Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

I'm guessing the modern strategy from these companies is to get all the digital dollars they can before announcing a blu ray edition, hoping to get mega fans to double-dip.

I think there's truth to that Jay. I also think there's some consumer training going on, in that they're trying to get the average person accustomed to buying their films digitally, for the inevitable day when physical media (which involves manufacturing and distribution costs) disappears...or at best becomes a niche product like vinyl. 

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm guessing the modern strategy from these companies is to get all the digital dollars they can before announcing a blu ray edition, hoping to get mega fans to double-dip.

That's The Mouse, for ya! ;)

13 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The future, unfortunately.

28-Own-Nothing-Be-Happy-f.jpg

People are too obsessed with owning things. Own too many things, and they start to own you. 

17 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

People are too obsessed with owning things. Own too many things, and they start to own you. 

I think there’s a trade off. I have no issue having a massive hard drive of music and tv/movies which I get to watch whenever I want for as long as I like and bequeath to whomever I wish as I would if they were on CD/Blu-ray, it’s when you’re basically permanently renting things (like Spotify/Netflix etc) where I’m less certain. TV and movies I can live with having to stream broadly but music I want to have forever! That’s why I have two backups… 

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think there’s a trade off. I have no issue having a massive hard drive of music and tv/movies which I get to watch whenever I want for as long as I like and bequeath to whomever I wish as I would if they were on CD/Blu-ray, it’s when you’re basically permanently renting things (like Spotify/Netflix etc) where I’m less certain. TV and movies I can live with having to stream broadly but music I want to have forever! That’s why I have two backups… 

Oh, I'm with you. I ripped every one of my Blu-Ray's, DVD's & CD's and never looked back. My entire film/TV/music collection is digitized & organized happily on PLEX.

Admittedly, I stream most of my music these days b/c of convenience, but it's all there in lossless if I need it.

13 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That's true. People do have too much unnecessary things that they never use or need. 

I just like the option of getting physical versions of things I cherish. Like my all-time favourite films/tv shows/music etc, (which is a relatively short list). I only buy things of that nature. I don't collect for collect sake.

I imagine there will be no physical movies to buy nor digital copies to buy, only compressed streaming, and only sometimes. Enforced scarcity. (Good luck loading alternate subtitles or whatever). However, if we're lucky, this model may implode and there may be chaos and disarray for a while instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/04/2023 at 8:50 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

That was yesterday

Haha I know. It's back for 1 week. 

Just saw it last night. Even with it being out for 5 months, and it starting at 9 and finishing at midnight, and on a weekday, there was a decent amount of people in there. Crazy.

I'm sure Cameron could just leave it in cinemas for the rest of time and still people would go.

On 23/04/2023 at 8:58 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'll wait for Pandora Day.

That's everyday.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Haha I know. It's back for 1 week. 

Just saw it last night. Even with it being out for 5 months, and it starting at 9 and finishing at midnight, and on a weekday, there was a decent amount of people in there. Crazy.

I'm sure Cameron could just leave it in cinemas for the rest of time and still people would go

It's still playing where I live. It's in 7th place at the box office, doing better than movies like Shazam 2 which were released much much later. The last time I saw a movie do this well for so long was Top Gun Maverick which must have played for over 6 months.

I really hope that they show both Avatar movies in cinemas in the fall of 2024 before the third movie is released in December. Seeing these kinds of epics at home is just not the same thing as seeing them in the cinema, something which I am thinking more and more these days after having seen the LOTR trilogy on the big screen.

3 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I really hope that they show both Avatar movies in cinemas in the fall of 2024 before the third movie is released in December. Seeing these kinds of epics at home is just not the same thing as seeing them in the cinema, something which I am thinking more and more these days after having seen the LOTR trilogy on the big screen.

Definitely. I missed when they re-released the first one before Way of Water came out. So I'd love to see it again in the cinema before the 3rd one. It's been 13 years since I've seen it in all its glory with 3D etc.

I'm going to see Aliens tomorrow night. It's a one-off special showing at my local cinema. It's one of my all-time favourite films, and I've never seen it in the cinema before. It's all booked full as well, so it should be a fun experience with some diehard Aliens fans.

I can't believe that in the last month I've basically only seen Cameron films as a pure coincidence haha. The Way of Water of course (about 700 times) and then Titanic's 25th anniversary re-release, and now a special Aliens screening. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disney has pushed back Avatar 3 from December 2024 all the way to December 2025

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disney-star-wars-delays-marvel-avatar-sequel-release-dates-1235642363/

also:

“Avatar 4” to Dec. 21, 2029 and “Avatar 5” to Dec. 19, 2031. Based on this timeline, the final “Avatar” movie is coming 22 years after the original 2009 blockbuster.

I hope that by 2031 we'll have a technology that allow us to communicate with the afterlife so that James Horner can score the movie from the Heavens (or Hell, I dunno).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Disney has pushed back Avatar 3 from December 2024 all the way to December 2025

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disney-star-wars-delays-marvel-avatar-sequel-release-dates-1235642363/

also:

“Avatar 4” to Dec. 21, 2029 and “Avatar 5” to Dec. 19, 2031. Based on this timeline, the final “Avatar” movie is coming 22 years after the original 2009 blockbuster.

Crikey. I was still in my teens when Avatar came out. I'll be in my early forties by Avatar 5.

Don’t they want people who were alive for Avatar to still be alive for the sequels? Or is that no longer a concern?

It’s generational storytelling that requires you to be alive for whole generations to experience it. I mean, is Richard Linklater secretly directing Avatar?

well,it would be like releasing the fifth and last Indy sequel in 2003 (except it's not written as an anthology at all)

so a better comparison: it would be like releasing the fifth and last Star Wars movie in 1999.

Avatar is making more sense than either of those.

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

Don’t they want people who were alive for Avatar to still be alive for the sequels? Or is that no longer a concern?

It’s generational storytelling that requires you to be alive for whole generations to experience it. I mean, is Richard Linklater secretly directing Avatar?

This will be the first franchise where actors are contractually obligated to die from natural causes on screen. ;)

Karol

As he approaches his 70s, one wonders if Cameron secretly wishes he was directing relatively low-key 105-minute character dramas that are critically acclaimed and which do respectable if unspectacular box-office. lol.   

Does anyone think that maybe Cameron will hand over the last 2 films to another director?

Or is the longer gap between 3 & 4 so Cameron can do something else inbetween, maybe?

23 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

As he approaches his 70s, one wonders if Cameron secretly wishes he was directing relatively low-key 105-minute character dramas that are critically acclaimed and which do respectable if unspectacular box-office. lol.   

He should team up with George Lucas :lol:

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

i don't think so

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Does anyone think that maybe Cameron will hand over the last 2 films to another director?

nah. but now he's more likely to share director duties

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Or is the longer gap between 3 & 4 so Cameron can do something else inbetween, maybe?

I think I’ve said this elsewhere, but I just don’t think that Cameron can complete post-production on 3 whilst also shooting 4&5, which I presume is the plan like with 2&3. 

I’d also be willing to bet that 5 will be pushed to the end or 2032 instead of 2031 - same as the gap between 2&3. 

This was expected tbh. 2 years between each sequel was unrealistic. I'm fine waiting 3 or 4 years between each film. It's what it used to be like anyway.

Alien to Aliens was 7 years.

Terminator to T2 was 7 years.

ANH to Empire to ROTJ was 3 years each.

Also it builds anticipation among general audiences. If it came out next december like planned, people might be like "oh... another one?" Whereas make it many years and they'll be like "oooo another one!"

27 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Cameron will only be 76 for Avatar 5 in 2031. That is younger than many directors still making films now, including Spielberg, Scorsese, Ridley Scott etc.

exactly — how old was George Miller when he made freakin’ MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, arguably the greatest action film of all time? (And isn’t he making a Furiosa prequel to that right now?)

Yavar

On 15/06/2023 at 11:11 AM, leeallen01 said:

Cameron will only be 76 for Avatar 5 in 2031. That is younger than many directors still making films now, including Spielberg, Scorsese, Ridley Scott etc.

And that's a rich person's 76, that's like 55 in our years.

On 15/06/2023 at 5:13 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Absolutely not, the man has spent the last several decades years of his life on this franchise (actively or inactively), this is his dream baby.