Spielberg on JW's musical cameo in James Bond

indy4

they dont mention the usage in catch me if you can. (maybe the interview is before 2002).

I would have loved to see a Spielberg Bond movie. But then it would have a williams score, or It would be the 1st time williams would use another composer theme of a stablished franchise.

and the joker siren when bond sprang an alarm.... :P

BTW why broccoli and co did never want spielberg in the director's helm?

I think there were efforts to do so in the early 80's or something, but it never came through. I think Spielberg wanted, but the producers didn't. Someone more knowledgeable than I should fill in.

they dont mention the usage in catch me if you can. (maybe the interview is before 2002).

The interview was made during Spielberg's last trip to India (March 2013), his first visit to the country since the filming of TOD 30 years ago.

BTW why broccoli and co did never want spielberg in the director's helm?

Confirming and expanding Spileberg's own words:

Speaking with producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli at the press day for Skyfall, we had the chance to ask them if there’s ever been serious discussions of bringing Spielberg in. In response, Broccoli did share a story regarding conversations between Spielberg and her father, Albert R. Broccoli, over the matter:

“Well, early on it was very sweet, because when he was a young filmmaker he approached my father. My dad said, ‘Yeah, kid, ya gotta get some more [films] under your belt. Years later, when he did Schindler’s List, my father wrote to him about how much he loved it. Spielberg then sent a really sweet note saying, ‘Now will you let me direct a Bond movie?’ [Laughs] My father said, ‘Now I can’t afford you!’ That’s the way of the world.”

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/james-bond-film-steven-spielberg-jgiro.php#sthash.4Qt2axub.dpuf

Aren't all the Bond directors British?

Nope, Martin Campbell and Lee Tamahori are New Zealanders, and Marc Forster is German/Swiss

New Zealand is still part of the British Empire though. Like Australia and Canada.

Foster was famously the first director not of the BE.

The British Empire? That's an old and quaint term to use.....the Commonwealth, on the other hand.