Abel Korzeniowski's Romeo and Juliet (Replaced James Horner) - Sony Classic OST

Jay

Two possibilities:

1) They fired him for ripping off Prokofiev's R&J yet again

2) They hired him to rip off Prokofiev's R&J yet again and fired him when he didn't

Well apparently Horner didn't write an especially romantic score, he wrote an action score in his classic 80s/90s style. Check out this thread:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92203&forumID=1&archive=0

And scroll to / search for the posts by Kevin Costigan - he saw the film a few times with Horner's score in it and discusses it in the thread.

who is the able guy, he's gotta be low rent for sure.

I'd love to see Horner and Marian debate this whole plagerism thing that Marian insanely hangs onto, I'm sure Horner would utterly destroy him.

Abel Korzeniowski is the up and coming Polish composer who scored Battle for Terra, Copernicus' Star, and A Single Man. Check out some of the videos posted of his work in the thread here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18203

who is the able guy, he's gotta be low rent for sure.

Abel is an incredibly talented composer whose been climbing up the ranks, slowly, but surely. Glad he got a project like this, although saddened that it was at the cost of another Horner score.

I know Abel is great. And I am looking forward to his work.

Just wondering why Horner was rejected. Everyone on earth know he would re-use his old works, it should be considered when they choose him.

Well apparently Horner didn't write an especially romantic score, he wrote an action score in his classic 80s/90s style. Check out this thread:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92203&forumID=1&archive=0

And scroll to / search for the posts by Kevin Costigan - he saw the film a few times with Horner's score in it and discusses it in the thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering. What's wrong with Horner? Why replacing him?

In my opinion, James Horner is the first choice for this kind of romantic title.

Have you heard any of Korzeniowski's work?

Mainly A Single Man and W.E.?

edit: Oh,i guess you have. I saw your later reply.

Well, I would say Korzeniowski is the most ideal as it turned out for romantic dramas.

These 2 works are masterpieces!

Great news! I can't wait to listen to this. Abel is an able composer. ;)

Urgh....

Have you heard anything from him Stefan?

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/09/21/romeo-juliet-soundtrack-details/#more-20049

1. Juliet’s Dream
2. Forbidden Love
3. Queen Mab
4. The Cheek of Night
5. First Kiss
6. Trooping With Crows
7. A Thousand Times Good Night
8. Come, Gentle Night
9. Wedding Vows
10. Fortune’s Fool
11. From Ancient Grudge
12. Death is My Heir
13. Tempt Not a Desperate Man
14. The Crypt (Part 1)
15. The Crypt (Part 2)
16. Eternal Love

Please god, make this a melodic, orchestral score without random piano tingling and ambient sounds ...!

Thank you! Amen.

Amen!

• 2 weeks later...

Please god, make this a melodic, orchestral score without random piano tingling and ambient sounds ...!

Thank you! Amen.

Hear the samples?

It might be. Because Horner's music was published by different company, there are some strange legal things going on. And this album being delayed is one of those things. At least that's what happened before.

Karol

It might be. Because Horner's music was published by different company, there are some strange legal things going on. And this album being delayed is one of those things. At least that's what happened before.

Karol

What? Horner's Romeo & Juliet was pubished?

Karol

Even though the music is not published to the audience it still has a company behind it. No score was "published" per se.

Oh and quite like Korzeniowski's work. I need to hear more than those samples to make the final judgement but I am liking what I am hearing thusfar. Very much in the vein of his popular work.

Karol

I'll rephrase that. Rights to that score belong elsewhere and with projects like that there's some legal stuff that needs to sorted out first. Because, obviously, Horner probably had a contract and was about to release the album. And now the label is releasing the score, but the composer's change. It's a mess.

Karol

Karol

I'll rephrase that. Rights to that score belong elsewhere and with projects like that there's some legal stuff that needs to sorted out first. Because, obviously, Horner probably had a contract and was about to release the album. And now the label is releasing the score, but the composer's change. It's a mess.

Karol

Yup. Well and concisely put Karol.

It's coming out soon, don't worry.

In the meantime, I've just noticed that there's a promo of his score to Fritz Lang's Metropolis on iTunes for free. The sound quality leaves a lot to be desired (it's from live performance) and it's not an entire score (which clocks around 147 minutes, I think), but I'd recommend checking it out, especially if you like his bigger scores. It's in the Podcasts section, strangely enough.

Karol

WOW this score is great! Both this and his score to Escape From Tomorrow are my favorite scores this year! Although I won't lie that I am still curious to hear what Horner did.

And I did NOT know about his score he did to Metropolis! Its one of my favorite films! Must seek that out!

Actually the main title music from A Single Man, is a movement from Metropolis! ;)

The Crypt Pt.2 is one of the most heartbreaking pieces I've ever heard...

I coincidentally was reading this poem here (it was in a facebook status), when I was listening to the piece for the first time , and i cried my eyes out!

http://eleternoretorno.blogspot.gr/2005/06/pablo-neruda-die-slowly.html

It's nice enough for the ears I suppose, but a bit too derivative. I was expecting more.

It's a pity that Korzeniowski has been typecasted like this. The producers probably asked him to go in this direction, but unfortunately, the style's novelty is wearing off...

I'm working on my review of the score as we speak, expect it to be posted on Friday.

KK, he's no more typecast than Desplat, Marianelli, Powell, Zimmer, Elfman. Plus it's an replacement job did in about 6 weeks.

But you're right - it would be great for him to do something else. He said something about the dream to score an action picure.

Actually the main title music from A Single Man, is a movement from Metropolis! ;)

It's the other way around actually. ;)

EDIT: Oh no, wait. I read your post wrong, filmmusic.

Karol

KK, he's no more typecast than Desplat, Marianelli, Powell, Zimmer, Elfman. Plus it's an replacement job did in about 6 weeks.

But you're right - it would be great for him to do something else. He said something about the dream to score an action picure.

You're talking about composers with a massive number of films under their name. Similarities are bound to pop up. Even with that, Marianelli has great diversity in his oeuvre, as does Elfman (and maybe even Desplat).

My main point is, W.E. and Romeo and Juliet, being two vastly different films/concepts in setting, plot, and themes have received two barely distinguishable scores.

Of course I understand its a replacement job, it doesn't change what the music is (not to mention I've heard more exciting replacement jobs, even from Horner himself). It's disappointing to hear this reliance on these simple structures, whose novelty, as I said, is sadly wearing off. This is especially the case because we know Korzeniowski is capable of so much more.

But I digress. I understand the conditions Korzeniowski had to work in, but that doesn't mean I going to fall head over heels for this W.E. knock-off. I'm only describing it as I hear it, and I'll enjoy it for what it is.

My main point is, W.E. and Romeo and Juliet, being two vastly different films/concepts in setting, plot, and themes have received two barely distinguishable scores.

Oh the irony. The same accusation that would have met the Horner score without any discernible doubt. Just that in Horner's case we would actually be offended if it didn't feature at least 4 or 5 trademarks.

I can't expect anything better of Horner. It's become an all-too exhausting fault of his really, no use in fighting it.

I CAN however expect much more of Korzeniowski, who has shown flashes of brilliance and diversity in his other greats, proving that this semi-Glass, drama material, as beautiful as it sounds, isn't the only thing he can churn out.

Also, in Horner's defence, he is known to at least try to diversify the application of his reused musical ideas.