Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

A good point, @Nick1Ø66.

One could argue that all art is artificial, but, imo, "art" (if that is what it is) created within a computer, seems to be cheating, not to mention lazy.

There's a lot to be said for good, old-fashioned practical effects, miniatures, and matte paintings.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

One could argue that all art is artificial, but, imo, "art" (if that is what it is) created within a computer, seems to be cheating, not to mention lazy.

I know the context in this instance is mainly about visual effects, but given some of the shit digital artists/painters get in the current internet landscape (especially now that AI art is on the rise), I would refrain from making such an overly general statement.

James Cameron Estimates He’ll Retire After 5 or 6 More Movies, Half Being ‘Avatar’ Sequels

"I would have to train somebody how to do this because, I don’t care how smart you are as a director, you don’t know how to do this," Cameron said of passing the "Avatar" torch.

Yeah. What is that qoute.

He just plain says that he feels he's better than everybody else. Not a fan.

And if he takes 13 years to make one movies he'll have to live another 60 years to make 5. I don't think that'll work

He's talking about "passing the Avatar torch".

It's hilarious actually.

The guy takes one and a half decades to make a movie that's bland and a sequel that isn't even out yet, and the media talk about it like it's some sort of Bond-like franchise that needs "passing of the torch".

1 hour ago, Goldfinger said:

Cameron has been full of himself for decades, so these comments shouldn't really come as a surprise.  

But after over a decade, his attitude should be more like "wow thank god this sh*t got made" instead of "I should really teach more people how to drag out production for years".

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He's been a megalomaniac for the last 36 years 

There's a clip of the making of ALIENS documentary, where he berates the (British) crew for not getting some facehugger effect right. 

Talk about a stretch. 

You call that berating? They weren't getting it done, he showed them how and how basic it was. No need for the hyperbole on a clip from 1985. 

4 hours ago, NL197 said:

Talk about a stretch. 
You call that berating? They weren't getting it done, he showed them how and how basic it was. No need for the hyperbole on a clip from 1985. 

There are far more respectful ways of doing things. Workers are not there to be abused, especially by someone who should be setting an example.

4 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

He would also use a nail gun to nail peoples cell phones to the wall if they went off on the set of Avatar

Call that a stretch? That is nothing less than the wilful destruction of another person's property. 

I was just looking at some of the ticket sales in the biggest cinema's in my country. They went on sale this wednesday.

For the first 4 days of release, there have hardly been any tickets sold. A lot of the seats are available.

With most big movies in the first 2 to 3 days half of the seats are reserved.

First reactions are in and.... they are mixed.

People praise the visuals & final act, but they say the story is (paper)thin and the characters could do with more developing.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-first-social-media-reactions/

"It's an Avatar movie"

Another one of those eyeroll inducing attempts to make it sound like a whole Avatar universe and legacy exists because of one singular movie, and had always been planned to exist.

This is reason number umpteen why Hollywood is just intolerable these days, the shilling and bootlicking of so-called journalists that requires certain areas of the brain to be permanently shut down, and just function as an echo chamber for the loudest celeb dumbass in the room, in this case James Cameron.

44 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

"It's an Avatar movie"

Another one of those eyeroll inducing attempts to make it sound like a whole Avatar universe and legacy exists because of one singular movie, and had always been planned to exist.

This is reason number umpteen why Hollywood is just intolerable these days, the shilling and bootlicking of so-called journalists that requires certain areas of the brain to be permanently shut down, and just function as an echo chamber for the loudest celeb dumbass in the room, in this case James Cameron.

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

6 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

"It's an Avatar movie"

He's not wrong.

On 01/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, GerateWohl said:

You know how it works in history where historians say, this and that king build this or that castle.

Same here. Just the king himself is talking.

Yes, and here he is (after the grosses are in):

image.png

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp....

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Love that quote from Mr. Sims, whoever he is. Sounds like a film right up my alley! Can't wait until Tuesday morning! 

If someone in my theater is slapping their seat, hooting, and screaming, they might skip themselves ahead a few spots in the Loud Person in a Movie Theater Order of Operations.  No way I’d start with the side-eye.  They’d at least get a “shut the fuck up,” might even progress immediately to getting an usher to shoosh em.

Okay, this question may be dumb, but I understand that Avatar 2 is in HFR (Higher Frame Rate), as well as the 3D option of course.

I want to see it with all the extras, e.g. The 3D, Dolby Atmos HFR etc. My local cinema lists it in Dolby Atmos 3D. But doesn't say HFR...

Does anyone know if the film is in HFR for every version regardless? Or HFR is a special add on you have to find and choose?

In Australia the sessions are listed either 3D or standard, no mention of HFR at all. 

My understanding is only certain sequences are in HFR, but the bulk of the film is 24 FPS (probably everything that isn't a major action sequence with fast movement).

I'd guess all versions of the film have this alternating frame rate, regardless of being in 3D or not.