I just came back from this. It's a really fun movie and kicks the shit out of the Avengers. A Marvel movie that I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish!

Why do you think I said it ;)

Then you clearly have no idea what this movie is about.

It's Star Wars for grown ups. Whedon unbounded. Marvel coming of age.

It's good because I'm going in completely ignorant to what it is. Have only seen the odd still and that's literally it. It's like I've been transported back to the summer of 1977, a time when space movies weren't spoiled by pre-release internet hype!

For the first time in I don't know how long, I came out of the movie wanting to see it again. This is how you build characters that audiences will love. This movie is a blast, and I predict they will sell a billion copies of the soundtrack.

My only quibble was (minor spoiler ahead)

the razor thin plot line of the bad guy wanting to rule/destroy by getting the MacGuffin stone. It seems Marvel hinges just about all of their plots on such a device, and it's barely enough to make you care. The villains in this are okay, but nowhere near as lovable or memorable as the good guys. It's just getting tiresome to have everyone chasing the magic stone.

Yeah, the plot wasn't stellar. But the reverence and charm in it just makes it all work. Some might find it a bit overstuffed (with its humour and homages), but for once I found a Marvel film that was thoroughly entertaining, and not just formulaic rehash.

Charm. That's it, yes. This movie's got it, and it works better than any other Marvel film to date. If not for Hiddleston, Avengers had crappy villains and plot as well. But this easily trumps Avengers.

There is the occasional cursing.

The film is geared more towards adults I think, those who grew up in the 70s/80s.

Oh and on an off-note, the visuals were pretty good too!

It's loud and intense, but none of the violence or scariness exceeds other Marvel movies like Thor or Avengers.

There are some really great worlds and environments depicted. I especially liked Planet Epcot.

It's loud and intense, but none of the violence or scariness exceeds other Marvel movies like Thor or Avengers.

There are some really great worlds and environments depicted. I especially liked Planet Epcot.

Indeed. I really liked the villain's (Ronan?) ship. Had a nice Ridley Scott vibe to it!

I was also surprised by the score. Tyler Bates produced something pretty decent. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it all on album, but it did meet the requirements of the film with its fair share of heroic moments.

The score is serviceable. It has the generic Marvel sound. It will easily be eclipsed by the songs which feature so prominently in the film.

Enjoyed this. Didn't top The Avengers for me but that's likely because this was an "introduction." Felt a bit... thin, if you know what I mean, but a minor complaint. The score is pretty much just there but does actually make an impression with the Groot material, which I thought was quite beautiful.

I get what you mean, but I feel like that gets easily overshadowed in the fun of it all. Though I'm surprised you enjoyed The Avengers more, which I found rather stale and generic compared to this.

I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away by it. I loved Rocket and Groot but if you took them out it would be your standard Marvel movie formula. In fact it was pretty much Thor 2.

Bilbo - who is definitely starting to feel the Marvel fatigue.

It was a funny little easter egg for us "old guys", since I doubt any of the kids knew what the heck was going on with this duck in their Marvel soup, but I hope they don't plan on doing anything stupid like making a new film or franchise out of this character.

The post-credits scene served another purpose: it showed us the Collector survived the attack on his shop. Apparently Howard was visible earlier in the film in at least one other shot, when he was in a cage at the edge of the frame and didn't speak. By including him at all in the movie, Marvel shows its fans that every character in their library (i.e. not owned by other studios) is on the table for making future films and TV.

The post-credits scene served another purpose: it showed us the Collector survived the attack on his shop. Apparently Howard was visible earlier in the film in at least one other shot, when he was in a cage at the edge of the frame and didn't speak. By including him at all in the movie, Marvel shows its fans that every character in their library (i.e. not owned by other studios) is on the table for making future films and TV.

Except women. http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-marvel-female-superhero-movie/

Curious. Rocket didn't know what a "raccoon" was when Quill called him one in the prison line, yet he had no problem saying "batshit-crazy" toward the end of the film. He needs some brushing up on his rodents.

No. Peter Quill has a translator implant in his neck. The movie shows us this, albeit briefly, and since he (and we) understand every other alien in the film, it's implied that everyone has a similar device or skill.

quill.png

It would be one thing to claim that all aliens in this movie are actually speaking a different language totally unrelated to English -- like you could with "Basic" in the Star Wars galaxy, since you never see an Earth human in the Star Wars galaxy. Ok, the English language spoken there used to be called Basic; I don't think the term "Basic" was actually used in the prequels to keep it canon.

However, even if Peter Quill was speaking an alien language, he would not have been able to translate his awesome mix tape into the other language. And the mix tape is intended to be understood by the aliens exactly as we hear it, as shown when he dances to the Five Stairsteps’ “O-o-h Child” to distract Ronan.

I've been watching Farscape on Netflix, and in that show, most aliens, if not all, understand each other using "translator microbes" implanted in their brains that allow them to speak and understand each other with various Australian, British, and American accents of English, only being garbled gibberish when we're hearing it through the ears of Earth humans without these microbes. It's a cheap way of not having to invent languages and deal with subtitles.

So Guardians of the Galaxy saves cost by assuming that all these alien races have translator implants in their neck. Does that explain why everyone's lips still form English shapes if you press the mute button, as opposed to their native tongues? Nobody was going to authorize a big budget blockbuster to overdub every single character in English while their lips mouthed completely different words. (You want that, see how many young people don't laugh at how distracting it is in an old classic like "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.") Farscape's microbes, Star Trek's universal translator, and the translation circuit of the TARDIS in Doctor Who, among other sci-fi shows, all "cheat" in this sense.

Rocket may have stated some other curse words in his native tongue, which Quill's implant translated into English as "jackass" (which I didn't remember) and "batshit," but his language has no translation for "raccoon."

The comic explanation for Groot's limited "vocabulistics" is even sillier than how Rocket explains it. He's really speaking a complex language, but his vocal cords are too stiff on account of being wood to create something we understand, so all we get is "I" and "am" and "Groot," in that order. That, um...that flies in the face of having a translator implant in the first place. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares!

Everyone in Star Trek talks English because of the Universal translator, even though it's never stated where such a device is located, and how it can possibly work.

Beats subtitles!

You clearly care, shitforbrains, because you waited ten days to respond about not caring, and I had already mentioned the Star Trek universal translator. You sound so smart when you repeat someone else.

And of course, nightscape# cares because the classic "everybody speaks English" convention used in mainstream science fiction is now a plot hole in this mainstream sci-fi/superhero movie.

• 2 weeks later...