John Williams YouTube tributes thread

Quintus

Here are some amazing performances of Star Wars music on piano. Enjoy!

Very depresing, yet beatiful, arrangement of Force Theme with some Anakin's Betrayal flavour:

Imperial March, Battle of Heroes, Duel of the Fates, Han and Leia, Battle of Endor II and more:

Cantina Band, Across the Stars, Battle of Endor III:

Parade of the Ewoks:

The best "Across the Stars" piano rendition on YouTube i have seen (3:25 buildup... come on...):

Imperial March:

Main Title with some mistakes, but still very enjoyable:

• 2 weeks later...

She has a lot of talent, but my problem with her videos is that the background music is too overbearing and distracting. For example, that sampled horn at 0:24 of the JP video spoils a perfectly lovely performance of the theme. A pure violin version or one with minimal accompaniment would be much better...

This guy is absolutely fantastic...

There's a lot more on his channel.

• 1 month later...

I like this performance of Schindler's List by Amy Lee, who plays on cruise ships.  Sometimes performances of this piece can be rather mannered, but I find this one nice and straightforward with lovely tone and intonation.

It's been a long time since we've had a new video/performance/arrangement from Jarrod Radnich -- the technical piano wizard who's done incredibly popular covers of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, HARRY POTTER etc. Well, last month he gave us this crazy rendition of the most famous STAR WARS themes (am I hearing a bit of "Rey's Theme" in there or are my ears deceiving me?):

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

(am I hearing a bit of "Rey's Theme" in there or are my ears deceiving me?):

Since it was published to youtube on December 24th and the TFA OST was only released on December 18th, that's extremely unlikely.

Just now, Jay said:

Since it was published to youtube on December 24th and the TFA OST was only released on December 18th, that's extremely unlikely.

Yeah, I relistened just now. I thought maybe there was something around the 3:00 mark, but it was just a transitional piece of some kind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25.5.2016 at 10:02 AM, Stempel said:

Performances are sometimes a bit shoddy, but the selection is impressive. I've just scrolled through, and thought I heard NIXON at some point. Is there a program list somewhere?

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Performances are sometimes a bit shoddy, but the selection is impressive. I've just scrolled through, and thought I heard NIXON at some point. Is there a program list somewhere?

I think your post is a bit shoddy in some places. Performances are over your usual young orchestras average with very few mistakes - and Rey's Theme's rendition is better (despite one too many note from oboe) than at recent Boston Pops Film Night concert under Williams' baton.

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8888 - here is program.

I didn't realize it was a 'young' orchestra. If so, I agree that the performance is above average. Thanks for the program; seems like it was entirely Spielberg-specific.

Yes it was all Spielberg-Williams collaboration concert. One thing I was a bit miffed about was that they performed only Suo Gan from Empire of the Sun but then again they didn't have a choir in the concert and the concertized material from it is choir heavy. Otherwise a terrific performance from the youngsters. Rey's Theme was indeed quite spot on.

• 1 month later...

I came across these two videos and I thought I'd share them with you. I knew there was a concert in Paris in early 2016 but I couldn't attend and when I look at these it seems like it was a great concert :( . Oh well at least we have videos ! I'm not sure I'm in the right thread but I didn't know where to post them. 

What these kids are doing is irritatingly rude, but Williams is super sweet and actually comes out to greet them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 9:35 AM, aviazn said:

A baroque-esque improvisation on Hedwig's Theme (not embeddable AFAIK):

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/williams/gabriela-montero-harry-potter-improvisation/

Nice. Lovely to hear such an adaptation. 

How does this thread exist without this.....

followed by this.....

and of course....

and lastly....

this one is gold!

And there are plenty more.

In honor of Hook's 25th anniversary, I covered "When You're Alone" on guitar. The rest of the score is so damn perfect that this is the only track I could kinda put my own spin on. Hope you enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, toothless said:

I don't know if it's ever been posted here or if there is a thread dedicated to masterclass, but anyway I came across this the other day. Nice video I thought I would share with you.

https://vimeo.com/143233309

This has indeed been discussed previously. But thanks anyway!