The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

https://twitter.com/JKMSlibrary/status/381886324447260672/photo/1

New update from JoAnn Kane Music Service. Nothing really substantial though.

Heh I love how old fashionedly low tech that system is in that photo. Sometimes that's all you need. :lol:

Any chance we can tweak the board permissions to allow embedded tweets?

Should be allowed - just have to check off Allow HTML on your post

I'll be either 85 or 49

A mediocre movie that nobody has anything against gets high scores. That's why most animated films get high RT

What's the RT score for Hugo? I think it'll be around that range.

it was pretty high, 90 or something...hmm 94

For JWFans who want to see The Book Thief before it opens nationwide on November 15, it is hitting the film festival circuit over the next few weeks:

Mill Valley Film Festival: October 3 - info here

Chicago International Film Festival: October 22 - info here

Heartland Film Festival: October 26 - info here

Savannah Film Festival: October 29 - info here

Lone Star Film Festival: 9 - info here

Some of the festivals have been previously mentioned, but I thought it would be helpful to list them all in one post.

Obviously the expedited release schedule for the film wreaked havoc on the CD release schedule.

Hmmmmmmmmm,is there a c.d. release date yet. I'm getting scared

It only shows up on European websites right now as far as I can find (https://www.google.com/#q=0888837970723), but in Europe at least it has a release date of November 11.

Now up on Amazon Germany, Monday November 11th release date

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00FBTYW8G/

And Amazon Japan, Tuesday November 12th release date

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00FBTYW8G/

Sony Classical is the label again.

39 days ladies and gentlemen!

Karol

This score really sneaked up on us, didn't it? Like a thief, a book thief!

I can't wait to hear this one! :)

Markus Zusak posted this on his Facebook page:

Congratulations to everyone involved in filming the The Book Thief. A standing ovation on opening night of the Mill Valley Film Festival says it all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=662237563810135&set=a.252644004769495.68161.201704573196772&type=1

A comment regarding the score from someone who saw an advanced screening from IMDb:

Not to disappoint you, but I don't feel it was his strongest score. Fairly generic. The accordion played by Hans is much more integral to the tone then William's contributions. It may even be that the accordion elements are so strong, they overpower any work the score does. I always pay close attention to film scores - Jon Brion is one of my favorite musicians!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816442/board/thread/220488568

I feel a lot of people will start panicking from this :P - I'm not familiar with Brion's scores though, so I don't know what this guy means by "generic" (this word has become more annoying than "epic")

But still, makes me wonder: Was the accordion stuff composed by Williams too? Maybe that's why he signed so early to the picture, they needed some diegetic music composed before the actual shooting took place.

I doubt the accordion music was composed by Williams, but who knows.

It's possible the film won't have much score, but he will record extended pieces for the album, like Lincoln.

I doubt the accordion music was composed by Williams, but who knows.

It's possible the film won't have much score, but he will record extended pieces for the album, like Lincoln.

Yeah it is very much possible. And we should not jump to conclusions on the score based on that single comment.

I agree, Michael: the use of the word 'generic' may not quite be the most useful term.

Generic is fine I would say...the issue is perhaps more about 'invention' within an established mode (genre). The Star Wars scores are generic (as adventure scores) but work with such invention that they move 'beyond' only what is expected. Not sure if I've explained my line of thought clearly enough. Hmmm...

Ahhh... the unending tangle of enjoyment that is 'trying to talk about music'.

JC

PS: Scorsese movies are generic, for example, as are Spielberg movies...they start at generic and then move 'beyond' that.

Some details about the music:

* 5 day scoring session

* Score was for strings, piano, woodwind octet and for 2 days they added four French horns and two percussionists.

* Not much timpani - mostly motorized marimba parts and vibraphone (patterns based on the strings movement) - played softly under strings.

* Recorded without click. Musicians didn't need to wear headphones since there was no click. This is unusual in that they could hear each other better and balance more musically.

Sounds great!

* 5 day scoring session

* Score was for strings, piano, woodwind octet and for 2 days they added four French horns and two percussionists.

* Not much timpani - mostly motorized marimba parts and vibraphone (patterns based on the strings movement) - played softly under strings.

* Recorded without click. Musicians didn't need to wear headphones since there was no click. This is unusual in that they could hear each other better and balance more musically.

Thanks for this info..!

Of course it's excellent. That's all Williams knows how to write. What's disappointing is that early in his career, there were signs that Williams was capable of more -- or less, as it were. But, sadly, the man never developed a voice for the subpar, settling instead for bland, stultifying brilliance. Any composer not audacious enough to flirt with mediocrity is not a true artist.

* 5 day scoring session

Thank you for the information Karelm. Sounds like it is going to be a quite intimate score. And no click track, which always promises to be good for the performance. :)

And we should not jump to conclusions on the score based on that single comment.

Of course, you wouldn't have said that if the guy had written that the score was awesome.

Of course I am positive about a new Williams score. But in case you didn't notice, I did not jump through the roof after the first positive review that mentioned that Williams score was great. I am waiting for information to come in before starting all out jubilations BB.

so the accordion pieces will get more attention than williams work. great.

Maybe voters will confuse things and Williams will win the Oscar because of the accordion bits . Just like Santaollala won for pieces he didn't compose for the film or other film score win because of the associated songs