The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

I just come back from seeing the film, and my appreciation of this score has changed

Say what you may about this movie, it does have some overlong and boring moments, BUT the last 10 minutes hit me like a freight train and made me an emotional wreck. One of the saddest movie endings almost to the level of E.T. . The last 3 Williams cue that play in the film are Visitor on Himmel Street, Rudy is Taken and Finale, and let me tell you JW hasn't been this directly effective in long time.

Now Williams has been accused of pushing emotions in the past especially with War Horse. Since I find it hard to get worked up over a horse, I understand why some may say the score felt overdone. But since in this movie it actually does work, I think he might actually have a chance come award time

I disagree with you about the ending. For me it might be one of the least emotional "emotional endings" I've seen.

Yeah, I figure it could go either way to some people. Seems what I'm reading in the reviews

But in this case the film really affected me, where War Horse didn't. But yet on album it's the opposite and War Horse is better

But in this case the film really affected me, where War Horse didn't. But yet on album it's the opposite and War Horse is better

Well, in all honesty, the two have very little in common. War Horse is the old 40's Hollywood score, The Book Thief is more European in feel.

Karol

Seems like poor Conrad can't say anything without it being written off as what we'd "expect" him to say. ;)

Poor man! I guess it it unfathomable that he has deep respect and love for Maestro Williams' music and he is not just saying such things because he has an association with the composer in someway and is obliged to praise him.

Seems like poor Conrad can't say anything without it being written off as what we'd "expect" him to say. ;)

Poor man! I guess it it unfathomable that he has deep respect and love for Maestro Williams' music and he is not just saying such things because he has an association with the composer in someway and is obliged to praise him.

"Innovative"? That was the part where eyebrows started to twitch uncontrollably.

I just come back from seeing the film, and my appreciation of this score has changed

Say what you may about this movie, it does have some overlong and boring moments, BUT the last 10 minutes hit me like a freight train and made me an emotional wreck. One of the saddest movie endings almost to the level of E.T. . The last 3 Williams cue that play in the film are Visitor on Himmel Street, Rudy is Taken and Finale, and let me tell you JW hasn't been this directly effective in long time.

Now Williams has been accused of pushing emotions in the past especially with War Horse. Since I find it hard to get worked up over a horse, I understand why some may say the score felt overdone. But since in this movie it actually does work, I think he might actually have a chance come award time

I believe in King M.

Not nesessarily going to the cinema to see the film but certainly lovely moments ahead with the Blu-Ray later.

"Innovative"? That was the part where eyebrows started to twitch uncontrollably.

"Innovative" would be one of my first adjectives to describe to this score.

I disagree with you about the ending. For me it might be one of the least emotional "emotional endings" I've seen.

Really ,you didn't feel ANYTHING when

they pull Liesel out of the rubble , her whole family is dead then Rudy dies too (with the sad Williams cues playing on top of that). And Visitor on Himmel Street is actually when you see the bombs dropping, only Williams can come up with cues like this

I saw it last weekend with my girlfriend and her mother!

I thought it was OK. It was certainly an interesting idea for a story - an interesting time and location, and it had characters you cared for. But something about it kept it from being great. It almost felt like it was trying very, very hard to be Steven Spielberg-y. Like it didn't have it's own identity.

The child actors were all really great, though! And of course Geoffrey Rush is always wonderful.

I've only listened to the score CD twice so couldn't possibly make any comment on released or unreleased music in the film, but there was for sure nothing that stood out to me as anything major I hadn't heard before. A lot of the film is unscored, I wonder if some of the tracks on the OST actually are stuff written just for the CD... who knows.

I had lost my investment with the characters by then I guess. I mean it was sad, but it's not anything I've been thinking about since.

What REALLY annoyed me about the film was the AWFUL PRODUCT PLACEMENT In the final scene. I couldn't believe the camera lingered on the APPLE COMPUTER like that! WTF?

To be honest I did not notice it all that much. Which is typical for me - the first time I see a movie, I am taking it all in, especially the story and characters. I am not sitting there with one ear on the score, trying to notice released vs unreleased music, or even which theme is playing for what reason. I do that on subsequent viewings when I already know the film.

So all that said, I thought the score was spotted fine - it's definitely not a film with a wall to wall score, which was the right choice - and I don't think Williams ever overscored or underscored a scene, from what I can remember. I remember the music from the beginning more - I really liked what Williams did with some of the aerial shots in the beginning, with the camera moving through clouds and stuff.

That's about all I have to offer.....

Well I have to wait for a month or more to see the film as it opens here mid-January. I'll post some commentary then. By that time I can guarantee I'll have the album memorized by heart. ;)

if there's unreleased music can only be some 30 second segments here and there. I recall a short "foot race" type of cue that didn't sound like the album

Well I have to wait for a month or more to see the film as it opens here mid-January. I'll post some commentary then. By that time I can guarantee I'll have the album memorized by heart. ;)

You had a whole month already! Lazy bastard!

Karol

You had a whole month already! Lazy bastard!

Karol

I will have it memorized more by heart then!

I finally saw the film last night, and liked it a good deal better than I expected. Excellent acting by everyone, and with the right amount of nuance and understatement, with Max being the only character that brought some of the heavy-handedness I had expected from the whole movie. There were quite a few gorgeous shots in the film, especially in the opening and some of the shots of the village. I thought the score worked extremely well in the film, and got plenty of breathing room in a mix that was often comprised only of dialogue and faint, ambient sound effects. The film managed to feel stark, yet found a sense of warmth that pervaded every scene, and Williams captured this feel perfectly. He was canny regarding when the score needed to call a little attention to itself, and when it needed to work on a more subconscious level. I'm excited to listen to the CD again now with the context of the music in mind.

There were a few little moments took me out of the film, like the scene that intercut Rudy running on a track with TV footage of a real track race. Then, like Jason pointed out, there was the really jarring product placement at the end. They also threw in a line that I'm tired of hearing in movies: "...because that's what people do." The lamest reason for doing anything, and such a huge cliche it took me out of the movie.

The whole thing also didn't quite have the right flow to it, with some of the plot threads receiving little to no resolution or impact on the story as a whole.

For instance, Rush's character goes off to war, then quickly comes home again, without any of the characters being affected apart from briefly missing him while he's gone. Also, as much as I liked Death as the narrator, the concept of death was simply not integral to the story. All the deaths in the film occurred en masse at the end, where the impact was barely felt, as we didn't spend much time with the remaining characters afterward, and quickly proceeded instead to the happy epilogue.

Still, ultimately, I ended up being glad I saw the Book Thief, after having expected to only enjoy the score.

Yea, it's always nice seeing a Williams scored movie on the big screen!

I still regret not seeing Geisha in the theater, as it's the only Williams scored move from The Patriot onward I didn't see on the big screen :-(

It was great hearing the opening notes of the Book Thief score in the theater before anything else came onscreen!

Too bad you missed Geisha, although it wasn't a movie that resonated with me anyway. I've barely thought about it since, apart from the music. But I know how it feels, being a completist ;) I went to see all of the Williams-scored films after The Patriot. Haven't seen that one. It helps that they've mostly been Star Wars, HP, or Spielberg films, meaning I wanted to see them all anyway.

Too bad, because his music got the best mix in recent memory. John Williams takes over the film.

Karol - talking about Geisha.

Yes and the score works wonders for the whole atmosphere and feel of the film. It gets to complement and play off some gorgeous visuals as well.

What REALLY annoyed me about the film was the AWFUL PRODUCT PLACEMENT In the final scene. I couldn't believe the camera lingered on the APPLE COMPUTER like that! WTF?

Would you have found it so annoying if they had shown a GOOGLE product instead? ;)

I'm sure they needed the product placement money from Apple to make the movie happen, but someone should have thought about the artistic integrity of including a modern tech company's logo in a Holocaust film.

I liked the Apple computer. The rest of the movie feels like it's happening in another world, so it's interesting to see something so ordinary in the end. Makes you much more cognisant of time, history, etc.

I haven't seen the film but Apple products are everywhere. What would be the difference if the laptop had the logo or not? There's a scene in To The Wonder where Kurylenko's character is video chatting with her daughter on a MacBook Pro. Is that an issue too?

Here's a new LA Times article on film scoring: Composers help tell the story and set the scene
John Williams ('The Book Thief'), Steven Price ('Gravity'), Hans Zimmer ('12 Years a Slave') and Thomas Newman ('Saving Mr. Banks') discuss their work.

It's labeled Oscars 2014, so it seems they are anticipating JW receiving another nomination.

I haven't seen the film but Apple products are everywhere. What would be the difference if the laptop had the logo or not? There's a scene in To The Wonder where Kurylenko's character is video chatting with her daughter on a MacBook Pro. Is that an issue too?

Koray. This is a Holocaust film set in the 1940s. Are you even being serious right now?