BloodBoal

BloodBoal, I think your second video got a better idea of where the music belongs. The first two minutes seemed pretty spot on, but the Sebastian material seems off in pacing. I believe last two minutes of the Extended Radagast cue were originally composed for a different scene, or rather a different version of the scene (like the film version) and was just stacked on to the cue for the sake of an "extended version". So that's why I think your first one doesn't work out.

Honestly, this music is clearly written for a whole different edit or variation of this sequence, so either way, you're not going to get a very accurate match-up.

Well, I think the first video is SPOT ON from 0:00-3:07. I think the "missing footage" card you put from 1:58-2:08 is exactly right - I think when the scene was scored, Radagast tried more techniques to revitalize Sebastian beyond the powder and smoke and things he does in the final cut (maybe those will be put back into the EE). Specifically, check out these perfect sync points for the first 3:07 of the video

0:52 fast music as Radagast begins running

1:14 sad music as he finds Sebastian

1:40 music quiets down as we enter Radagast's house

1:57 fiddle returns as he tries the wackiest revitalization techniques

1:23 Hint at Sauron's Theme as he realizes dark magic is what's causing the problems

2:41 Dark music as it cuts to first shot of spiders outside

2:50 Dark music as it cuts to second shot of spiders outside

2:56 sad music as it cuts to Sebastian dying

As mentioned, though, the next part of your video makes no sense, because there's no way a minute of footage was cut from when Sebastian dies until he tries the crystal trick to revive him. I don't think anything shown in the first video from 4:02-5:10 is right at all (despite the coincidence of choir showing up as the mice enter at 4:07).

Now your second video is identical for the first 1:58, then the footage from 1:58-3:07 I don't think is correct at all, as stated above I think the first video was right in that area. Nothing is this version syncs well, really.

Now starting at 3:07 you're closer to his original intentions, I think! Really I think you're just off by a couple seconds. You've got the climax of the piece as Sebastian is healed from 3:30-3:40 (maybe off by a second or so), and then I think around 3:50 when the fiddle comes back in should be synced to the exterior shot of his house, the percussion returning at 4:13 should be synced to the sled taking off, etc. Then I think your Journey to Dol Guldur title card is right, plus the establishing shot of Dol Guldur you've got from 4:36-4:45 is right too. And I do think 4:45-5:10 is for footage of Radagast outside Dol Guldur that was trimmed from the final film.

Now both videos are the same again from 5:10-end. I COMPLETELY disagree that this was music written for Gandalf talking to Radagast about what he saw in Dol Guldur and shown in flashback - I don't think Shore would have placed an alternate inside another track like that. I think as original structured, we saw Radagast approaching Dol Guldur, going inside, and fighting the Nazgul and then seeing the Necromancer in the doorway right there in order all in the same part of the film. And I think it makes sense that Shore would have scored it this way with a kind of quieter, subdued Sauron's theme, as he probably knew it would be covered in sound effects / noises / stuff. Also also, the screen fading to black makes sense, because it means us the audience wouldn't know Radagast's fate, and then when he shows after the troll hoard sequence, and he is frazzled, we know more about what happened before Gandalf does. Of course, that whole bit was restructed before Shore scored it (or at least, we haven't heard Shore's original version yet), because the music on album (in The Hill Of Sorcery) and in the film is there for showing his encounter with the Nazgul and the Necromancer in the doorway at that part, in a flashback.

So getting back to the video, I think you are one video away from the perfect version:

-Start with the way the first video is for the first 3:07, up through that shot of Radagast's face looking sad.

-Your second video has the very next shot shown after his sad face at 3:03, that needs to be moved up to around 3:07, and then maybe some footage needs to be removed, or black screens added, or whatever, to get the sync points I mentioned at 3:50 and 4:13

-After the 5:10 mark, I would just keep the black screen going until 5:31 where it shows Radagast on the bridge. I think there were more establishing shots and exploring around shots that were trimmed from the final film.

Yay for more collaboration!

:worship:

Yes, yes yes yes! I think we've got it!

Man, all these videos show that Shore did have pretty good instincts on how to score this movie in the beginning.... too bad he had to write so, so many revised compositions that replaced his plan...

I haven't as of yet watched any of these curiosities, but perusing the pages I can tell they are as well meant as they are well received, and for that I salute user BloodBoal: Master of Effort.

He's doing great work!

Watching the last video again, I do wonder if all that music after 4:45 is actually meant for something else entirely..... It does kinda make sense to end the initial Radagast sequence with us seeing Dol Guldur in the distance.... and then seeing the Nazgul/Necromancer bit during his meetup with the company like on the OST/in the final film. Could there have originally been a sequence where we see inside Dol Goldur from the inside, where a voice tells the orcs to hide or something because Radagast is coming? I dunno.

I wish the EE was out!

Here is a video, comparing a part of the film version of the Radgy music, and the Album version, which I think is the same, just with instruments removed: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9TVlHSFdCQmJlSjQ/edit

The Trollshaws!

Adding this video just for completeness sake (all of the music heard in that track ended up in the film).

Cool video!

You'll notice that there actually is a microedit in the track at 0'48 (about 10 seconds were cut out).

Hmmm, interesting. I think when I originally analyzed the score (which was before I had blu ray rear channel rips to work from), I thought that the first part of the album track played out as on the album, and there was just sound design building up to the shot change at 0:54 of your video.... I'll have to check it out again. Seems you may be right and he just shortened that buildup for listening experience.

13 Angry Dwarves and Roast Mutton.

Cool videos! Showcases how much better the OST version is, with the more action-heavy variation of the company theme, and having said company theme come in again during the second half of the sequence instead of only being used once. I can't say there's really anything I prefer about the SE CD version!

It does seem like Shore recorded three variations of the music - light, medium, and heavy, if you will - and just let PJ and the music editors decide what worked best from there. Putting together these CRs sure will be a lot different than the LOTR CRs were. I really hope that, instead of saving all alternates for a potential Rarities disc that may or may not ever come, this time they decide to include bonus tracks after the main program, like the way all the independent labels do their expanded score releases.

And I am sure you are right about the part of the video you edited out :)

Hey BB, I found a bit of music from "Eagle Rescue" that was replaced by some of "My Dear Frodo", in the production diaries (Its not from another cue ;) ) I will look through them all to see if I can find the rest.

The Hill Of Sorcery Has Eyes.

The only parts of this track that were unused in the film are 0'57-1'06 and the famous Mordor theme statement from 3'02 to 3'23.

Thank you Messenger/BloodBoal/Alvar!!! That was awesome. Those two bits may have been relatively short, but make the scene much more effective. Especially the statement of the Mordor theme. It made a pretty lame scene (with a lame shot of the Necromancer), seem much more frightening! Jackson shouldn't have taken it out...it's not like the mass audiences would have recognized it anyways!

Sweet, thanks for going back and doing all of Old Friends - I was going to ask you about doing that eventually :)

I'll check out the new videos as soon as I can!

Warg Scouts is going to be damn near impossible to sync... good luck with that one! :)

Then The Hidden Valley will be pretty straightforward.

Speaking of The Hidden Valley, I wish the horn line in "Moon Runes" when Elrond starts speaking in Elvish to Thorin was not dialed out ("What is he sayin'!? does he over us insult!?")

I didn't like the music in film for that scene. It felt like the music was dragging out for too long to fit the length of the sequence. It's perfect on the ost.

Yes. It felt like melodic lines were removed in favour of more aleatoric brass material on top of the percussion, probably because that's easier to sync with the picture. Maybe Shore didn't have the complete sequence when he wrote for that scene, and when it was lengthened, he just extended with "filler" material.

Ahh yes. Did Jackson really hate the theme that much? The mainstream audience would not have even noticed it.

If the bit of Warg scouts in the Production Diary #10 correct, then the statement of Gandalf's theme is microedited (part of it is used in the film, for the shot of Radagast early in the chase)

OK I just watched BB's The Hill of Sorcery video. Great stuff! The whole piece really flows nicely, especially with the part from 3:02-3:23 in tact. The earlier part that was changed doesn't really affect things too much either way.

Now, the music in the second half of this track fits the Dol Guldur scene so perfectly, I have a hard time feeling that the similar music at the end of Radagast The Brown (Extended Version) is for a different version of this same scene.... it's too.... "mellow" compared to the version here, which is spot on. But who knows.

I have my own video coming, I will upload it in a few minutes.

Alright, here is my video: Eagle Rescue, with the unused section of the film version partially restored:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9WndRWnNleXRjSW8/edit

Alright, here is my video: Eagle Rescue, with the unused section of the film version partially restored:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9WndRWnNleXRjSW8/edit

:lol: It's less jarring than the Ringwraith material, I'll give ya that :P

And after the cool choral material in the beginning, those are fragments of "Bilbo's Adventure" right?

And I still don't like how the Misty Mountains theme sort of pops out of the blue, completely breaks the mood that was just established...

Atleast its not as awkward as the film edit with the lousy fade in from the tracked statement of "AN ANCIENT GREIVANCE" from "M.D.F.".

BTW that IS how it was scored/rescored, you can hear/see it being recorded in production blog #9 at 11:59.

BTW 0:00-0:34 and 0:54-End are in the film, everything in between that came from the aforementioned production blog.

BTW that IS how it was scored/rescored, you can hear/see it being recorded in production blog #9 at 11:59.

BTW 0:00-0:34 and 0:54-End are in the film, everything in between that came from the aforementioned production blog.

I find that little bit very interesting. It's a cool bit of "Bilbo's Adventure", which is one of my favourite themes.

Faleel that is a great video. Up until the silly part I mean. I think that was a very effective way for Shore to score the scene.

I may be out of touch but I have no idea what An Ancient Grievance or MDF is.

One of my favorites is either "[THE] DWARVES ADVENTURE" which usually follows BILBO'S ADVENTURE (they might be the part of the same theme, tho I doubt that) for example in "The World is Ahead" and "Erebor", and "THE EDGE OF THE WILD" theme.

I may be out of touch but I have no idea what MDF is.

Ha! thats what you get for the KIS, KIS, THOTR etc. acronyms ;)

MDF is My Dear Frodo

AN ANCIENT GRIEVANCE is the Thorin's Pride theme.

btw the comic part is in reference to BB's thread of his review of the film. (see the post here)

BTW that part of Bilbo's Adventure, reminds for some reason of the build up to the end of Elanor/Eleanor from ROTK....

One of my favorites is either "[THE] DWARVES ADVENTURE" which usually follows BILBO'S ADVENTURE (they might be the part of the same theme, tho I doubt that) for example in "The World is Ahead" and "Erebor", and "THE EDGE OF THE WILD" theme.

Time stamps? Both "The World is Ahead" and "Erebor" feature only BILBO'S ADVENTURE. I'm not exactly sure what the opening theme of THE EDGE OF THE WILD is though.

AN ANCIENT GRIEVANCE is the Thorin's Pride theme.

Is that your name for it? I like it. Sounds like something Doug would come up with.

btw the comic part is in reference to BB's thread of his review of the film.

BTW that part of Bilbo's Adventure, reminds for some reason of the build up to the end of Elanor/Eleanor from ROTK....

They're both similarly structured melodies. As are all the Shire themes really, and for obvious reasons. Great craftsmanship.

#1 Part 1: 0:41 of The World is Ahead.

#1 Part 2: 2:02 of The World is Ahead, 0:00-0:48 of The Edge of the Wild, and 7:56 of Production Dairy #2

#2: That was my intent

#3: Figured so.