The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

It was easier to present film edits and they didn't have to go all the trouble of actually re-conceptualizing a decent complete score release. The smell of easy money was overwhelming to Sony I guess. So basically someone got excited at Sony at the prospect of getting a release out, didn't do any research or think things through but just proceeded to slap music onto a CD without much thought and then they were angered and baffled that public didn't like their half-hearted attempt and after refused to try again and improve on their product.

It was better than nothing I guess. Any set that provides tracks like Anakin is Free and The Tide Turns has some merit.

Yes indeed but I do sometimes wonder at the work ethic or professional pride of these people and how it all flies out of the window to make money. Of course sometimes it is just bad luck and having to make compromises and doing a lot of complicated deals with multiple parties to have the music released in the first place and not always in the form you might have initially envisaged for it. But there is a world of difference between a small specialty label and one of these mega giants of the industry.

Oh and back to the topic. I also voted for Johnny in ColonneSonore's awards. To me Williams' The Book Thief is geuinely still some of the most hauntingly beautiful and touching music written in this day and age of Hollywood.

It was better than nothing I guess. Any set that provides tracks like Anakin is Free and The Tide Turns has some merit.

Yes indeed but I do sometimes wonder at the work ethic or professional pride of these people and how it all flies out of the window to make money. Of course sometimes it is just bad luck and having to make compromises and doing a lot of complicated deals with multiple parties to have the music released in the first place and not always in the form you might have initially envisaged for it. But there is a world of difference between a small specialty label and one of these mega giants of the industry.

Oh and back to the topic. I also voted for Johnny in ColonneSonore's awards. To me Williams' The Book Thief is geuinely still some of the most hauntingly beautiful and touching music written in this day and age of Hollywood.

There's a difference between ignorance and greed. If you tell someone who isn't into film scores that you want a complete release of all the music in the film, the isolated score they release fits that bill. Then when you insult and criticize that lack of understanding they reply with a "Fuck off." No release for you!

There's a difference between ignorance and greed. If you tell someone who isn't into film scores that you want a complete release of all the music in the film, the isolated score they release fits that bill. Then when you insult and criticize that lack of understanding they reply with a "Fuck off." No release for you!

Oh absolutely there is a difference but Ultimate Edition to me at least seems to be more motivated by greed and chance to earn an easy buck than love of the music. But who actually knows. Perhaps it was a much more difficult and complex situation than that.

I am all for pointing out faults and giving feedback if something isn't succesful or well done in your opinion when products are concerned, soundtrack releases included. You don't necessarily have to do it in a internet troll type of tirade which only will upset and anger the recipient party. Diplomacy earns better results.

And it is a shame ignorant people make these release decisions and furthermore are helped down the line by staff of equally ignorant people. Undoubtedly SW soundtrack release is a mass market product aimed at millions of prospective buyers and not just niche collectors but you don't have to treat the people like ignorant rubes and offer subpar products. And wouldn't you rather do a good job you can be proud of instead of shoddy work slapped together without proper research into the thing you are producing?

Incanus, you are definitely on point. There was never any supervision by someone who had in-depth knowledge of the music or the Maestro. In fact, the Ultimate Edition does not even provide a quality or accurate listening experience. Then again, John Williams was not involved with this presentation of his music, so that is part of why the finished product is, well, not very good.

Well hopefully it will all be rectified next year, I'm hoping the release of a new Star Wars movie will cause Lucasfilm to want to put out new 2CD sets of all 6 previous films

Well hopefully it will all be rectified next year, I'm hoping the release of a new Star Wars movie will cause Lucasfilm to want to put out new 2CD sets of all 6 previous films

It would be a perfect excuse to revisit all 6 scores and do a completely new release for all this music!

A few years ago, Lukas Kendall spoke in a quite candid manner what happened more or less with the Episode I UE:

that 2CD Phantom Menace was something of a fiasco...Lucasfilm only did it because the tracks had gotten out there somehow (I forget how) and thought they were giving the collectors what they wanted by using the edited stems as conformed to the movie (with a million edits). They were quite taken aback by all the negative cricitism -- "what's the problem, it's exactly every note as heard in the film?" I remember explaining to one of the executives the subtleties involved and by the time I finished the attitude I heard was along the lines of "to hell with these people."

As much as LFL controls the rights and ownership over the music, any marketing/licensing decision related to Star Wars is now in the hands of the Walt Disney Company. I'm confident though that there will be new music releases in some form down the line.

A few years ago, Lukas Kendall spoke in a quite candid manner what happened more or less with the Episode I UE:

that 2CD Phantom Menace was something of a fiasco...Lucasfilm only did it because the tracks had gotten out there somehow (I forget how) and thought they were giving the collectors what they wanted by using the edited stems as conformed to the movie (with a million edits). They were quite taken aback by all the negative cricitism -- "what's the problem, it's exactly every note as heard in the film?" I remember explaining to one of the executives the subtleties involved and by the time I finished the attitude I heard was along the lines of "to hell with these people."

Funny how their "crisis management" blew so badly in their faces and when they had done a bad job and gotten a lot of negative feedback they decided film music fans were too much of a bother and weirdos. Ah the wonderful executive attitudes. :lol:

And let's be honest, we are a very OCD and finicky bunch of people who are very very hard to please. ;)

It is not that (in most people), it is just the principle of having the music as composed and conducted by the Maestro released in a definitive package. In the case of Star Wars (and much of John Williams's music in other projects), it is very important.

Funny how their "crisis management" blew so badly in their faces and when they had done a bad job and gotten a lot of negative feedback they decided film music fans were too much of a bother and weirdos. Ah the wonderful executive attitudes. :lol:

And let's be honest, we are a very OCD and finicky bunch of people who are very very hard to please. ;)

Seems to me that they thought releasing the music stem was a very cheap way of making some more money from SW/JW fans.

Then they find out it's not as simple as that, and that some 'album producing' is needed. A short-sighted executive would easily be miffed by this :)

I'd certainly consider a 2-CD intended release for RotS.

On the contrary when i saw 12 years a slave, it left me totally cold, and i think it was because the mediocre score, and the music was badly spotted (too many unremarkable or unscored moments)

Oh Yes!!

My male pride ( ;)) only let me be misty eyed and throat sore at key moments

I always cry like a baby, can't help it. That's why I prefer to go there alone.

Well, I'm hoping for a release of the Original unaltered trilogy in Bluray first!

I dunno if that will happen before Fox loses their distribution rights to Star Wars

Fox has distribution rights to the original 1977 Star Wars in perpetuity in all media worldwide.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

IMO, a release of the "unaltered" original trilogy is more unlikely than ever.

• "Grazie per aver votato!"

One vote more for the Gravity.

Just kidding, my vote was and always will be, Priceless.

Thanks!

A reminder to all fellows here: voting will be closed this Sunday, so vote now if you want to see your favorite composers win! :)

http://www.colonnesonore.net/sondaggi/

http://www.colonnesonore.net/news/comunicati-stampa/2938-colonnesonorenet-awards-2013-edition.html

A reminder to all fellows here: voting will be closed this Sunday, so vote now if you want to see your favorite composers win! :)

Thanks, Maurizio! Guess who received my vote? :D

Also, congratulations to John Williams on the Saturn Awards nomination for The Book Thief!

Best Music:

Danny Elfman – “Oz The Great and Powerful”

Frank Ilfman – “Big Bad Wolves”

Howard Shore – “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”

Brian Tyler – “Iron Man 3″

Brian Tyler – “Now You See Me”

John Williams – “The Book Thief”

The Book Thief also received nominations in the following categories:

Best Action/Adventure Film:

“The Book Thief”

“Fast & Furious 6″

“Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit”

“The Lone Ranger”

“Lone Survivor”

“Rush”

Best Supporting Actress:

Scarlett Johansson – “Her”

Nicole Kidman – “Stoker”

Melissa Leo – “Prisoners

Evangeline Lily – “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”

Jena Malone – “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”

Emily Watson – ‘The Book Thief”

Best Performance by a Younger Actor:

Asa Butterfield – “Ender’s Game”

Chloe Grace Moretz – “Carrie”

Sophie Nelisse – “The Book Thief”

Saoirse Ronan – “How I Live Now”

Ty Simpkins – “Iron Man 3″

Dylan Sprayberry – “Man of Steel”

source

Lol, Book Thief is action/adventure?

It has very slight fantasy elements like Death doing the narration but it isn't exactly action/adventure. But Williams gets nominations in most unusual awards and categories. :P

Here's a little article I found online which's called When Will Williams Win a Sixth?

It presents nothing exactly new to us, but it does contain two nice pictures: One from the Book Thief sessions and the other from the backstage when Johnny won the Golden Globe for Geisha.

It also has a downloadable sheet music from The Book Thief. The cue itself is "One Small Fact".

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2014/2/25/5-days-til-oscar-when-will-john-williams-win-a-sixth.html

Thanks, Maurizio! Guess who received my vote? :D

Thank you for your vote, Mari! Hope many other JWfans will follow you ;)

Does anyone have the chronological order of the OST? Max Lives seems to be out of place for scene that should have score at that point of the movie...

I must say I've listened to this album a lot more than I initially thought

In the end I like the main theme better than Angela's Ashes even if they are similar

In the end I like the main theme better than Angela's Ashes even if they are similar

Quite the opposite - it just feels like a ripped-off theme to me.

Quite the opposite - it just feels like a ripped-off theme to me.

It's not ripping off if it's the same composer.

Shall we say it feels like a "Hornered"-off theme then? ;)

I prefer the original Angela's Ashes theme. The Book Thief's theme is nice, but something about its structure feels just a wee bit mechanical....I don't know, I could be grasping at straws here. But I still like it though.

I was kidding, that's all. Since the term "ripped off" was used in reference to something previously existing in the said composer's oeuvre, I just likened the situation to our favourite "recycler". It wasn't a serious allegation.

Even if the first theme is similar to others I cannot think of a real similarity of the second Visitor theme to any previous Williams work. Moreover, that theme is simply stunning, particularly in the concert version. It truly is achingly beautiful.

Yeah, it is more formidable than meets the eye. The autumnal contemplative Williams is something that one starts to appreciate more over time.

Karol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got this, ordered it on March. Fast delivery amazon, thanks. But I got 0.01 pound refund for the delay. Great.

Good thing is that I've upgraded to 60" Plasma lately so the film looked awesome. And sounded too, one of the few films, you have to cry during the opening menu. The music is just stunning.

I think the film will be a classic, the time now is not ready for the films like this.

It is the most beautifully scored film in 30 years and it instantly got the position in my top 10 JW score list.

Didn't get much love in this site but that is not a surprise since this forum is a joke.

Learning to play "The Visitor" (the theme that starts the OST) on piano has really helped me to appreciate the score more. It's just so expertly crafted.

I still haven't seen the whole film though. I read the book a few months ago and caught half the movie a few weeks ago on a flight back from the US before falling asleep (not because of the movie).

Last 15 minutes of The Book Thief really did a number on me emotionally .Took me a few hours to recover

This happens very rarely to me. Only a few Video game cut scenes have had the same impact in recent years