Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

I'd actually find it really cool if each film had a different composer, to give these sequels a unique flavour.

Avatar just doesn't strike me as a series like Star Wars, needing themes carried over from film to film. I enjoy Horner's score but I also don't think there's anything crucial or iconic (thematically) that simply must be carried over.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm still not sure why he was dropped for the Avengers sequel after all the lavish praise Whedon heaped on him for his first score.

Maybe he didn't want to do it? Plus, it seems Whedon was very fond of Danny Elfman's theme (as he mentions his music several times during commentary track), so it's likely Brian Tyler was a studio's choice.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Maybe he didn't want to do it? Plus, it seems Whedon was very fond of Danny Elfman's theme (as he mentions his music several times during commentary track), so it's likely Brian Tyler was a studio's choice.

Karol

I would bet Tyler was the studio's choice - there were reports that he was the new voice of Marvel after the new logos, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3.

The official story says that post-production and film editing got so frantic in late stages that he couldn't cope. And that the vibe of the entire thing changed and needed other elements.

I also heard a rumour there were some scheduling conflicts with Furious 7.

Karol

Both of their efforts were undone in the mix anyway. I mean, you can't really ever hear the music properly, save for couple of moments. There is much meddling, tracking as well that it feels pointless to have two composers waste their time. What a waste.

Karol

I listened to the Age of Ultron OST yesterday and it was really striking how easily you can tell which tracks are Elfman's and which are Tyler's. There's such a richness in texture, orchestration and musical flare with Elfman's, whereas Tyler's music sounds so harsh and flat, almost mono.

Oh, and iTunes tells you the composer's name in the header, which also helps.

I reckon Tyler's work from 7 or 8 years ago feels much more inventive and satisfying than most of his modern output. Iron Man 3's end credits are kinda neat, I guess.

On 2/3/2016 at 9:09 PM, alextrombone94 said:

James Newton-Howard!

I can dig it.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:45 PM, Romão said:

Getting Goldenthal on board would probably be the only thing that would make me look forward to these movies

Not gonna happen, but I can dig it.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:06 AM, crumbs said:

Avatar just doesn't strike me as a series like Star Wars, needing themes carried over from film to film. I enjoy Horner's score but I also don't think there's anything crucial or iconic (thematically) that simply must be carried over.

I recall exactly two themes from my theater viewing of the movie, the danger motif and the Glory theme.  Not trying to crap on Horner here (a composer I enjoy) just being honest.  So in that regard I agree that a new composer coming in could do something completely different and be in fine shape.

On 03/02/2016 at 10:17 AM, crumbs said:

whereas Tyler's music sounds so harsh and flat, almost mono.

That's because his soundtracks are usually brickwalled to shit. It doesn't even sound like an orchestra.

36 minutes ago, Drax said:

That's because his soundtracks are usually brickwalled to shit. It doesn't even sound like an orchestra.

Yeah, that mastering does him no favours. It gives me a headache.

Hard to believe an actual orchestra was even involved, it's so obtuse.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, that mastering does him no favours. It gives me a headache.

Hard to believe an actual orchestra was even involved, it's so obtuse.

But it happens on pretty much all his soundtrack releases. Does Tyler himself insist on that kind of mastering?

I'd like to think not, because he has a much greater understanding of the craft than his RCP-lite scores indicate.

Tyler's a proven talent with lush orchestral writing, but he's at the risk of shoehorning himself with these endlessly bland Marvel scores.

I can hear a good score somewhere in AVP:R underneath all that loud orchestral shouting. It needs a more careful remaster and an overhaul of the album program - needs to be shorter and rearranged.

It's unfortunate that I find Harald Kloser's AVP score a substantially better listen on album.

I appreciate AVP:R more because Tyler was reasonably slavish to the orchestral texture that Goldenthal, Horner, Goldsmith and Silvestri established. On album the score is obnoxiously loud and undermines his writing, but there was a clear attempt to slot his score into an established series.

Kloser did whatever the fuck he wanted with AVP; there's no connection to either franchise in his score. While it has a few memorable moments, overall it's a pretty pedestrian effort that feels distracting in places. To be fair, even the most talented composer would struggle to give a shit if scoring a Paul W.S. Anderson film.

John Debney deserves much more love for Predators; a little reliant on Silvestri's sheet music but at least it treated the source material with reverence.

But in all previous Alien movies, each composer gave their film its own unique sound, so wasn't Kloser entitled to lend his own voice to the franchise in AVP?

Instead I find the biggest weakness about AVP:R and Predators is their pandering to fanboys with their constant thematic references to previous films. In the context of those movies, it got annoying.

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

except they will advance the technology. We're getting closer to no glasses 3D and when that happens it will become standard.

Also Cameron isn't afraid of using color something many directors no longer do. We're in the cataract age of film-making.

I guess the point is that glass-less 3D is much easier to do on a screen that fits into your entire line of vision, than it is a large screen that multiple people in a room all need to have the same experience on

• 2 months later...

What a dumb idea.  The sequel won't make half as much money as the first one did, and they'll just keep dropping from there.  

I don't mind the idea of a solid Avatar trilogy, but five total movies of this?  It's hard to believe that by the time the next one come out it'll be nearly a decade since the first one came out.  That window isn't as open as it once was.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

What a dumb idea.  The sequel won't make half as much money as the first one did, and they'll just keep dropping from there.  

I can't envision many story ideas that would span two more films, let alone four.