The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Neverthess, given the characters and plot in the book, an accordian should be quite promenient in the score, I reckon.

Depends on how JW approaches the score and what is asked of him. E.g. Angela's Ashes plays but with a subliminal nod to Irish locale and music. But since I do not know the plot of the novel I can't judge whether it would be appropriate to create diegetic accordion music or intergrate the instrument into the underscore.

Right, plus Williams has been attending various concerts and rewards ceremonies as of late. He was in Sturbridge Village last Thursday and will be at Tanglewood this weekend. If only I could use the power of JWFan to get 5 minutes with him, I'd ask him about the score!

Have you ever met the Maestro or seen him in person, Jason?

One of my life long dreams is to see the Maestro perform live, and get a chance to actually meet him.

Have you ever met the Maestro or seen him in person, Jason?

One of my life long dreams is to see the Maestro perform live, and get a chance to actually meet him.

Yes, he has been performing concerts in Boston in late May/ early June of every year for a long time now, and I have gone every year since 2008 (so six times). Three of those times I waited outside afterwards, and one of those times I waited outside before hand - and watched him sign autographs with fans, etc. And one of those times I was lucky enough to have him sign something of mine - a Hook LP. Unfortunately I was only able to stammer out a few words to him.

You can read about the Boston JW concerts here:

2008: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14926

2009: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17213

2010 (the year I got a signature): http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18851

2011: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19944

2012: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21045

2013 (includes many pictures of all of us): http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22593

I wish he would come down to Florida to perform a concert. Maybe the Maestro would perform at the Kravis Center, or the theater center at Fort Lauderdale.

Hopefully, I will be able to take a plan to one of his concerts at the Hollywood Bowl or in Boston.

You went to all those and you only got 1 sig?

I guess I really got lucky in Boston then. And like you, I think I only managed to stammer a few words....

I wish he would come down to Florida to perform a concert. Maybe the Maestro would perform at the Kravis Center, or the theater center at Fort Lauderdale.

Hopefully, I will be able to take a plan to one of his concerts at the Hollywood Bowl or in Boston.

He NEEDS to do London one more time. The Royal Albert Hall will hold 6000 and will fill up if he does a concert there!

I know he did perform in Florida for the VIP opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Right, plus Williams has been attending various concerts and rewards ceremonies as of late. He was in Sturbridge Village last Thursday and will be at Tanglewood this weekend. If only I could use the power of JWFan to get 5 minutes with him, I'd ask him about the score!

If I had a moment with JW, I would never ask him about future projects. Time will give us the answers to those questions--I'm more interested in the stuff that if not answered now may never be. :)

The trailer is listed on Alberta's Film Ratings. I doubt we'll get any preview of the music in the trailer like we'd had in years past.

Hmm it's listed at being released on 8/8? What does that mean?

It will be great to see the trailer. We probably will not get a sneak preview of John Williams's score, but we still will get to see a sneak preview of the film itself.

Actually, silence is part of the music.

Yes.

One example that comes to mind is "Die Hard". It's the climax of the "Bill Clay" sequence. There is about 2 seconds of silence inbetween the doors opening and going "ping", and the blonde guy shooting. It works really well.

Oh, cool! Obviously we won't hear any new music, but at least we'll get a sense of the film.

You never know...he could have recorded a separate piece for the trailer, ala Hook and Harry Potter.

TheBookThiefMovie.com.

The music playing on the website: Can we confirm if it is John Williams? I believe it is, but I need a backup.

I believe it is actually 'Daydreams' by Abel Korzeniowski.

I wonder if they tracked the film with some of that. Would be interesting to hear Williams take on that kind of style...

And also, I imagine that's the track we'll be hearing on the trailer.

I did not think it was John Williams. After listening to it a few more times, I was more skeptical than before.

Still, it is a nice piece of music. Oh, well. Let the wait continue.

A SINGLE MAN is a superb score -- one of the very best that year. I've met Korzeniowski a few times...shy fellow, but very humble and nice.

We don't know if Williams' score will be in that style, but as others have said -- it would be VERY interesting if he did.

Thanks. Looks like a film that's playing it safe, but the most important thing is what Williams can do with it.