The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Also, according to advancesceenings.com there are previews of The Book Thief set for the following dates/locations:

Los Angeles, California (10/22)

Scottsdale, Arizona (10/24)

Bethesda, Maryland (10/24)

Washington, District of Columbia (10/29)

Cambridge, Massachusetts (10/30)

Fairfax, Virginia (10/31)

Boston, Massachusetts (11/6)

Manchester, Connecticut (11/13)

More showings may be added, so keep checking the advance screening website.

Of course there will be a showing in LA the day after I leave here! Bah!

I hope they're fake. 22 tracks means a lot of them are probably pretty short, which can make for a disjointed listening experience (ala Thomas Newman).

Angela's Ashes had 18 tracks and had a length of 57 minutes, and I don't there was anything disjointed about that one (and even the lengthy suite was featured twice). If the Book Thief cd is a 70 minute album, I don't think how can this be a problem in that sense

well post production seems to have been super short on this film

Well the studio expedited the release schedule so that the film could get into the awards this season, which must have resulted in a change in all post production schedules, including the scoring sessions that again affected the soundtrack release schedule and the PR involved.

Sandor's version wasn't far from the final product (again). :)

The cover looks nice!

Less than a month to the release date! :D

Did Conrad Pope work on this?

Of course not, he was far too busy cleaning up Shore's mess with the DoS score, after Peter Jackson fired him.

Either that or JW finally realised he doesn't need an orchestrator.....as everyone says his sketches are so complete.

In fact on some of the cues post 2005 are written on 16 staves....... he's really making the orchestrators job a piece of cake!

Did Conrad Pope work on this?

Of course not, he was far too busy cleaning up Shore's mess with the DoS score, after Peter Jackson fired him.

Either that or JW finally realised he doesn't need an orchestrator.....as everyone says his sketches are so complete.

In fact on some of the cues post 2005 are written on 16 staves....... he's really making the orchestrators job a piece of cake!

Isn't the orchestrator more of a copyist in his case anyway as it has been said by Mr. Pope and others quite a few times.

I have been away on vacation for a week and a half, but finally today contacted Sony about getting samples and a copy of the OST for review. Hopefully they come through!

Blast, my main contact there is on vacation until Monday!

I have emailed her backup, hopefully he comes through :)

If not, I can't imagine it will be long until samples turn up somewhere else. In the past for other scores they have premiered on either Cinema Musica or David Garland's WQXR radio broadcast

http://www.cinemamusica.de/

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/programs/movies/

That's true about his sketches being extremely detailed, especially in recent years. But working with orchestrators still saves valuable time. I'm sure if not for the practical time constraints of the filmmaking process, Williams would orchestrate most or all of his own work, as he apparently does with his concert works.

That's true about his sketches being extremely detailed, especially in recent years. But working with orchestrators still saves valuable time. I'm sure if not for the practical time constraints of the filmmaking process, Williams would orchestrate most or all of his own work, as he apparently does with his concert works.

Indeed!

Though it is only 47 seconds and so you can't make very wide ranging judgements yet, it sounds intimate, delicate and lyrical. I repeat: I can't wait to hear this! :D

Those are the best 47 seconds Williams has ever composed!

BloodBoal turns once again into HyperBoal, the more advanced form of the Messenger!

The snippet is too short to really make a judgement (and it's not exactly a scene that showcases the music), but I like the potential here. I adore Williams' woodwind writing, so here's hoping for more and maybe a defined theme in that mode.