Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Isn't that old news?

Well, Avatar is not only getting two but three follow-ups. Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment will release Avatar 2 December 2016, Avatar 3 December 2017, and the third one in December 2018. Production will begin next year, and director James Cameron has enlisted some high profile writers to co-write the follow-ups. (He'll be directing all three pics too.)

Josh Friedman (The Sarah Connor Chronicles) will do Avatar 2.

Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) are penning Avatar 3.

Shane Salerno (Savages) is doing Avatar 4.

Source.

Yes! JWFan is under threat from those who worship the false idol Giachino!

If we ignore him perhaps he goes away.

He was never going to be the next John Williams. :pfft:

libraloco, you're wrong. I linked to a brand new article, just published yesterday. I grabbed one piece of it as the "headline" here, but the article is full of other information if you read it.

Yes! JWFan is under threat from those who worship the false idol Giachino!

If we ignore him perhaps he goes away.

He was never going to be the next John Williams. :pfft:

Well, he's leading that poll about who should take over Star Wars ;)

The people have spoken!

By the time these Avatar sequels are made enough time would have passed for a reboot.

• 1 month later...

Back in January, it was announced that "Avatar 2" won't hit theaters until late 2017, but that doesn't mean pre-production isn't ongoing. According to a leak from BGNNews, the poster for the film is currently being designed, and one of the two finalists making the said poster has revealed some information regarding the film's plot.

Turkish poster designer Gökşan Özman is one of the two finalists chosen to create the one-sheet poster that director James Cameron and the studios will use to promote "Avatar 2." Özman is responsible for several big-budget Hollywood posters such as those used for "Gravity," "Noah," and "The Wolf of Wall Street."

"I am really excited about the result. My target is to come first in designing the poster for 'Avatar' which will come out in 2017," Özman stated. He also detailed, "A prison theme will dominate the story and I have focused on that theme while designing this poster."

What isn't clear is whether this means there will be humans kept in a prison or if the Na'vi have been captured and kept in prisons following the revolution seen at the end of the first film. There are fan speculations that the prison could also represent Jake Sully's (Sam Worthington) condition as he is now permanently in his Na'vi avatar.

He and the other finalist are still designing their work, and Özman confirmed that the final results will be announced by the end of the year. However, it wasn't specified if the results would be privy only to the production team or if it would be unveiled to the public as well.

"Avatar 2" will see the return of Sam Worthington as Jake Sully, Zoe Saldana as Neytiri, and Sigourney Weaver, although she will reportedly portray a different character instead of reprising her role of Dr. Grace Augustine.

"Avatar 2" opens in 2017, with "Avatar 3" and "Avatar 4" opening in 2018 and 2019.

I know it's not likely to happen, but I would love to hear what Giacchino would do. I imagine it would be like John Carter or Jupiter Ascending, and that would be awesome. :)

I know it's not likely to happen, but I would love to hear what Giacchino would do. I imagine it would be like John Carter or Jupiter Ascending, and that would be awesome. :)

no we need someone with talent.

Good luck to whoever gets the gig. Cameron's a nightmare to compose for; he's struggled to find a regular collaborator for his scores throughout his career.

He happily butchers the scores in the mix long after the composers have gone, although he and Horner seemed to find a groove together on Avatar (very little tracking in that film, but lots of revisions).

The question is does he have enough taste to differentiate between symphonic film composers like Williams/JNH/Shore/Elfman or the ilk of Zimmer Clone Incorporated?

It would be hard to believe if Cameron hasn't at least calmed down since his Aliens or Titanic days. I've heard the stories of him being a short-tempered tyrant on set of those movies, but I haven't heard those stories while making Avatar. The fact he's still married to the same woman since 2000 is another indication that he isn't the uncompromising hardass he once was.

• 4 weeks later...

They're saying at FSM that Zimmer might be the most likely candidate to score Avatar 2.

Him again?? Can't they pick someone else to take on Horner's leftovers? Like someone with talent?

Yeah like Jablonsky or Djawadi!

Oh wait...