James Horner turns the big 6-0

chuck

Predicable!

Yeah, he's in a predictament.

I shall listen to the danger motif in celebration.

*closes eyes and picks CD*

Maybe somebody should do a Danger Motif: The Greatest Hits album.

60 YEARS OLD: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAESTRO!

This year, James Horner turns 60. A birthday is often a moment of fun and celebration, all the more, turning 60 makes it possible to look back over the decades of a career. The best way to celebrate this moment consists in diving into his work again, listening to his best cues, and being carried by the magic of his music, which can alternatively be intimate, dramatic, enraged, swirling, aerial… We could add more adjectives to this list, since the notes coming from the artist's mind have deployed so many colors, feelings and emotions over more than three decades.

Read more: http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/60-years-old-happy-birthday-maestro/

I will present my congratulations in October in Vienna.. :)

Who is John Howard?

Are you going to Vienna in October, pub?

Oh and happy b-day to moody Jimmy.

Karol

60 YEARS OLD: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAESTRO!

This year, James Horner turns 60. A birthday is often a moment of fun and celebration, all the more, turning 60 makes it possible to look back over the decades of a career. The best way to celebrate this moment consists in diving into his work again, listening to his best cues, and being carried by the magic of his music, which can alternatively be intimate, dramatic, enraged, swirling, aerial… We could add more adjectives to this list, since the notes coming from the artist's mind have deployed so many colors, feelings and emotions over more than three decades.

Read more: http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/60-years-old-happy-birthday-maestro/

That is certainly not new: who indeed remembers The Dresser (1983), Where The River Runs Black (1986), Vibes (1988) or even Dad (1989)?

I do! THE DRESSER is an outstanding film, with one of the best performances of Tom Courtenay's career, and Albert Finney is on top form.

Which performance are you attending?

Karol

Friday, i think.

Marian is going as well, so is Thor and myself. It might be a good idea for a small get-together.

If you fancy it, that is.

Karol

He said this, so I remain optimistic. :)

I myself will arrive in Vienna Friday afternoom and stay there till Sunday. No specific plans yet, as I'm travelling alone. But I want to see some of it.

Karol

I meant more he should get his lazy austrian ass up proposing a number of proper locations. After all, JWFan members will not meet at some dump...but also not pay inflated prices for large quantities of alcohol, whores and blackjack! ;)

In recognition, I shall play this tommorow morning while preparing to leave for work.

"Run down stairs"

"Slot bread into toaster" (dramatically)

"Catch toast popping up out of toaster" (dramatically)

"Boots on"

"Lacing up boots, with shaking hands"

"Run through hallway and out of the house"

"Jump into driving seat. Ignition. Fall back by squads"

He was an early staple in my film music collection, and an inseparable element of the 80s cinematic experience. He's earned himself a mountain of criticism for his style, but only by being such a headline player and prolific influence on the industry. Hell, I have my own issues with him, to be sure . . . but they've never kept me from continuing to hold a deep love and respect for his music.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Horner.

- Uni

At the end of the day and when all is said and done, I fucking love this guy. Especially when he's on top form. I take the piss out of his bone idle laziness (as I see it) all the time, but it's always affectionately intended. James Horner is a fucking master of melodics and emotional wringing, when he wants to be. He's brilliant.

Which is enough for me.

Happy 60th you recycling bastard!

At the end of the day and when all is said and done, I fucking love this guy. Especially when he's on top form. I take the piss out of his bone idle laziness (as I see it) all the time, but it's always affectionately intended. James Horner is a fucking master of melodics and emotional wringing, when he wants to be. He's brilliant.

Which is enough for me.

Happy 60th you recycling bastard!

Whe he's on form he is virtually unbeatable!

Great composer, but Horner never managed to climb up my favorites like others did. Generational, maybe?

If you weren't around for his Cocoon era then I guess it's too late to really get what he was about.

Back then Horner was a dreamer. He was Steven Spielberg the film composer.

He's still doing some really solid work. I enjoyed Horsemen suite a great deal, as I did this piece from The Spiderwick Chronicles.

Among other things, of course.

Which reminds me... I never grabbed that Clear and Present Danger expansion...

Karol

Great composer, but Horner never managed to climb up my favorites like others did. Generational, maybe?

If you weren't around for his Cocoon era then I guess it's too late to really get what he was about.

Back then Horner was a dreamer. He was Steven Spielberg the film composer.

I was introduced to him through his An American Tale scores and The Land Before Time. The Perfect Storm is probably my favorite of his, off the top of my head. I don't give his older stuff enough attention but I'm slowly but surely getting to it. Love Wrath Of Khan and would instantly jump on a Cocoon expansion just because of its use in the Super 8 trailer.

Troy is actually quite impressive, when you consider he had to write 10 minutes of music a day. I like it better than some of his other epics.

Karol