Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

29 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

People can dislike what they want, and Avatar of course isn't to everyones taste, but with some actively hoping it will fail and laughing at how much they think no one cares, it sure does feel good as a fan myself, to watch the film become another massive success. 

Still I don't remember any comment in this thread of anyone betting against the success of this movie. As far as I remember, everyone here, the fanboys and those who expected it to be a bad or mediocre movie, all were joined in believing that this movie is going to be a big commercial success, like the first movie before.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Still I don't remember any comment in this thread of anyone betting against the success of this movie. As far as I remember, everyone here, the fanboys and those who expected it to be a bad or mediocre movie, all were joined in believing that this movie is going to be a big commercial success, like the first movie before.

I'm not referring to anyone on here. I haven't seen anyone being unreasonable about avatar on here at all really.

I was referring to the wider internet world. Just some of your average negative chatter that happens with any big release.

I haven't seen it in HFR yet. I've heard the overall opinion is that it's just distracting rather than an improvement. Not sure whether to see it in that myself.

I've seen it in 3D and 2D. The 3D was stunning particularly in the water sequences, but I actually preferred the standard 2D regular movie format. I was able to lose myself more easily in the film, rather than spending a few seconds every few minutes saying "oh wow, look at that! Anyway, back to the film."

10 hours ago, karelm said:

I enjoyed myself but actually think it could have been a bit longer

I agree. I would be fine with a LOTR extended edition style release. 

There is reportedly a version which is 30-50 mins longer so hopefully we get a proper extended cut on the blu ray. 10 mins of action scenes were cut and Franglen mentioned having written more music that was performed on set so I assume that a few additional “song / live on set performance scenes” were filmed as well that weren’t in the theatrical cut.

I remember back in 2009 when I was in a box office forum and it felt the same then as it does now. Just the fever surrounding predictions and daily numbers was fun to follow. I also remember calculating around this time in its run, that Avatar was going to be the highest grossing film of all-time, and no one believed me.

It's cool and strange to be re-living a sort of deja vu moment with the sequels' box office. 

On 30/12/2022 at 4:45 PM, karelm said:

I saw it in Dolby real 3D which includes reclining seats and subwoofers in the seats which gave me a bit of a headache, but the 3D was excellent visually.  It was pricey for me, $21 for a matinee.

Don't feel too bad; we saw it in a shitty "IMAX" theater with the old style, non-lounger seat at $23 a head. (Word to the wise, stay away from the Regal Edwards cinema in Fairfield, CA.) Receiving a proper viewing experience in an updated theater is a major motivation for me to see this one again.

Apparently Cameron hinted at the 3rd film taking a different direction with the Na'vi. He said that he has portrayed them as good and the humans as bad, but he will explore the opposite in the next one, involvong another Na'vi clan nicknamed the Ash clan, who are more fire based. (Definitely getting that Earth, Fire, Water and Air thing going 😉)

It will be interesting if they explore the human desperation to leave the dying earth and settle of Pandora, and they have to make some sort of truce with Jake.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Apparently Cameron hinted at the 3rd film taking a different direction with the Na'vi. He said that he has portrayed them as good and the humans as bad, but he will explore the opposite in the next one, involvong another Na'vi clan nicknamed the Ash clan, who are more fire based. (Definitely getting that Earth, Fire, Water and Air thing going 😉)

It will be interesting if they explore the human desperation to leave the dying earth and settle of Pandora, and they have to make some sort of truce with Jake.

I read this as well and I am intrigued by the whole idea of showing other sides of the na'vi and the humans and that the humans aren't all like the RDA . Jon Landau also said that Earth will appear as a location in one of the later movies!

The fact that all the scripts were finished before they even started filming the second movie is great. The actors read all the scripts and know the entire character arcs before filming 2 and 3 back to back.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Again a poor choice to pick a new Na'vi tribe to explore another facette of their character.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What would you rather do?

Basically, you just need two things to make normal people do bad things. Threaten their life foundation by shorting their basic resources and ideological indoctrination. 

So, in the next movie there could be something like a peaceful human colony on pandora and some of the Na'vi planning to take revenge for what the others had done.

But also motives like jealousy or any kind of conflicting desires and needs could could turn allies into enemies.

Maybe at defending themselves against the humans the Na'vi discovered how good they are at fighting and using that to get what they need, that a part of them wants to use that to conquere new areas, where they don't just get what falls from the trees. Of course first life situation must become difficult. That is the precondition.

Could also be something like a human virus from earth that humans are immune against but the Na'vi are not. Tada!!! there is the conflict. How to live together? No humans, no problems. But humans have no other place to live. Something like a Princess Mononoke scenario.

There3 are many options. But I am not the writer of this. 

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So is the earth uninhabitable in the Avatar universe?

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. At least what I heard about the plot of the second movie.

Maybe they left just Wall-E there to clean up the mess.

In the extended cut of the first film the opening is set on Earth, which looks a bit like 2020 with lots of people walking around outside with masks on.

So uninhabitable no, but dystopic yes.

34 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

In the extended cut of the first film the opening is set on Earth, which looks a bit like 2020 with lots of people walking around outside with masks on.

So uninhabitable no, but dystopic yes.

Yeah, in the extended cut Earth looks a little Blade Runneresque.  Which is more or less the default look for a future Earth in most science fiction movies. 

I guess they decided it's getting too polluted or over-populated. Hopefully we get more on that in future films. It has been 13 years since the first films events (both real world for us and in film time too) 

It takes the ships around 6 years to travel between earth and pandora, so clearly when the Na'vi forced them off pandora, they got back to earth 6 years later and everything was discussed and debriefed, and they loaded up more forces and decided to return with a different plan. Not just to mine pandora for resources, but to relocate and set up a perminant colony of humans.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

It takes the ships around 6 years to travel between earth and pandora

I guess this was revealed in the second film?

52 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So they've got COVID and want to escape lock down.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess this was revealed in the second film?

It's in the opening of the first film. One of the crew helping get the passengers out of cryosleep refers to the time they've been in cryo, which is 5 years and a few months.

Edit- just watched the scene on youtube, Jake says it's 6 years, and the crewman says "you've been in cryo for 5 years, 9 months and 22 days."

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

It's in the opening of the first film. One of the crew helping get the passengers out of cryosleep refers to the time they've been in cryo, which is 5 years and a few months.

So Cameron always planned it would be a bit more than ten years between the two films.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

So Cameron always planned it would be a bit more than ten years between the two films.

Haha if he did that on purpose then he's very dedicated. I guess it is funny how coincidental the times are; 13 years between films, and 12 years for the humans to return.

Should've said - 

"That first Avatar becoming the biggest film of all time was a crazy fluke. I mean it's gonna be pretty impossible for a sequel to repeat that kind of record success 13 years later."

"Actually Sir, it's gonna be super easy, barely an inconvenience."

Imagine being to guy who said to James Cameron, Aliens will be a career ender, T-2 good luck with that, Titanic no one will care about a love story on Titanic, blue people???

I have two things to say about this Cameron guy, Piranha 2.

Top Gun is only $6m ahead of Avatar 2 at the worldwide box office as of Jan 3.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr1928614405/?ref_=bo_ydw_table_1

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr1943818757/?ref_=bo_ydw_table_2

It's funny to notice that the three biggest movies of 2022 were sequels of franchises that started in the 80s, 90s (JWD) and 2000s.

On 30/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, KK said:

It is certainly not getting 3 billion. Haha.

It will definitely beat Top Gun, but I think it's going to be a bit of a slow crawl to $2 billion, though I don't doubt it'll get there.

It will cross 2 Billion next week by Jan q2 or 13 is my bet.

I don't understand where its getting its money from. I looked up Box Office Mojo all the individual international numbers and it does not add up to 1.5 billion. It was about 500 million off. Maybe the individual countries get updated late?

2 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I don't understand where its getting its money from. I looked up Box Office Mojo all the individual international numbers and it does not add up to 1.5 billion. It was about 500 million off. Maybe the individual countries get updated late?

Indeed

Some box office sites still don't have the final numbers for the first Avatar Listed haha  For some reason they don't update the numbers properly. 

The best place to find actual full totals for box office is twitter reporting.

For example, this guy is great on twitter. Regular updates - 

@Luiz_Fernando_J

Box office mojo was reporting Tuesdays number today. There is always a time lag