Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Rampant and seemingly ingrained ageism toward elderly directors is pretty annoying actually. I swear kids today stir up more division now than ever before, considering how much they feign and pontificate their advocacy of acceptance and equality all the time. They're a horrible bunch a lot of them. 

Personally, I'm not really excited about the Avatar sequels. Not a fan of the first film and don't really get why is would need so many sequels. And the wait has been too long I think.

I think the story was kind of basic, nothing that really hasn't done before. I can't complain about the worldbuilding and design of the film. But I don't think that is something you can base a whole film series on. So I'll be curious to see what kind of story the other films will have.

I think it's great that there are people who really like the film and it's world, but it just doesn't do much for me. But this doesn't take away from the fact that I want other people to enjoy it.

About Cameron. I think I belong to the younger (kids) on this forum. I think Cameron is a great director and has made some stellar films. But I don't think he has impressed really that much since Titanic in '97. Either as director or producer. Plus, I'm not really a fan of the man personally. Don't agree with some of the things he said in interviews over the last couple of years.

I think I will see this film eventually. But it doesn't happen to me often that I have almost zero interest in one of the bigger films on the release schedule. 

On the world building argument *sigh* He also could have developed a series of pretty Pandora screen savers. But that's not enough for a movie. 

But I am open to get luckily surprised.

So when is Disney gonna start the hype train on this thing? Plenty of other films coming out late this year already have trailers or posters 

I hated the experience of Avatar in the theater.  I went to only 3 3D movies ever including Avatar and despised it every time.  Headache and I was taking my glasses off every couple minutes because they (my eyes I mean, not the glasses) were so uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Movies need James to succeed and he will. Many here will be dismissive.even if it goes beyond expectations.

And yes Alex Aliens is the superior, film and score. 😉

53 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Movies need James to succeed and he will. Many here will be dismissive.even if it goes beyond expectations.

And yes Alex Aliens is the superior film but not the recycled,  derivative score. 😉

😄

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I’m excited for this one, not gonna lie. I knew Cameron would know what’s at stake and pull out all the stops. This teaser and Danny Elfman’s score are the two things that will draw me to the theater when Multiverse of Madness opens.

On 09/03/2022 at 9:07 PM, Stu said:

I hated the experience of Avatar in the theater.  I went to only 3 3D movies ever including Avatar and despised it every time.  Headache and I was taking my glasses off every couple minutes because they (my eyes I mean, not the glasses) were so uncomfortable.

You should buy a pair of 2D glasses, which convert a 3D image back to 2D.

Out of interest, Stu, what were the other two films?

On 09/03/2022 at 10:07 PM, Stu said:

You need better eyes.

I'm still kind of interested in the sequels, mainly for what will be mindblowing CGI. Considering the last film was incredible visually and it was 13 years ago, I'm sure WETA digital will create something truly special, and likely the best CGI we've ever seen, especially with the water-heavy effects.

• 2 weeks later...

They showed the trailer for this before Dr Strange. Completely forgot about this. It sort of looks exactly like the first one. Whether that's good or bad, I couldn't tell you. 

Karol

I know. I was looking for it myself earlier after suddenly reminding myself of its existence. As you can imagine, it wasn't terribly memorable. 🤣 

Karol

I just saw that it's exclusively attached to Dr Strange 2 in theaters for a week.  So I guess it'll be online next Friday

Damn that is a great quality leak lol.

Maybe the film itself will be different...but I really dont see why it's taken over 10 years for this film to come out (yes I know - he was making several simultaneously). It looks and feels just like the 2009 film, which could be a good thing.

But it's almost like you expect something a little mind blowing, you know? Granted - if they're saving the best material for the film itself, good on them.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

We already know it will be visually spectacular.

BR2049 and AVATAR showed the way

But.....

this film will succeed or fail on its SCRIPT.

The reason #1 failed to become a classic

I agree on the script. Perhaps 10 years was enough time to come up with a compelling story to tell.

I did experience a slight pang of sadness watching this trailer, thinking of Horner. He would be scoring the shit out of this right now. :(

I still have faith in Franglen and wonder if the trailer music is his work? I quite dig it.

5 hours ago, LSH said:

I did experience a slight pang of sadness watching this trailer, thinking of Horner. He would be scoring the shit out of this right now

Indeed. Horner could've written an amazing score for this movie (maybe even better than the first one) if he didn't sat on that plane on that fateful day in 2015.

The water effects will be mindblowing. Some of those close up splashing shots, like when the hands are tightening the ropes and the water is splashing around the hands. Man...that kind of stuff will be ridiculous. 

Is it still WETA Digital? 

I still find dust unconvincing, and mist and smoke unconvincing, fire too many times, waves and waterfalls.

Basically anything that consists of trillions of little particles, still hasn't reached the right level of realism. 

CGI is strange to me. Even something release yesterday like Doctor Strange looks like shit to me. I just think movies rush too much these days. There is too much of an assembly line thing going on to really perfect effects these days. 

I can't think of a recent movie where the effects impressed me. Dune might be one. And then what else? Maybe the first Doctor Strange in some scenes.