Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Whoever accepts the gig will have to be committed for the next 6 years should they choose to score the entire thing. So I doubt Zimmer would do it. Unless he scores he first one and hands it down to one of his minion.

Shouldn't we expect an announcement fairly soon? I mean didn't Horner start work on Avatar some 2 years before release?

6 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Were even the humans animated in Avatar?

A lot of humans are animated in movies these days. Actors today have CGI stunt doubles. Meaning for if you some dangerous stunt, probably done in the computer with the actors face added later.  You just can't tell the difference.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

A lot of humans are animated in movies these days. Actors today have CGI stunt doubles. Meaning for if you some dangerous stunt, probably done in the computer with the actors face added later.  You just can't tell the difference.

There is a goofy part of an episode (mock DVD commentary being watched by the rabbit) of the American kid's show Arthur where a character, suspended awkwardly in front of a green screen, mumbles his line pathetically.  Then, the scene is shown with "special effects added."  The actor is now heroically defeating a dragon with Shakespearean self-confidence. 

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Not what I meant.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So that'll be what, a 12 year break between sequels? The Disney marketing machine behind it will probably do a good job of recontextualizing it for a marketplace that isn't exactly thirsting for a new Avatar. 

Interesting in that the Star Wars films seem to be going back to one every-other-year instead of yearly (imagine if they hadn't been so weird about not pushing Solo back to December for the sake of Mary Poppins, which was in hindsight a really bad move) so that means if this is the Benioff and Weiss trilogy, there's no real room for Rian Johnson's trilogy until after 2026? 

That's a long wait if that's the case. 

39 minutes ago, Larry O said:

So that'll be what, a 12 year break between sequels? The Disney marketing machine behind it will probably do a good job of recontextualizing it for a marketplace that isn't exactly thirsting for a new Avatar. 

Buddy, its a James Cameron film. Thirty audience or not, its gonna make a boatload of money.

I didn't say it wouldn't make money. But it's gonna need some context after more than a decade off. That's what marketing departments are for, even when the product sells itself, as with Marvel and Star Wars. Something that seems like a no-brainer still has to get placed in a framework and sold as effectively as possible. Avatar's been gone for 12 years and it's cultural footprint isn't particularly deep. The Disney marketing machine is going to do a good job counteracting that. Or at least I expect they will. 

I guess they could screw up and sell it like they sold Mary Poppins, though. But I'm not anticipating that as a realistic outcome. 

54 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

We'll all be dead by the time the first sequel comes out.

Maybe they'll figure out how to raise the dead and get Horner to write the score. It'd be worth having to put up with him moaning about his poor treatment on The Other Side just to hear his awesome danger motif once again as Zhake Sooly gets into perilous scenarios.

Honestly, I barely remember much about Avatar.  I only saw it the one time in 2009.  And my main memory is hating the 3D.  I should see it again at home, where I don't have to worry about the aching headache 3D movies give me.

Avatar is nothing special and the sequel will probably bomb. 

But the score is good! 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

No surprises here with regards to Avatar

Here's a variety article about this fwiw

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-avatar-star-wars-marvel-1203207661/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That is great!

Honestly, does anyone at this point even remember James Cameron's Avatar? Story, characters? The only thing I remember about it was James Horner's score.

I mean, I don't see movies in 3D because I hate it, but I hardly think you can say "the fad is over."  Pretty much every major tentpole is still released with probably half-3D showings, half-2D.

The novelty of it is over. But 3D is clearly here to stay. It's essentially the new default form to see a major blockbuster.

I imagine Avatar 2 will be trying and playing a lot with higher frame rate technology. And though I have zero interest in the Avatar sequels, I'd imagine Cameron would be the guy to get HFR right. Just wish he was banking on more interesting cinematic properties.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I walked out of Alien Covenant!

Wow. It's like I don't even know you anymore...

3D is indeed here to stay and - when done right - and you can bet Cameron will get it right, it very much adds to immersion, I've found.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

the sequel will probably bomb.

Its a James Cameron movie! It won't.

Last time I tried to watch Avatar I was struggling to keep my eyes open, it's just a slog to get through.

When I saw it in 2009, I could not believe the hysteria surrounding the film, the cult-like worship. Did I miss something? Was this really a revolutionary film?

It's been in development for far too long. People have lost interest!

2 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

And this is how Jurassic Shark became the Mattris of Avatar Disenchantment

Someone's gotta tell the emperor he's not wearing any clothes!

When I heard they were making five films, I was dubious. But perhaps, with enough money behind it, it'll push through like Fantastic Beasts? Although the Wizarding WorldTM franchise has been going strong ever since the Potter series ended, pushing all sorts of media in a variety of domains. Avatar hasn't had anything since all the Blu-rays came out...

They'll find a way to make the X-Men related to Pandora, teleporting Naavi (Nightcrawler) and Magneto looking for Unobtanium to build a superweapon to destroy all non-mutants.