The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

The transformation has been remarkable. As late as the mid-nineties, Williams' approach was still very much in the Hollywood mainstream. Now Williams is no more than a niche composer.

We do go through pendulum swings with this sort of thing, but I have a feeling the old-school symphonic style will be in vogue again about the same time short shorts return to the NBA.

Remarkable indeed. Let's hope you are right. It all depends on the musical talent in Hollywood, but more even on the choices modern directors make. I hope Hollywood sooner or later realizes that movies benefit from a timeless symphonic score.

The movie will be released in less than four weeks and we still haven't heard a single note of John's score. I bet a new trailer with Williams music will be out this week, followed by the first exclusive samples provided by Sony Classical...

The movie will be released in less than four weeks and we still haven't heard a single note of John's score. I bet a new trailer with Williams music will be out this week, followed by the first exclusive samples provided by Sony Classical...

Let's certainly hope so. :)

The soundtrack is now available for pre-order at Amazon.UK and Amazon Germany. Though at this point the UK release date is 11th of November and for Germany 22nd.

Japan too:

Now up on Amazon Germany, Monday November 11th release date

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00FBTYW8G/

And Amazon Japan, Tuesday November 12th release date

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00FBTYW8G/

Sony Classical is the label again.

Apparently the German release date has changed to 22nd of November since you reported the news Jason. But I guess it might be still in flux as it is wont at Amazon before they get their final info.

"The Book Thief" is still not listed on Amazon.com, but I found a listing on Amazon.ca (Canada) that has a release date of November 19.

Sony Classical is really terrible at announcing release dates and generating hype for such a prolific release.

Perhaps moving of the film production forward earlier than was planned put a spanner in the works for the album production schedule marketing wise.

spanner

Couldn't you use the English translation?

What are talking about Faleel? "Put a spanner in the works" is an English idiom meaning to do something that prevents a plan or activity from succeeding. You have been acting weird lately. Are you practicing some kind of new Faleel brand of humour perhaps?

Read the edit.

Over here in America it is called a wrench.

And this should affect the way I use English because? Is there some lewd dimension to the word "spanner" that I am not aware of or why was it objectionable to you? And why the heck are we even discussing this in a thread about the upcoming score by John Williams? :P

Bring me up to speed, is this yet another Nazi movie?

Are there Nazis in it? Yes. Are Nazis bad guys in the story? Yes. Is it "yet another Nazi movie?" No; it is about a girl and foster parents and books--unless any movie that takes a negative stance on the Nazi's is your criterion for "yet another Nazi movie."

Now that is the name of the next awfully bad comedy in the spirit of Meet the Spartans and those Scary Movies: Yet Another Nazi Movie.

I can't wait for the upcoming track list info, the sound clips and a new trailer mentioned in the JWFan main page news!

I don't know if this review of the film has been mentioned (edit: nevermind. It has):

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/the-book-thief-review-1200694271/

[...] and an excellent score by John Williams that reps his first feature work for a director other than Steven Spielberg in years

Are there Nazis in it? Yes. Are Nazis bad guys in the story? Yes. Is it "yet another Nazi movie?" No; it is about a girl and foster parents and books--unless any movie that takes a negative stance on the Nazi's is your criterion for "yet another Nazi movie."

My point is that you can only make so many movies in the environment until it becomes tedious.

Yeah, 4 Movies in middle-earth is enough I say.

I think he meant Nazi Germany, not Nazi Middle Earth. That's still an untouched novelty.

My point is that you can only make so many movies in the environment until it becomes tedious.

My problem with your "question" is this: you clearly know it is a movie set in Nazi Germany. Are you really asking a question about the movie's plot or are you simply expressing your tiredness of the genre in question form?

Both.

Of course I know it's a movie set in Nazi Germany, but there is a difference between telling a story that is set in Nazi Germany, and telling a story about Nazi Germany, with the overdone message "dictators are bad".

And yes, I'm indeed tired of Nazi movies in general. There is simply nothing more to tell in movie form that could be worthwhile.

In that case, I will go back to my original post. It is not yet another Nazi movie; it is about a girl and her foster parents and how a love of learning shapes her childhood.

Yeah! My birthday! What could be more appropriate? ;)

And yes, I'm indeed tired of Nazi movies in general. There is simply nothing more to tell in movie form that could be worthwhile.

What about Nazis Vs Zombies?

What about Nazis Vs Zombies?

And where do the aliens come in?

Nazis vs Zombies vs Predators