James Horner turns the big 6-0

chuck

Troy is actually quite impressive, when you consider he had to write 10 minutes of music a day. I like it better than some of his other epics.

Karol

Troy is like Horner on steroids. It's completely over the top. Just like the other two scores where he faced an extreme schedule Aliens and Krull.

Something changed after Titanic. I guess selling 25 million CD's does something to you.

Yeah (probably even before Titanic, IMO). There's definitely a sense of "before-and-after" built into his career. Horner's 80s and early 90s repertoire is quite simply indispensable if you want to get a full picture of his range and abilities. Scores like the two Star Trek installments, Krull, The Rocketeer, Willow, and Glory are must-have classics. Apollo 13, Braveheart, and the like showed some evolution to his style but were still in keeping with his core talents. By the late 90s he'd started shifting into a sort of autopilot/shorthand version of his former self, and he never really got back to the flourishing imagination of his early works.

That's not to say I don't enjoy any of his recent material; just that things changed for him, that's all.

- Uni

I'm not a fan of his Avatar score. Fairly run-of-the-mill and generic. Even more so when you consider that he had a whole year to write it.

I think it's okay, but man, he had a huge opportunity to turn the corner with that one, and instead just fell back on his common, recent threads. Disappointing.

- Uni

I suppose not. Would've been nice to see him "evolve" in a better direction—or even something more similar to his older stuff—but he's not one to make those leaps, no.

- Uni

Something changed after Titanic. I guess selling 25 million CD's does something to you.

Yeah (probably even before Titanic, IMO). There's definitely a sense of "before-and-after" built into his career. Horner's 80s and early 90s repertoire is quite simply indispensable if you want to get a full picture of his range and abilities. Scores like the two Star Trek installments, Krull, The Rocketeer, Willow, and Glory are must-have classics. Apollo 13, Braveheart, and the like showed some evolution to his style but were still in keeping with his core talents. By the late 90s he'd started shifting into a sort of autopilot/shorthand version of his former self, and he never really got back to the flourishing imagination of his early works.

That's not to say I don't enjoy any of his recent material; just that things changed for him, that's all.

- Uni

There's a big stylistic difference after Titanic (a score I never really liked) in his music. He ventured away from the more raw sound of his old classics and took on more of a syrupy approach to his projects. And yet, I still enjoy the hell out of some of his modern stuff. It may be endless regurgitation, but I can't help but enjoy it, perhaps in a guilty pleasure way. It's nice to still have that kind of broad, emotional music being written in today's world of film music.

If you weren't around for his Cocoon era then I guess it's too late to really get what he was about.

Back then Horner was a dreamer. He was Steven Spielberg the film composer.

Hmm... Interesting analogy

It has a beautiful theme, about as unabashedly optimistic as it gets, moreso even than the E.T. theme.

I suppose in this day and age it's considered a bit twee, but I give two fingers to the emo influence as you know.

I've never heard a note of Cocoon (never seen the movie either) and I love Horner

You're missin' out, dude. This was one of his seminal efforts—one of those that caught enough attention to be used in trailers for years after.

- Uni

You can if you want, but I doubt any expanded release (if it ever gets one) will include much more than what's already there. I doubt there's more than 10 minutes of music from the movie that wasn't included on the OST. This is one of those rare instances where they actually released the best and most significant music from the film. I wouldn't think there's much reason to wait for something that may never happen anyway—and it is a score worth having, especially if you like Horner.

- Uni

There are those wonderfully dreamy and sweet moments in COCOON that define 80s fantasy movies as much as Williams' E. T.

Pub, I've got to hand it to you: sometimes I've got you down as a right wing neo nazi fascist invader of continents, but then you go and post something like this and it just makes me tear up and throw out everything I know.

I am not overly happy that a large part of the concert in Vienna will be devoted to a score like TITANIC - you can't really avoid it, though. The program seems to focus on the big, mushy recent scores (BRAVEHEART, LEGENDS OF THE FALL et al.) that somehow deny Horner's brash youthful days. But we take what we get and while we all know that Horner's best days are truly behind him, i still cherish him as a one-of-kind talent, even with all the strange idiosyncrasies.

Legends of the Fall is one of the very best scores that JH has written, I'd suggest. It complements the on-screen action and works so well away from the movie. From early in his career, check out The Journey of Natty Gann. I guess that, for me, it was hearing the Cocoon theme on a cd (Kunzel conducting?) back in about 1987 that got me into his work. I also greatly enjoy the music he has composed for animated films.

Well, his work got more bloated and self-serving around that time, LOTF leans heavily on DANCES WITH WOLVES, the score that cemented this kind of approach in the early 90's. It has gorgeous melodies, but is really rather one note and very mundane in its wash-of-string-syrup-over-everything approach.

Horner was once a very resourceful artist, going from WOLFEN and 48 HOURS to NAME OF THE ROSE, VIBES or WHERE THE RIVER RUNS BLACK to WILLOW, LAND BEFORE TIME and finally SNEAKERS, that might be his last truly creative experiment. To limit him to these crowdpleasers like TITANIC sells him much too short, but with 2 hours of playing time, there sadly can't be done much about it.

On thing that will be enjoyable is Horner's long-suite approach. The JNH concert in Gent had those 2-minute interludes from KING KONG etc., it was just too short to leave an impression and i don't think Horner will make that mistake.

Doing my best to de-clutter the house today, happened upon these.

You wouldn't believe how much both those tapes have been played.

Sooo many journeys playing those in the car. It's a miracle they are still intact.

swclc2.jpg

2evudfq.jpg

ru8rp3.jpg

314tua8.jpg

2v955hf.jpg

sm56gy.jpg

14tu5g8.jpg

I am not overly happy that a large part of the concert in Vienna will be devoted to a score like TITANIC - you can't really avoid it, though. The program seems to focus on the big, mushy recent scores (BRAVEHEART, LEGENDS OF THE FALL et al.) that somehow deny Horner's brash youthful days. But we take what we get and while we all know that Horner's best days are truly behind him, i still cherish him as a one-of-kind talent, even with all the strange idiosyncrasies.

Well said, especially the last part.

I've never heard a note of Cocoon

And yet you don't stop listening to and over-analyzing inferior scores like Giacchino's Super 8.

Whose to say I won't do the same for Cocoon once I hear it?

Cocoon is a beautiful and touching score, As mentioned previously I don't know if there's more than 10 minutes to add.

The only improvement would be to dump that stupid song off the CD.

There's always an improvement to be made with scores that old, in terms of remastered audio - on top of a complete and chronological presentation and new liner notes and artwork

Well other than the obvious remastering & updated liner notes that would occur.

That's kind of a given don't you think?

My main concern is the music.

It's not that old?

1984 was the release date I think.

I've never heard a note of Cocoon

And yet you don't stop listening to and over-analyzing inferior scores like Giacchino's Super 8.

Whose to say I won't do the same for Cocoon once I hear it?

Cocoon is one of those works one should be familiar with before listening to any Giacchino score.

Michael Sembello's '80s songs are fun! Flashdance's "Maniac", "Gremlins... Mega Madness", Cocoon's "Gravity"... And they all work very well in their respective films.

Michael Sembello's '80s songs are fun! Flashdance's "Maniac", "Gremlins... Mega Madness", Cocoon's "Gravity"... And they all work very well in their respective films.

I never liked Sembellos music.

Cocoon is a beautiful and touching score, As mentioned previously I don't know if there's more than 10 minutes to add.

Nah. "Gravity" closes the deal, renders the release a masterpiece. ;)

- Uni

Check out this interview with Roger Feigelson of Intrada Records:

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/intrada-interview-with-roger-feigelson/

At the end, he says an expansion of a classic 80s Horner title is coming... I'd bet it's Cocoon!