The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Thanks, I'd been wondering about that ever since the track titles were released. Beautiful track. I think the harp solo is one of my favorite passages from the score.

Incanus believes it is only great power that can hold evil labels in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of spitefulness and hate.

Karol

No Karol. Even the smallest indignant person full of sense of entitlement can change the course of the future.

Were you the first JWFan to see it? I wanted to go this weekend but ended up having too much work, so it might not be until after Thanksgiving.

Wow, I'd be surprised if I was. Its been out for like 10 days in the US I think. Anyways, I can provide some context to the score for those who care:

The theme at 0:06 of "One Small Fact" seems to be for Death

The theme from Stepmom is for Liesel's and Max's relationship

The motif around 1:08 of "Learning to Read" seems to be one for books/reading/writing

Williams keeps writing beautifully clear themes that so very precisely communicate the story even without visuals. This is one of his main strengths as a musical storyteller. :)

Were you the first JWFan to see it? I wanted to go this weekend but ended up having too much work, so it might not be until after Thanksgiving.

Wow, I'd be surprised if I was. Its been out for like 10 days in the US I think.

I had been keeping track of the release dates listed on AMC and Regal. One of them listed it as November 8, the other as Nov 15, but it didn't open here until the 22nd, and in only one theater. I see that this Friday it'll be in four, though.

I saw the movie a couple hours ago. It was pretty dull except for the narration, which got a few chuckles from me. The Holocaust, narrated by Santa Claus. Most of the music on the album was in the film and it worked pretty well, not extraordinary but also not as bad as the edits in the clips suggested. The performances were good as expected but the film lacked pacing or any real heart. Overall, I'd give it a 5/10.

I saw the movie a couple hours ago. It was pretty dull except for the narration, which got a few chuckles from me. The Holocaust, narrated by Santa Claus. Most of the music on the album was in the film and it worked pretty well, not extraordinary but also not as bad as the edits in the clips suggested. The performances were good as expected but the film lacked pacing or any real heart. Overall, I'd give it a 5/10.

Mr. Big, could you confirm that the "Finale" from the OST was used

when the bomb killed most of the main characters at the end? It sounds like the cue, but I want to be sure. I thought it was a very interesting use of music.

I have this CD in my hands now :).

Just noticed that somehow SONY decided Lincoln did not deserve their Red label in the Spine... so it doesnt match with WH, TT or BT. NO problem because the williams colecction comes from very dispar labels but... just a thought.

I have this CD in my hands now :).

Just noticed that somehow SONY decided Lincoln did not deserve their Red label in the Spine... so it doesnt match with WH, TT or BT. NO problem because the williams colecction comes from very dispar labels but... just a thought.

Honestly I didn't even pay attention to that detail on the Lincoln album. I guess it would not have comfortably fitted with the art direction of the album spine or something like that.

that red label always confronts the art direction really.... :P

Well very often it does but it looks rather at home in The Adventures of Tintin The Secret of the Unicorn album spine I think.

And in other The Book Thief related news the score has been receiving some very positive reviews:

Film Music Magazine (November Soundtrack Picks)

MoviemusicUK

when the bomb killed most of the main characters at the end? It sounds like the cue, but I want to be sure. I thought it was a very interesting use of music.

.No, "The Vistor at Himmel Street" was used for that scene.

And in other The Book Thief related news the score has been receiving some very positive reviews:

Film Music Magazine (November Soundtrack Picks)

MoviemusicUK

And don't forget the review from The Examiner, linked from the main page since two days ago ;)

'The Book Thief' Soundtrack Reviews

Hi. I caught the film yesterday. I believe "The Visitor at Himmel Street" was used for that scene. I thought it was incredibly effective.

New guy here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhh, thanks! Was "Finale" used for the part where

Death talks about how Liesel died in her 90s?

Hi. I caught the film yesterday. I believe "The Visitor at Himmel Street" was used for that scene. I thought it was incredibly effective.

New guy here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhh, thanks! Was "Finale" used for the part where

Death talks about how Liesel died in her 90s?

Yes.

I don't know if it was mentioned before but I've also noticed a motif for Ilsa and another for Rudy. Ilsa's can be found in 0:04 of Ilsa's Library and 1:41 of Book Burning on the album. I may be reading too much into things but it seems like Ilsa's motif is the opening figure of Death's theme spelled backwards (0:00 - 0:07 of "One Small Fact"). I think it's quite fitting for the character.

Rudy's motif can be found in 0:05 - 0:11 of Rescuing the Book and all of Rudy is Taken (it's greatly expanded here). I think the oboe plays a faint hint of it in the opening few seconds of the Finale track before Max's theme comes in. But I may be hearing things.

I saw the movie a couple hours ago. Most of the music on the album was in the film and it worked pretty well, not extraordinary but also not as bad as the edits in the clips suggested.

Was there any noteworthy unreleased music?

Everything by John Williams becomes an insurmountable masterpiece in time.

I didn't say it's a masterpiece. I said it's a masterful score in the sense that it accomplishes beautifully its duties while at the same time being rewarding on a pure musical sense, like the best film music does.

But what do I know? This is the final proof that it's now unavoidable here, on a JOHN WILLIAMS FAN FORUM, to express a simple statement of mere appreciation for a new score written by John Williams without having someone that treats you just as a blind fanboy. Silly me who I still haven't learn to bite my tongue before writing again a simple appreciation.

It's now unavoidable here, on a JOHN WILLIAMS FAN FORUM, to express a simple statement of mere appreciation for a new score written by John Williams without having someone that treats you just as a blind fanboy. Silly me who I still haven't learn to bite my tongue before writing again a simple appreciation.

Tell me about it!

Oh I remember when it used to be "John Williams or death!" around these parts. Those were the good old days when rule of law and decency still had this message board in its velvety iron grip.

So I love the score, love the book....but I hated the movie. It really seemed like a mess and at times I felt like I wouldn't have really understood things if I hadn't read the book before. That being said I think on the whole Williams' music worked very well in the film, there were only one or two spots where it felt out of place. "Rudy is Taken" was a bit too much, but the scene it was written for seemed designed for this sort of melodramatic writing, so I don't know why it didn't really work for me.

As far as unreleased music I didn't really notice much, we basically have everything. We may even have more than was in the film? I think there may be some music from "Max Lives" that isn't on the album, but I not 100% certain right now. I have to go back and listen.

I wouldn't really say that there is a "main theme" in this score at all, just themes that are representative of ideas. Nothing really over-arching.

I thought the piano solo in

"The Departure of Max" was incredibly effective in the film. Really tragic and beautiful.

I agree, that was a great moment.

Also, in the book I was able to not think about this, but in the film I felt that the relationship between Leisel and Max was a little awkward, or creepy.

The Book Thief score received a Golden Satellite nomination, its first of the awards season

The other nominees are Steven Price for Gravity, Arcade Fire for Her, Alexandre Desplat for Philomena, Theodore Shapiro for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and Hans Zimmer for Twelve Years a Slave.

Why?

According to the "Top Men" of JWFan, it is a bad score or at most mediocre.

Oh let us not be sulky! It is a fine score and we stand behind it! John Williams for the win!

The Book Thief score received a Golden Satellite nomination, its first of the awards season

The other nominees are Steven Price for Gravity, Arcade Fire for Her, Alexandre Desplat for Philomena, Theodore Shapiro for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and Hans Zimmer for Twelve Years a Slave.

Interesting that of all of Zimmer's scores this year, they choose that one. If you go purely by film quality, I hear Rush was rather acclaimed.

Has the Williams 'mandatory nomination' now spread to Zimmer? He seems to be nominated for something every year as well.

Interesting that of all of Zimmer's scores this year, they choose that one. If you go purely by film quality, I hear Rush was rather acclaimed.

Has the Williams 'mandatory nomination' now spread to Zimmer? He seems to be nominated for something every year as well.

Zimmer just produces so many scores a year he is bound to get nominated for something. ;)

Williams earns his out of fear the whole industry feels towards him.

I just come back from seeing the film, and my appreciation of this score has changed

Say what you may about this movie, it does have some overlong and boring moments, BUT the last 10 minutes hit me like a freight train and made me an emotional wreck. One of the saddest movie endings almost to the level of E.T. . The last 3 Williams cue that play in the film are Visitor on Himmel Street, Rudy is Taken and Finale, and let me tell you JW hasn't been this directly effective in long time.

Now Williams has been accused of pushing emotions in the past especially with War Horse. Since I find it hard to get worked up over a horse, I understand why some may say the score felt overdone. But since in this movie it actually does work, I think he might actually have a chance come award time