we were hoping for better (i.e., more unique and original) considering he had a year to approach the thing. Given that he didn't come through on that level with the first film, I'm keeping my expectations safely low for the second . . . but it would be nice to be surprised on that account, wouldn't it?

My thoughts as well. I set my expectations too high back then, so my first couple of listens were a definite letdown. I came to like it a lot more over the years.

I still think Titanic is the better score, narratively and thematically.

I cannot listen to this due to the often horrendously cheesy vocal work for the tribe. But there are some tracks where Cameron allowed for sustained dramatic scoring like here - and that's where AVATAR shows at least that a real craftsman was behind it.

I cannot listen to this due to the often horrendously cheesy vocal work for the tribe. But there are some tracks where Cameron allowed for sustained dramatic scoring like here - and that's where AVATAR shows at least that a real craftsman was behind it.

See this is what I hate about the score. The wailing and "ethnic" elements are unbearable as always, and even when Horner is being Horner, he's been Horner better before. And considering how craptacular the film is, there's zero chance of the music being saved by some dramatic associations.

It has some cracking good action cues in there, the best I'd heard in ages and I still haven't heard better since. And the melodies where strong as well, even if one was recycled as par for the course.

Does Avatar actually have any original tunes? They're all lifted from one place or another.

See this is what I hate about the score. The wailing and "ethnic" elements are unbearable as always, and even when Horner is being Horner, he's been Horner better before. And considering how craptacular the film is, there's zero chance of the music being saved by some dramatic associations.

There are parts where its excessive, but I actually liked some of the ethnic colours used.

Avatar makes for an entertaining enough package. But aside from a few highlights, there's not much worth revisiting.

Does Avatar actually have any original tunes? They're all lifted from one place or another.

That's goes for every aspect of Avatar. They didn't even make an effort to come up with something new. That's why I was constantly frowning.