The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Right, I was just mentioning how this one interview doesn't make him seem more enthusiastic than Williams' other projects, which was what I thought Incanus was suggesting.

And the reason I don't think this is like Memoirs of a Geisha is because the topic/concept doesn't seem nearly as interesting as MoaG, which could have seem like an incredibly great route to take for a composer like Williams.

And as SF1_freeze, he could have just had a tiring day.

I'm not trying to say anything against the score guys, I think it'll turn out great!

I know KK, just had brutally demonstrate my masculinity and superiority by which I tend express my inner insecurities and deeply buried anxieties. ;)

Karol

I haven't followed this thread really but just saw the interview with Williams. I was very pleased to see track samples on amazon, it sounds pretty darn good so far :) . What are the general reactions from JWFanners?

Why not go back and read our thoughts that were posted?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=947725

It wasn't hard to find, I just typed in "samples" into the search box at the top of the screen and scrolled down till I saw the post where Inky posted em :)

Right, but in this case, you leave the "This Topic" selection on, and just use the box on the screen, rather than clicking the gear for the "Advanced Search". The Advanced Search, BTW, works best when you use "Titles only" in the dropdown box

Right, but in this case, you leave the "This Topic" selection on, and just use the box on the screen, rather than clicking the gear for the "Advanced Search". The Advanced Search, BTW, works best when you use "Titles only" in the dropdown box

This is like Tiger trying to explain his golf swing. C'mon, Jason, just admit you have a technological savvy that is well-nigh ineffable.

The way this is just 'another' William's score to some people astonishes me. If most other composers just one score nearly as good is this there would be a huge buzz for it and how amazing the composer is. This less well known William's score is tonnes better than most of the other stuff we get.

Williams' record of excellence begets higher expectations than those we might dare afford other composers. Sometimes those expectations, in turn, can give rise to disappointment.

I just finished the book and absolutely loved it. Disconcerting that it was written by a fellow Australian ten years my junior. People younger than me shouldn't write books.

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, the track titles are not in chronological order. That doesn't bother me in the slightest... just pointing it out.

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, the track titles are not in chronological order. That doesn't bother me in the slightest... just pointing it out.

I think it's disgusting.

I think it's disgusting.

Yet strangely arousing.

Whew. Glad I'm not the only one.

Samples are charming. I was intrigued by this when I saw that John was doing a non-Spielberg picture and then it fell off my radar. Time to read the whole thread.

Prepare for a thread full of excitement, high adventure and emotional rollercoastering with a pinch of humour thrown into the mix!

Prepare for a thread full of excitement, high adventure and emotional rollercoastering with a pinch of humour thrown into the mix!

That's the optimistic way of putting it ;)

That's the optimistic way of putting it ;)

Well despite putting on a pessimist face once in a while, I am an optimist at heart KK. ;)

It's a good thing we have BloodBoal's whining and moaning to balance you out, otherwise this place would be filled with magical rainbows and CG birds from PJ's wildest fantasy land!

I kid of course and mean not to insult anyone.

I only accept the rose hued colour scheme of my JW glasses in this part of the forum.

Uncool, bro. :mellow: I consider my own efforts in film music discussion to be serious, and I encourage other members to take the forum seriously.

Uncool, bro. :mellow: I consider my own efforts in film music discussion to be serious, and I encourage other members to take the forum seriously.

I fully understand that and respect your efforts to cultivate a serious and thoroughly sophisticated discussion on film music on this MB. I am sorry if I caused offense and try to correct my wayward ways in the future. Peace bro.

I can't wait for the moment when we all give this score 5 stars! Oh how I love healthy debate. ;)

Karol

When that happens hell will probably freeze over and moon will turn blue from cold.

I just now saw that the release is bumped to November 8th. Damn, here I was hoping it would stick to November 19th, since it would then be Williams' birthday present to me! :)

I read a couple of reviews of this and they were all talking about stupid things like the acting and the story and the script! And I was like, chuck all that, and that's all well and good but HOW WAS JOHN WILLIAMS' SCORE????

That is the extent of my interest in this film.

I read a couple of reviews of this and they were all talking about stupid things like the acting and the story and the script! And I was like, chuck all that, and that's all well and good but HOW WAS JOHN WILLIAMS' SCORE????

That is the extent of my interest in this film.

Williams' score has been getting quite a few compliments and on the other hand reviewers have wondered how inobtrusive and unnoticeable it is.

Maybe it was just completely dropped from the film then? :P

Karol

Nah. The reviewers and critics are just so hard to please. When you write a subtle score it is bad and when you write a big score it is bad. There is no winning them to John Williams' side.

Oh I think Williams score will surely get an Oscar nomination. I would bet money on it.

The trouble is, while nominating, only the composers vote. While deciding the winners, the entire membership votes. Which is why Williams has so few wins. The composers know he's great, the general membership, not so much.