The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Steef won't be able to watch this because he can't stomach criminal acts committed for the greater good in the form of frivolous entertainment. Thievery is despicable and that girl deserved to burn with the books.

What the fuck are you talking about?

OK we have THE CD cover right there. Awesome Sandor!

I'm so indefinitely glad Williams does a movie not involving Spielberg or Lucas. He always produced fantastic music with other directors.

Are you implying that he didn't produce good music with Spielberg and Lucas or just saying that he has always done good work with directors he has worked with during his career?

I'm saying neither. I'm saying that work with other directors almost always resulted in something more unique than the usual Spielberg/Lucas scores. You can't say War Horse or Tintin or Lincoln or Indy 4 were terribly unique.

Now we know there's going to be lots of solo piano!

post-20140-0-37843100-1379264741.jpg

Anyone know what's up with the weird cue numbering? 0MA, 0MB, etc.

Are you sure that's a 0? Personally, I can't quite make it out.

Exciting, though! He seems to really enjoy writing for piano lately.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Williams had first talks with JJ Abrams about Star Wars VII and is now spreading word of fake assignments to get out of it.

But seriously, I think the "0" implies concert suites or something of that kind.

Judging from the apparent large role of the piano, this should be a nice change of pace from his previous large scale efforts. I really hope it's better than Sabrina though because that's probably my least favorite John WIlliams's score from the digital age.

Well, Sabrina is very jazzy in nature. I don't think he's gonna take that approach here. Something more in the lines of the recent Lincoln work I imagine, but more European.

But I love Sabrina, so what do I know.

post-20140-0-37843100-1379264741.jpg

Are you sure that's a 0? Personally, I can't quite make it out.

Exciting, though! He seems to really enjoy writing for piano lately.

It's more legible in the original image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUOASR0CMAApXeG.jpg:orig

Six concert suites seems like a lot, but he did do like ten or something for the sorcerers stone I guess.

Maybe the solo piano pieces are being recorded seperate from the rest, hence the 0's.

Six concert suites seems like a lot, but he did do like ten or something for the sorcerers stone I guess.

Maybe the solo piano pieces are being recorded seperate from the rest, hence the 0's.

I thought that too but there's a Violin I part for 0ME, and its definetely for a section because it says desk 3. I guess only time will tell what these are.

My dislike of Sabrina is more of a personal taste thing. I really hope The Book Thief is more like Angela's Ashes than Lincoln.

Didn't we hear Williams say that appalachian music would be perfect for a movie set in Nazi Germany.

Well we should hope so if the premiere is on the 3rd of October. :P

Excellent news! I wonder when there will be news of the CD release.

Judging from the apparent large role of the piano, this should be a nice change of pace from his previous large scale efforts. I really hope it's better than Sabrina though because that's probably my least favorite John WIlliams's score from the digital age.

What, Lincoln and War Horse didn't have enough nice piano for your taste?

What, Lincoln and War Horse didn't have enough nice piano for your taste?

Having a piano in the central role, not just as a solo instrument here and there as in those two scores, would be wonderful. Ala Angela's Ashes or Accidental Tourist. :)

Wow, Williams sure does a lot of things behind our backs

Wow, Williams sure does a lot of things behind our backs

That villain! How dare he?!!! You turn your head for one second and he has gone and written a new score and recorded it! How rude!

It is funny how we've learned about both his initial involvement and now the scoring sessions long after the fact, as opposed to all these huge projects he's been attached to over the last decade where every last detail is heavily scrutinized. I think we know more about Star Wars VII than The Book Thief!

Permit me to indulge a happy memory here: the current 'surprising' (and very pleasing) news about JW writing the music for The Book Thief movie adaptation takes me back (with a wry smile) to pre-internet days when you'd walk into a record shop ('A what ?' I hear some you perhaps ask) and you'd suddenly discover a John Williams soundtrack you had no idea about because there wasn't the volume or speed of information dissemination in the fabric of daily life as there is now.

I remember discovering the soundtracks for Presumed Innocent and Stanley & Iris in the late summer of 1990 when I came across them in HMV on Oxford Street in London. This was hugely exciting as they were both new albums and had just seemed to 'arrive' in a rather magical way in shops. I had no idea that JW had composed them and there would certainly never typically be any advance news about such projects. To some degree that kind of surprise was true of movies, too. The first time you'd see a movie poster used to be when you saw it just a few days before a given film's release when it was printed in a newspaper or put up in its frame outside the local cinema. I guess it's fair to say that the wave of pre-release hype and promotion which the internet can now furnish has perhaps taken away, or at least lessened, certain kinds of discovery. (I appreciate that one can choose to not go online and read / listen / view pre-release material, of course).

JC

Yeah, it's also strange that we've never heard the man reference this score.

Well isn't it nice to be able to be surprised once in a while in the internet era? :)

Well perhaps the sessions are underway as we speak although it feels a bit late, 2 weeks before the premiere.

Remember that the film's release was pushed forward, it was supposed to come after December I believe. Maybe the sessions original dates for the original release maintained despite the change.

Yes the Vienna Philharmonics are outstanding and so are the Hollywood brass players... wait a minute! Oh, you are suggesting something else entirely! :o

Blasphemy! Outrage! Preposterous! Not even in jest Karol! Not even in jest! :stick:

I have no doubt that there will be a CD coming out soon-ish.

It'll probably have sold out by the time we hear about it.

Yeah under the counter operation this one. In every department.