Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What a dumb idea.  The sequel won't make half as much money as the first one did, and they'll just keep dropping from there.  

Wait until he announces it's gonna be in virtual reality! 

I, for one (as an avid AVATAR lover), am quite thrilled with this news. The only drawback is that he will be so preoccupied with this for the next seven years, that we don't get to see him use his visionary qualities on other material. Unless he manages to sneak a couple of projects in there, like THE INFORMATIONIST -- which is still listed as a viable, future project (now that BATTLE ANGEL and the Nagasaki/Hiroshima projects both seem dead).

James Cameron is 61 years old.  When Avatar 5 comes out in December of 2023, he'll be 69 years old.  You think he's gonna make more movies after all that?

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

I, for one (as an avid AVATAR lover), am quite thrilled with this news. The only drawback is that he will be so preoccupied with this for the next seven years, that we don't get to see him use his visionary qualities on other material. Unless he manages to sneak a couple of projects in there, like THE INFORMATIONIST -- which is still listed as a viable, future project (now that BATTLE ANGEL and the Nagasaki/Hiroshima projects both seem dead).

Battle Angel is going to be directed by Robert Rodriguez. Cameron will still produce the film.

I couldnt see a satisfying avatar sequel....the film ended pretty well and closed. But making 4 more movies looks insane.

It it at least had some basis on a book series or something...

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Cameron is 61 years old.  When Avatar 5 comes out in December of 2023, he'll be 69 years old.  You think he's gonna make more movies after all that?

I really believe that Cameron's gonna be like Spielberg and Scorsese and never stop making movies. He's said as much in interviews, anyway, but for all we know he could still be developing his Avatar 5 follow-up at 90 when the Grim Reaper drags him away kicking and screaming.

I think we all know those release dates aren't going to happen. I'll be surprised if he ever gets past 2 and maybe 3. It's taken him 10 years to do a sequel if he releases it in 2018/19. That's ridiculous. I enjoyed Avatar and welcome a sequel, but 4 sequels is never going to happen. 

James Cameron is shooting all 4 Avatar sequels at the same time

"It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [Avatar scripts] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One". 

"We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It’s going to be probably the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It’s like, ‘No, no, no, no, this person hasn’t died yet, so you’re still in this phase of your life.’ It’s a saga. It’s like doing all three Godfather films at the same time.”

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

This part is kinda interesting:

Cameron also confirmed that the reason his Avatar films will be released a couple years apart is because of a certain Star Wars franchise; “My original plan was to release them a year apart, but we’re opening that up. If for no other reason than that I don’t want to land on the same date as one of the Star Wars sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them. [Laughs] No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with Star Wars. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head to head with us.”

Currently Disney has Episode 7 in December 2015, Rogue One in December 2016, Episode 8 in December 2017.

Now we've got Avatar sequels in December 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023.

Does that mean he knows that Disney is planning their 2018 Star Wars film (Han Solo) for May 2018 instead of December 2018?

And that he assumes 2019's Episode 9 will be in December and not May?

He makes it sound like its some revolutionary way of film-making. But isn't that exactly what was done with LOTR in 1999?

It's the way plenty of film productions have happened - LOTR, Matrix 2/3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2/3, The Hobbit, etc etc

1 hour ago, KK said:

He makes it sound like its some revolutionary way of film-making. But isn't that exactly what was done with LOTR in 1999?

I'm not sure if anybody's ever done four at once. 

Do we know how much overlap the LOTR productions had? My impression was that they kind of had each of the three films roughly blocked out and that any crossover between them was more the exception than the rule, but I could be wrong about that. I assume there would be things like they would have done the Shire stuff from ROTK at the same time as they were doing FOTR, right? And I know they said they did Grey Havens "right in the thick of principal photography" but I dunno what exactly that would mean....like if it's just that it was toward the beginning of working on ROTK but they had more or less finished with the first two films, or if it was like "Dead Marshes last week, Grey Havens this week, Lothlorien next week!"

You're wrong.  The three LOTR films were shot as one big production, they didn't block out months for specific films.  One day they'd be filming scenes for FOTR in the morning and scenes for ROTK in the afternoon and the next day scenes for TTT or whatever.  Plus, they had 2 simultaneous units running for a while (IE Peter Jackson's main unit, John Mahaffie's second unit, and sometimes a third unit as well) and of course scenes moved from one film to another during post-production too.

It was really at the editing stage that they were broken into 3 separate films; From the beginning they had a different editor assigned to each one, and the dailies would come in and be sent to one editor only and he would work on only that film.  Of course one principal was done PJ was heavily involved in the editing process an in the moving of scenes from one intended film to another.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

James Cameron is shooting all 4 Avatar sequels at the same time

Currently Disney has Episode 7 in December 2015, Rogue One in December 2016, Episode 8 in December 2017.

Now we've got Avatar sequels in December 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023.

Does that mean he knows that Disney is planning their 2018 Star Wars film (Han Solo) for May 2018 instead of December 2018?

And that he assumes 2019's Episode 9 will be in December and not May?

My guessing is that Cameron wants to stagger post-production work too -- the guy's co-edited his last several films (including Avatar), and it's going to be a long post-production schedule even if he has four separate editors doing most the work.

I'm pretty sure it's crossed his mind that Disney will likely schedule Episode IX for December 2019 too. So he'll "let them have that spot" while he takes a breather. Hence the two-year gap between 2018 and 2020 and 2020 and 2022.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

I'm pretty sure it's crossed his mind that Disney will likely schedule Episode IX for December 2019 too. So he'll "let them have that spot" while he takes a breather. Hence the two-year gap between 2018 and 2020 and 2020 and 2022.

I can understand that he wants to take a "breather" inbetween some of this complicated schedule, but I really wish he'd manage to sneak in a less elaborate project or two as well. Do we know that he's still doing THE INFORMATIONIST first, before he throws himself into this?

Yeah, sounds like an oxymoron, I know (him being the perfectionist that he is). But films like THE INFORMATIONIST seem more straightforward, logistics- and production-wise. I hope we get to see both that and some other smaller projects in the years to come.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'm not sure I care to see four more of these, though.

I think that's ultimately the problem.

I wonder if Cameron and 20th Century Fox don't understand that a large part of Avatar's success was the novelty of 3D. These days no one cares about 3D anymore.

To be honest, I want far more than just four AVATAR sequels. I'm so in love with this universe, I could stay in it forever. No reason why this can't be on the same level as STAR WARS or LORD OF THE RINGS eventually.

Long live Pandora!

I doubt Avatar 2 will even make that December 2018 date, unless these films are radically shorter than the original (which makes sense -- this 4th sequel appeared out of nowhere; for all we know they just reconfigured the long-gestating 3 sequel scripts into 4 shorter ones).

But 3D/HFR render times alone will be a nightmare with a perfectionist like Cameron, and they haven't even started shooting!

I trust in him. His films are visual masterpieces even when there are shortcomings in his scripts. But he's been working hard to up that portion for these sequels.

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Do you read up on all the lore then? Is there lore for this? 

Quintus - never looks at lore 

To be perfectly honest, I'm not that interested in "lore" either -- although I do think the AVATAR universe has the potential to reach great mythological heights.

I'm more interested in the 'immersive' qualities of these films; just being absorbed on an almost physical level by the place itself (which the first film did marvelously, and which Cameron excels at in general).

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I doubt Avatar 2 will even make that December 2018 date, unless these films are radically shorter than the original (which makes sense -- this 4th sequel appeared out of nowhere; for all we know they just reconfigured the long-gestating 3 sequel scripts into 4 shorter ones).

But 3D/HFR render times alone will be a nightmare with a perfectionist like Cameron, and they haven't even started shooting!

In the article Jay posted, Cameron says they're working across 8 hours of story, meaning each film will run 2 hours.