The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

He obviously used SparkNotes.com

John Williams? Using a computer? Using internet? Really indy4? REALLY?!!!!

Can JW even read? We know he doesnt use computers, or the Interweb.

He is a fairly good sight reader. That's what got him his first gig at the studios.

I wonder if Williams just writes themes for books he reads and likes. We know he writes some number of minutes of music a day every day, maybe if he's not working on a concerto he just writes whatever inspires him. So when one gets turned into a movie he's kinda halfway there

I wonder if Williams just writes themes for books he reads and likes. We know he writes some number of minutes of music a day every day, maybe if he's not working on a concerto he just writes whatever inspires him. So when one gets turned into a movie he's kinda halfway there

Inspiration and its source are a very difficult things to define. I think Williams is a more abstract kind of man in that he might read novels but I somehow don't think he makes a conscious effort to write music based on them even though they might inspire him. He did hear cello as the musical voice for Sayuri when he read Memoirs of a Geisha but I don't know if he went much beyond that after reading the work, not going as far as writing musical material out of it. But who can tell. Perhaps his drawers are full of themes and musical ideas for hundreds of novels and collections of poetry he has read.

One of my dream projects for Williams is to score a book. Have it be a similar approach to his film scores, but without having to please a director, follow temp tracks, or sync with visuals.

One of my dream projects for Williams is to score a book. Have it be a similar approach to his film scores, but without having to please a director, follow temp tracks, or sync with visuals.

Both Memoirs of a Geisha Cello Suite and Angela's Ashes suite for narrator and orchestra are probably the closest thing to that.

Both Memoirs of a Geisha Cello Suite and Angela's Ashes suite for narrator and orchestra are probably the closest thing to that.

True. You could add Suite from Reivers to that group as well, which not only uses the music from the film but contains entirely new compositions to flesh out the narrative.

Lincoln - the actual score - seems to be another one. ;)

I need to listen to this one more.

Karol

Williams should do his own Lincoln Portrait with music from the film (or new compositions) coupled with Lincoln's words.

Hi gang

I go away for a week on holiday and this big Book Thief score news breaks. Very exciting. Also, a nice reminder, actually, of how things used to be before the internet gave us so much information so early on about movies ahead of their release. The breaking of the news with just a few months until the movie's release is excellent and a real treat. Incidentally, I liked the point made in an earlier posting about how vivid and moving JW's music is when based on stories about young people.

JC

Just to reiterate what few have said and fewer seem to have acknowledged: It seems save to me to assume that Williams either petitioned to get this assignment or at least already knew and liked the book when he was asked if he would be willing to do it. We know he likes reading, and has in the past petitioned for jobs when he liked the book. Why else would he take an obscure (as far as the fame of the project leaders is concerned) assignment like this out of the blue after not having scored a non-Spielberg movie for years?

Williams loves reading! He reads a lot from what I understand.

Regarding past assignments, he went after the job of scoring Angela's Ashes as he fell in love with the book (who doesn't?).

With Memoirs of a Geisha, he read it when the book came out, and get two copies to a couple of close friends: one to Spielberg, who bought the rights for film and was attached to the project as director for some time, and the other to Ma, whit a comment stating something along the lines of, if they make a movie out of this, I hope I can score it and have you as a soloist.

I didn't recall the Accidental Tourist quote from the Ian Lace interview -- I remembered that they addressed that particular score, but nothing about reading the novel. Funny, because this book seems so perfect for Williams sensibilities, I wouldn't be too surprised if he went after that one, after Broughton's score was reject.

Anyway, looking forward to "The Book Thief". I also ordered the book, and hopefully on Monday will start reading it. And just found out that this one is a recommended reading for nine graders in Portugal.

While I try not to expect nothing regarding the music, as the actual fill will be what dictates the approach, I would love a chamber sized score, with very few musicians... maybe recorded with the Boston Symphony Chamber Players (they are only 13 :))

Hugo is by far the more potent score. For The Book Thief, Williams reaches into his typical bag of tricks for the sentimental claptrap with which his name has become synonymous. Whereas Shore is content to let the film speak for itself, Williams cannot resist suffusing the picture with his own typically heavy-handed musical sensibilities. His music simultaneously trivializes and moralizes, falling into same trap that previously befell Piovani and Horner.

Anyway, looking forward to "The Book Thief". I also ordered the book, and hopefully on Monday will start reading it. And just found out that this one is a recommended reading for nine graders in Portugal.

It also won a prestigious youth book award in my hometown :) I remember reading some newspaper cutouts about it at the time, my mother always follows those things quite closely. Should try to read it before the movie comes around.

Hugo is by far the more potent score. For The Book Thief, Williams reaches into his typical bag of tricks for the sentimental claptrap with which his name has become synonymous. Whereas Shore is content to let the film speak for itself, Williams cannot resist suffusing the picture with his own typically heavy-handed musical sensibilities. His music simultaneously trivializes and moralizes, falling into same trap that previously befell Piovani and Horner.

Agreed, Shore is much more refined in his musical approach. He is able to really dig underneath and enrich the film from within, as opposed to Williams slobbering the notes all over.

Both of you. Please check your medication.

(well in case of the sentimentalist, I should check the sarcasm factor)

Hugo is by far the more potent score.

So you already heard The Book Thief ?

( Shore ) He is able to really dig underneath and enrich the film from within, as opposed to Williams slobbering the notes all over.

Well that's more due to the lack of Shores skills as a composer and orchestrator. But good for you, if you take it that way.

( Shore ) He is able to really dig underneath and enrich the film from within, as opposed to Williams slobbering the notes all over.

Well that's more due to the lack of Shores skills as a composer and orchestrator. But good for you, if you take it that way.

are-you-serious.gif

I am really looking forward to seeing this movie, as well as listening to the Maestro's score. I am in the process of collecting all of his music that has been released thus far: film scores, concert pieces, TV scores, concertos. My collection is almost complete, with only a few film and TV scores left, so I cannot wait to get the soundtrack to The Book Thief when it comes out, as well as go and see the film.

Why?

How involved is he with the film?

Well, since Williams was in negotiations for the production prior to filming and probably committed by the time the author visited the set, one would think he would have been told. Then again, I have no idea how such things go with an author who is not formally attached to the production. Either way, it is cool that the author reacted as one of us would.

Well, since Williams was in negotiations for the production prior to filming and probably committed by the time the author visited the set, one would think he would have been told. Then again, I have no idea how such things go with an author who is not formally attached to the production. Either way, it is cool that the author reacted as one of us would.

I would say it really depends on the author and his/her connection to the film, will he/she be aware of every choice involved in making the movie or hiring its crew. Visiting the sets doesn't necessarily mean that Zusak is intimately involved with everything that goes on with the making of this movie even though they might keep him up to date on its general progress. It is fun though that he got to find out about JWs involvement just like the rest of us. :)

If Mr. Zusak genuinely wasn't aware that Williams was working on the film until just recently, then I imagine he's mostly staying away from the production, hopefully by his own choice. Some authors like to be hands-on for various reasons, whether they're cinephiles or just control freaks, but I know a lot of them prefer to limit their involvement, both out of respect for the filmmakers and a personal aversion to watching the process of their book being taken apart. Judging by his Tumblr, he seems to be content with watching from the sidelines, along with his visit to the set and probably an invite to the premiere.

Yeah, I agree, this was as big of a surprise as it was ever going to be. There's a world of difference between this and Star Wars when it comes to public interest in JW scoring announcements.

Both announcements are on equal ground in my interest. I was really excited when it was announced that the Maestro would return to do the music to the new Star Wars trilogy, and I was just as excited when it was announced that he would also do the music for this year's The Book Thief.

Then again, the Star Wars announcement was more anticipated, and John Williams publicly stated that he was interested and looking forward to returning to that galaxy far, far away prior to the official announcement.

The news about him doing the music for The Book Thief was a nice surprise.

Expecting lots of strings & solo woodwinds on this one!

In the film source interview, there was mention that the score is only for accordion and harpsichord. It should be interesting.

In the film source interview, there was mention that the score is only for accordion and harpsichord. It should be interesting.

Can you post the link to the interview?

Can you post the link to the interview?

Yeah, what interview..?