Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Am I the only one here that has zero interest in the Avatar sequels?

I don't even have any interest in the original!

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't think anyone on JWFan really cares about them

I have very little interest in the new avatar movie, but I do have a lot of interest in a new James Cameron movie. 

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

As you can see from the responses, you're not. 

But I look forward to them very much. Adore the first movie and everything about it. Bring them on!

Nope.

Until 2015, the only thing that made me remotely interested in the franchise was the possibility of new Horner scores. But now that he passed away and Cameron replaced him with Franglen, all my interest in the new movies has waned.

I enjoyed the cinema experience of Avatar back in 2009 but discovered that it had zero re-watch value afterward.

I will definitely go to see the new one, primarily because I'm genuinely interested in seeing how good it will look. I'm not expecting to be blown away by the story... or Franglen's score (but I'm willing to keep my mind way more open on that particular front).

14 minutes ago, LSH said:

I enjoyed the cinema experience of Avatar back in 2009 but discovered that it had zero re-watch value afterward.

Precisely how I feel about the first movie.

Avatar was the first time many people watched a movie in 3D at the movie theater, which they continue to do so for at least another 3 or 4 years before that trend lost strenght (thankfully).

Avatar's 3D was beautiful and hopefully so will its sequels.

In these days when the multiplex is awash with CKC (Cutesie Kiddie Crap), I'll take any Cameron film (with its face-value earnestness) that I can get.

3D is a scam. I am glad it has mostly failed.

I no longer have the slightest smidgeon of interest in 3D, haven't seen a 3D film in 8 years and have no interest. I will not be watching this movie in 3D, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Everytime I see this thread bumped I think to myself why the fuck do we need 3 more stories from this world?!

Why do we still get SW stories , forty four years later?.

@bruce marshall Well I won't argue with you on that (at least the Disney sequels)

But I'll play along anyways.

Go up to anyone on the street, bar or grocery store, anywhere!....and ask them to name a character from Avatar (2009)

There, that's my response.

You just made my point though?

Boba Fett a memorable character...

Anyways, I loved Avatar in theater but was very let down when I watched it on DVD lol.  Convinced 90% of the enjoyment was the 3D cinema experience.

Also I still can't think of one characters name in it without googling.

I agree about AVATAR.

Great film, boring dvd

45 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Also I still can't think of one characters name in it without googling.

I'm not sure that's relevant.

We won't know till we see the film.

Re: Boba Fart.

Was he Really a character?

Iirc he was just a guy in a.metal suit in ESB

40 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I agree about AVATAR.

Great film, boring dvd

I'm not sure that's relevant.

We won't know till we see the film.

Re: Boba Fart.

Was he Really a character?

Iirc he was just a guy in a.metal suit in ESB

You're comparing the phenomenon of boba fett to...... characters in Avatar that the average person doesn't even know?

31 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

What does one have to do with another?

Bruce are you trolling me?

I asked why would they continue to make 3 more movies in this world.

You said well they make star wars.

I said star wars has characters that people actually remember. (My half assed reason as to why I'm not interested in any more of these movies.)

You bring up boba Fett.

I make my point even stronger.

You go... what do they have to do with each other?

Not replying to you anymore here man, grade a Bruce troll bait.

AVATAR isnt character driven. Just because the characters aren't house hold names.doesnt mean it doesn't have potential for interesting sequels.

I use Boba Fett to show that you can make a sequel based on very little . SW.sequels are set in a particular universe. AVATAR sequels can do the same . it doesn't need recurring characters.

Marshall don't troll*

* unless it's HOLKO😉

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Avatar was the first time many people watched a movie in 3D at the movie theater, which they continue to do so for at least another 3 or 4 years before that trend lost strenght (thankfully).

Most of those were conversions😒

Anyway, IMAX seems to have replaced 3d as a selling point  which is a.good thing

59 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

the constant "don't care about avatar?", "why do they make sequels?" comments on the internet (not just here) have become a bit tiring and predictable IMO.

That's the thing with obvious general truths.

I thought the first movie was fine when I saw it in theaters (apart from the serious eye rolling shit like Unobtainium), but have never had the interest in watching it again and may not even rewatch it before the sequels.  I’m also very indifferent to Cameron movies across the board.

1984 - 1997 James Cameron will always be an awe-inspiring run of creativity.   Avatar for me was a complete creative failure, its legacy more of an historical curiosity than anything else.

49 minutes ago, mstrox said:

... but have never had the interest in watching it again ...

Same here. I didn't see Avatar in theaters and bought the Blu-ray instead. I remember being impressed with the technical side of things, but to be honest, that's it. The world, the characters, the story ... I did not find them interesting. Since I have the movie on Blu-ray, I thought I would have rewatched it by now, but that still didn't happen. JWFan has unanimously denounced and rejected Alita: Battle Angel, but much to my surprise, I enjoyed that movie a lot more than Avatar

6 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

As a fan of the original movie it seems to me that it has become a bit of a "thing" to say you don't care about Avatar and while it is of course perfectly fine to have that opinion, the constant "don't care about avatar?", "why do they make sequels?" comments on the internet (not just here) have become a bit tiring and predictable IMO.

I think the reason this sentiment persists on the internet is out a realization that they had been had - most of the movie-going public that is. 

They bought into the marketing of this dumb POS movie as the future of cinema and helped it become the biggest film of all time.

Only to later on have the regret and realization that what they liked was so stupid.

Some of us though said it was dumb shit since we first clapped eyes upon its abhorrently vulgar and ugly colors. 

On 07/03/2022 at 11:00 AM, Jay said:

I don't think anyone on JWFan really cares about them

Avatar 2 is THE EVENT film of the year.

If nothing else it will push film technology forward like no film since......

Never underestimate James Cameron. 

Joe, looking forward to glassless 3D films.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess the next innovation would be "any angle" glassesless 3D.  But really it's such a waste of R&D money to sink anything into 3D, the fad is over.

Chandler Bing says could you BE MORE INCORRECT.  

What you see as a fad is part of the future.

Nope looks incredibly bad.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think the reason this sentiment persists on the internet is out a realization that they had been had - most of the movie-going public that is. 

They bought into the marketing of this dumb POS movie as the future of cinema and helped it become the biggest film of all time.

Only to later on have the regret and realization that what they liked was so stupid.

Some of us though said it was dumb shit since we first clapped eyes upon its abhorrently vulgar and ugly colors. 

Once again I guessed who posted this without looking at the byline.😒

I don't have much interest in this, personally, but I have absolutely no doubt this will be a box office smash and a hit with audiences worldwide. The fact that the Avatar universe might not have thoroughly permeated pop culture in the last decade has very little to do, I think, on how well this movie will do

3 hours ago, Romão said:

I don't have much interest in this, personally, but I have absolutely no doubt this will be a box office smash and a hit with audiences worldwide. The fact that the Avatar universe might not have thoroughly permeated pop culture in the last decade has very little to do, I think, on how well this movie will do

Once bitten, twice shy, they say. Or do you think that everyone who doesn't like Avatar is going to return to the theater? Yes, it will most likely make a lot of money (the gigantic hype-building promotion machinery will make sure of that) but I predict it will only do half as good as the first one.

Most of us here have respect for Cameron, but it's not a name that lives in the hearts and minds of the latest generation. He has been away for too long. He's that guy that 'old folks' used to brag about. Blue people? Meh ... Streaming!