Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It's already showing big word of mouth potential. E.g. i believe it was Italy that had a 250% increase of 1 day compared to the same day last week. 

The word of mouth is indeed great! I have so many friends who want to see it but it’s literally sold out, especially the big premium cinemas with IMAX and Dolby.

I had a bit of a crisis of faith as we were cutting the movie together,” admitted James Cameron of his billion-dollar-grossing Avatar: The Way of Water. “It was too violent. I wanted a balance between the beauty, the epiphany, the kind of spiritual aspect of the film, with the action, and I felt it had gotten a little too grim.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/guns-avatar-the-way-of-water-cut-violence-james-cameron-1235207390/

The movie is still very violent. There's scenes of people torturing teenagers, brutalizing the Na'Vi and the Pandora animals, etc. If I had a child younger than 13 I would not let he/she watch alone.

According to Deadline, ATWOW is the fastest movie since Spiderman No Way Home to earn a billion dollars at the box office, doing so in 14 days.

The first Avatar needed 19 days to get there. Infinity War needed 11 days and Endgame, just 5 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-grossing_films#Fastest_to_$1_billion

36 minutes ago, LSH said:

image.png

It's on it's way guys! Is Cameron gonna do it again?

I think it can pass Avengers Infinity War and Force Awakens by making 2.1 billion and become the 4th highest grossing movie. I'm doubtful that it can pass Titanic (which is at number 3) but you never know I guess. If TWOW is still doing good in February then Disney could technically move Ant-Man 3 a few weeks but its probably unlikely that they would do that but as both movies are Disney...

1 hour ago, LSH said:

It's on it's way guys! Is Cameron gonna do it again?

Of course. Need I say "never bet against James Cameron" again? I'm looking forward to laughing in the face of the AVATAR naysayers when it's reached its goal and beyond.

It'll absolutely hit $2b, the only question is how much higher it'll go.

I know heaps of people who simply haven't gotten around to seeing this yet because it's such a busy time of year, myself included!

Yeah I'm not betting on it getting to 2 within the next month.  It's clearly under-performing in North America and therefore even more dependent on the international gross than Disney was anticipating.  That said, it's obviously doing very well internationally, so it's certainly within the realm of possibility to get to 2 billion with a gross that's 70+% international.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It'll absolutely hit $2b, the only question is how much higher it'll go.

I know heaps of people who simply haven't gotten around to seeing this yet because it's such a busy time of year, myself included!

Cinemas are pretty booked up as well. I tried to book Avatar tickets the other day and most cinemas were fully booked. I haven't experienced this kind of thing in ages for cinemas.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I'm not betting on it getting to 2.  It's clearly under-performing in the US and therefore even more dependent on the international gross than Disney was anticipating.  That said, it's obviously doing very well internationally, so it's within the realm of possibility to get to 2 billion with a gross that's 70% international.

Yeah I think the gross of the first movie was over 70% international as well.

7 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Disney won't delay Ant-Man.

That said, I'm impressed with how fast it got to 1 billion. I think it'll do just below 2 billion. Around 1.8 or 1.9. But we'll see.

I think it will probably be at 1,4 within a few days so it should go over 1,8-9 IMO but who knows.

I watched this today. It's more or less the same as the first Avatar, which is to say it's not as fresh and does not come across as good. For one thing, I was underwhelmed by the action in the last act. That was one thing that the first movie was bang on. Cameron is usually so good with action. 

And yet again, 3D is cool for 5 minutes and then becomes a distraction. I'm convinced the best way to see this is in 2D in the largest screen possible.

The transition from 48fps to 24fps is extremely jarring, particularly in the last act when the action and editing is rapid. It is so bad that your eyes are clearly seeing the juddering vividly whenever there is a transition. 

It is certainly not getting 3 billion. Haha.

It will definitely beat Top Gun, but I think it's going to be a bit of a slow crawl to $2 billion, though I don't doubt it'll get there.

1 hour ago, KK said:

It is certainly not getting 3 billion. Haha.

It will definitely beat Top Gun, but I think it's going to be a bit of a slow crawl to $2 billion, though I don't doubt it'll get there.

Of course it's not going to be the highest grossing film of all-time. 

Oh wait, that was a quote from 2009.  ;)

Never bet agaist James Cameron, because James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is...James Cameron

While the movie is obviously a success, IMO it’s clearly not going to be a culture defining phenomenon that Titanic or the first Avatar (or TFA or Endgame) was.  It’s just a regular hit movie.  I wouldn’t bet against James Cameron sure, but geez I’m not gonna beg him to let me kiss his feet.

I like to think that one metric to assess if a movie is a hit (particularly with younger generations) is to see if it became a meme. Memorable scenes and moments from movies that hit the chord with people until 35 always became memes on the internet.

So far I haven't seen a lot of TWOW memes or quotes or anything, whereas Infinity War and Endgame were meme'd to death. But it still early to see, I bet it is going to be a viral hit on the web.

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I like to think that one metric to assess if a movie is a hit (particularly with younger generations) is to see if it became a meme. Memorable scenes and moments from movies that hit the chord with people until 35 always became memes on the internet.

So far I haven't seen a lot of TWOW memes or quotes or anything, whereas Infinity War and Endgame were meme'd to death. But it still early to see, I bet it is going to be a viral hit on the web.

It's usually because people are in Marvel/Star Wars bubbles

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The average person does not give a shit about memes. For the love of God, let’s stop measuring movies’ success by their memes. “Sure it’s one of the highest grossing films of all time, but no memes?   Failure!” I swear I have seen thousands of takes that TWOW would fail financially because the first film didn’t have memes. All memes measure is was the film successful with people specifically inside your online bubble. The average person is not terminally online like all of us. 

17 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The truth is that Avatar and Avatar 2 are much loved films worldwide. And whenever something is loved by the many, it will be hated by the few. It happens with everything popular.

And these people happen to be pretty loud but they’ve been pretty quiet in the last week :)

People can dislike what they want, and Avatar of course isn't to everyones taste, but with some actively hoping it will fail and laughing at how much they think no one cares, it sure does feel good as a fan myself, to watch the film become another massive success. 

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

with some actively hoping it will fail and laughing at how much they think no one cares

That was the most hillarious thing!

People betting against James Cameron. Will they never learn?

Well, it’s also some people have been won over by the sequel, when they didn’t care for the original (I’m in that boat… and my wife even moreso…she absolutely HATED the original*).

We both didn’t see the point in any Avatar sequels but now we're both very excited for more!

Yavar

*For the record, she LOVES Disney's Pocahontas (much more than I do) and also LOVES Dances With Wolves (at least as much as I do).

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

The average person does not give a shit about memes. For the love of God, let’s stop measuring movies’ success by their memes. “Sure it’s one of the highest grossing films of all time, but no memes?   Failure!” I swear I have seen thousands of takes that TWOW would fail financially because the first film didn’t have memes. All memes measure is was the film successful with people specifically inside your online bubble. The average person is not terminally online like all of us. 

Oh yeah, you're right, is just a tiny minority of people in the world that use social media to comment about movies. The rest of the world probably just like to read reviews on printed newspapers, magazines or watching regular TV.

Let me explain my oh so controversial stance that draw the ire of the Cameron sycophants (despite me liking Avatar 2 more than any MCU movie of these past two years): I think (let me say again: THINK) that a nice way to measure the popularity of a movie is seeing how it connects to the youngster, who USUALLY use social media. That's just it. If a movie is well liked, people will comment about it on the internet. 

Sure, it's not always a perfect metric. Morbius generated countless memes on social media, but barely anyone saw that film. In Avatar's case, the supposed* lack of memes or other comments on social media may indicate that the people that is watching the movie simply is not engaging with it on the internet. They go to the theater, sit there for over 3 hours, like what they see ( or don't) and then refrain from commenting it on the internet, unlike the MCU's biggest movies or Star Wars sequels.

And believe me, I find this whole lack of talking on the internet actually a good thing. God knows how insufferable the internet became when The Last Jedi came out.

*I said supposed because I don't have access to any social media big data. There may be lots of Way of Water memes that I don't know about. But since you're so passionated in defending the movie, why don't you write an email for Disney asking them about their data regarding social activity about Avatar?