Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

A while back I bet fake money on the question “Will 'Avatar: The Way of Water' gross more than $650 million domestically by January 31, 2023?” with my money on NO.  We’ll see if I lose all my fake money.

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Perhaps. But maybe give it until after the weeknd to openly discuss spoilers. Then a simple SPOILERS added to the title would suffice.

Fixed

I really like the first one even on the small screen. I watched it at home this week for the first time in ages, and even though I remembered the main plot beats, I was still drawn into the story and adventure. I think Saldana's excellent performance as Neytiri is the key to the first film. She is probably the only character that feels properly fleshed out rather than a mere trope, such as Ribisi's "evil corporate asshole" or Lang's "evil military asshole" (although I did enjoy Lang's scenery chewing performance). I don't quite think the sequel has the same amount of heart that Neytiri brought to the first one.

This sequel looks spectacular. Aside from the scenery and underwater stuff, there are some close-ups of Neytiri that look astonishingly real. The new teenage characters walk a very fine line between being tolerable and annoying, and it doesn't help that they refer to each other as "bro" in practically every scene they are in. That might work for LA surfer dudes but it doesn't quite work when the people who are saying it look like the Na'vi.

I still prefer the first one, and I think I'd enjoy the sequel more if it wasn't three hours. There is loads in it to enjoy but there is also a lot of padding.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For those who have seen THE WAY OF WATER... how big a leap, technically speaking, is it, over AVATAR?

I watched the first Avatar again before the new one, and the new one is a ridiculous step forward. It's mindblowing just how real they have achieved it visually. The water scenes are actually unbelievable. 

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

As for the running time... Let's put it this way, I had some coffee not long before the showing and wanted to pee 20 minutes into the film and enjoyed myself regardless. If that's not praise, I don't know what is. 😄

Bring back the intermission!

On 16/12/2022 at 11:44 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

For those who have seen THE WAY OF WATER... how big a leap, technically speaking, is it, over AVATAR?

Technology has finally caught up with Cameron's imagination. 

46 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Do they actually say “the way of water” in the movie?  And if so, what is the way of water?

They do, yes, although I'm not sure there's any huge signficance to it other than signalling a way of life.

These things always remind me of this FAMILY GUY skit:

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

To anyone who watched the movie: Do you really long for other Avatar sequels?

I'm indifferent. I care very little about the characters, story, or even music(unless Horner is still around). It's pure eye candy made with the latest tech. Sometimes it's nice to have some candy in moderation.

Did anyone else think the 3D in the 1st act (the forest scenes) was weirdly...cheap looking? I don't know if my eyes just needed to adjust or not. But the forest 3D didn't wow me at all and was kind of like a post production add-on in a cheap horror film. 

Then the 2nd and 3rd act was sensational 3D though, so not sure what was wrong with me.

That's true, but the last time a Cameron film came out the movie market looked very different.

People have a lot more choices now, especially with streaming (and a lot is coming out in the next 2 weeks), the pandemic is still going on and a lot of people aren't really sold anymore on 3D (however how good it is in the film).

And to be honest, there are also a lot of people out there who are not big fans of Cameron.

I think the film will gross between 1 and 1.5 billion. But it won't make the 2 billion mark

I also thought the story was stronger in the sequel. I think some of it felt indulgent and didn't add as much other than the "immerse in the world documentary" factor. But I did enjoy myself overall.

By the way, does this movie hold the current world record for the number of times you hear the word "bro"? I think it might. :lol:

Karol

Any idea why Cameron wanted to bring back Quarritch to be the villain for all the sequels, instead of coming up with some fun new villains for each film and get some more good actors in these things? 

Well I didn't die but I will neither confirm nor deny that way the water rolled down my face is any indication that I had a fun time.

There needs to be a special Academy Award for achievement in special effects. There is not competition. This is a leap forward. 

Its just a shame Horner is gone. He would have made the film better.

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Well I didn't die but I will neither confirm nor deny that way the water rolled down my face is any indication that I had a fun time.

There needs to be a special Academy Award for achievement in special effects. There is not competition. This is a leap forward. 

How early was your showing this morning!?

Oh, or did you see it last night

Saw We saw it Saturday morning at the 11:35 showing. I will go once more and see that the IMAX theater but I want to be in the middle

5 hours ago, saulocf said:

But limited the scope of the universe tremendously. The humans couldn’t find another villain?

It makes sense to have Quaritch return as the villain because the first Avatar can be seen (in retrospect) as being all about setting up Quaritch’s personal vendetta against Sully and that needs payoff. In that regard, TWOW feels like the perfect extension of that storyline and, indeed, it’s clear that it can (and will) continue into the third Avatar. 

As for Quaritch’s presence in the fourth and fifth Avatars, I didn’t know that was confirmed or anything. I can see how the same vendetta-driven conflict could get repetitive by then, but I have confidence in Cameron and his story team that they know what they’re doing.

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again: I hope this movie earns enough for Disney to greenlight Avatars 4 and 5. The moviegoing public deserves the chance to see this story played out in full.

Don't know what's wrong with me. This still doesn't grab me one bit. I'm still put off by the fact that despite the movie having been in the works for a decade, it's still only all about James Cameron.

I have a hard time sitting down watching a movie in a theatre, where I feel like watching the director masturbate for 3 hours and watch me over my shoulder if I enjoy it.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Any idea why Cameron wanted to bring back Quarritch to be the villain for all the sequels, instead of coming up with some fun new villains for each film and get some more good actors in these things? 

Think he just wanted to work with Lang again. And same goes for Weaver. Even though both are explained in the film, neither makes much sense.

Karol